Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    After almost a week of use I just had my first randomn reset on my 700p. Checking the error log later, it reported a fatal exception with "Email". This sort of figures since it reset as it was loading Versamail. The device had not been soft reset since I got it and I had noticed that it was getting a bit slower during the last couple of days (I was starting to notice some of the delays people were talking about here). Also, my free memory had gone down to 47mb which seemed a bit low given that size of the apps installed.

    Anyway, after the soft reset it is MUCH faster and (now this is the wierd part for me) I seem to now have 54mb free. At first I thought that the reset may have killed some of my data, but looking through things everything seems to still be there. All of the applications are resuming where they left off, and it doesn't seem that any data was corrupted/destroyed in the process.

    This is my first Palm OS based mobile device in over 6 years so my question to some of the Treo veterans out there is; Is this normal?, Do resets free up or clean up some of the memory to the point where 6 - 8mb may become available?

    It did take a long time (maybe a minute) to come back after the fatal exception, but the other soft reset I did afterwards for good measure was much faster. I'm assuming it was doing some sort of cleanup after the first reset, but again if someone with Treo experience could verify this I'd feel better about the whole thing.
  2. #2  
    Do a search first and you will see that some of your problem is related to Versamail being unable to clear itself from cache and also some just due to random read error. You are lucky AND you do not have much on your phone to have so much free memory. Restarts do free up cache that has filled with the likes of Blazer and OnDemand. In your case, since you do not have many apps to begin with; the amount freed is huge because there are almost no background applications to fill up the cache on restart so you see a big increase. No data is destroyed and you should have no corruption UNLESS you were doing something that was write intensive to the card such as a backup in which case the backup file will likely be corrupt.

    Regards,

    Jim
  3. #3  
    That is why until there is a more stable OS with different applications...I only use the apps I really need, and no more to keep my treo efficient.
    at&t iPhone3G
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    That is why until there is a more stable OS with different applications...I only use the apps I really need, and no more to keep my treo efficient.
    Amen to that! The function of this iteration of NVFS and its dBcache has produced a large load of problems that will need to be addressed.

    Regards,

    Jim
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Do a search first and you will see that some of your problem is related to Versamail being unable to clear itself from cache and also some just due to random read error. You are lucky AND you do not have much on your phone to have so much free memory. Restarts do free up cache that has filled with the likes of Blazer and OnDemand. In your case, since you do not have many apps to begin with; the amount freed is huge because there are almost no background applications to fill up the cache on restart so you see a big increase. No data is destroyed and you should have no corruption UNLESS you were doing something that was write intensive to the card such as a backup in which case the backup file will likely be corrupt.

    Regards,

    Jim

    Thanks for the insightful response. I'm still getting used to the memory structure and some of the general quirks of the modern Palm OS, looks like an occasional soft reset is not a bad idea if it's being used a lot. My Treo seems much happier now (happier = faster).
  6. #6  
    Greetings everyone... I just upgraded our CFO to a 700p last week and I got a call this morning stating that he was unhappy with it because it kept doing random resets while he was trying to use it.

    I did not install the VersaMail or any other extra applications for that matter with the exception of our email interface. We are using NotifyLink to get our email (GroupWise 6.0).

    Any thoughts as to why this would be happening?
  7. #7  
    there will be more
    Visit me at myspace:
    www.myspace.com/stylestrumentals
  8. #8  
    I just wanted to say Congrats, and now you can experience "random resets" with all the other women you were waiting on to come AFTER your first.... Welcome to the gentlemens club.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGraves
    Greetings everyone... I just upgraded our CFO to a 700p last week and I got a call this morning stating that he was unhappy with it because it kept doing random resets while he was trying to use it.

    I did not install the VersaMail or any other extra applications for that matter with the exception of our email interface. We are using NotifyLink to get our email (GroupWise 6.0).

    Any thoughts as to why this would be happening?
    Rob, though I haven't had any personal experience upgrading from a 650 to a 700p, other posts I've read throughout this forum would seem to indicate that this sort of thing can happen if you try to sync the 700 with the user's 650 profile. In other words if you just plug the 700 in to the same machine and do a hotsync without using a new profile for the 700 then the 700 can possibly become unstable. I've had my 700 for two months now and I've personally had only one truely inexplicable reset which is the one I started this thread for, so what your boss is experiencing is not the norm with 700p's.
  10. #10  
    I got my boss to upgrade my 600 to a 700 and I did exactly that... used the same profile and did a hotsync. waiting to see if I start getting random resets...

    and what a difference between the two(600 VS 700). my god.. I love it so far.
  11. #11  
    Hey, I am at month now with no resets of any kind and I definitely have more apps on it than came, though most are work related. On the 700w front, week number three with no resets. Ben

Posting Permissions