1.    #1  
    As I am sure is true with many others, I am often reluctant to call a client from my cell because I don't want them to have my cell # via caller id. Of course, I can turn off the caller id on the call (*67), but that has it's own problems (then the person you're calling will probably not answer because they don't know who it is).

What would be ideal is if I could edit my caller id so that it is my office phone number that appears on the recipient's caller id rather than my actual cell phone #.

Is there any way to do this? It seems like such a simple need...

Thanks!
    Last edited by varoomba; 06/21/2006 at 01:34 AM.
    Dialing *67 before your client's phone number will prevent your cell number from being display on their caller id.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mandi
    Dialing *67 before your client's phone number will prevent your cell number from being display on their caller id.

Great point. However, I usually choose not to do that because then the person I'm calling often times doesn't answer at all because they don't know who is calling...

Thus the desire to have my work phone number show up as my caller id identifier so that they know who it is, just not what my cell number is...
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Not that I am aware of. I have on my secondary line the caller ID blocked. No matter what it doesn't show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    As I am sure is true with many others, I am often reluctant to call a client from my cell because I don't want them to have my cell # via caller id. Of course, I can turn off the caller id on the call (*67), but that has it's own problems (then the person you're calling will probably not answer because they don't know who it is).

What would be ideal is if I could edit my caller id so that it is my office phone number that appears on the recipient's caller id rather than my actual cell phone #.

Is there any way to do this? It seems like such a simple need...

Thanks!
    While I don't know about changing the # directly, here's a possible work around:

Does you office line support dialing out from an inbound call - i.e. can you cll your number, access your voicemail system and get an outside line? If so, you could call your work number, then dial out to the client; where depending on how your line is handled by your telex system they will see a recognizable number.

Jim
    No, there is certainly no legitimate way to spoof your outgoing caller ID which is basically what you are trying to do. That would be borderline illegal.
    There are services that will do this for you. Here's one:

http://spoofcard.com/
    call your cell ph company - i thought of this as i was activating the phones and got "meaningful" names

on my ph - my business name (although - i wasn't prescient "enough" - it puts last-name first and first-name last... grumble grumble)

and on my wifes ph - f-initial and last name (women are skittish about letting out too much info...)
    The RAZR has a semi-hidden option called "Hide ID" that makes your number come up as "No Caller ID", as opposed "Private Call" when you use *67. I have never found such an option on the Treo.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    call your cell ph company - i thought of this as i was activating the phones and got "meaningful" names

on my ph - my business name (although - i wasn't prescient "enough" - it puts last-name first and first-name last... grumble grumble)

and on my wifes ph - f-initial and last name (women are skittish about letting out too much info...)

Interesting. I've never heard of customizable ids - or 'meaningful' ids.

Yes, I've heard of things like

www.spoofcard.com
    www.spooftel.com
    www.telespoof.com
    www.callnotes.net

but I'm not real fond of them - for two reasons -

1) cost (10 cents per minute)
    2) these sites don't feel very legit. I'm guessing most folks who use this type of service are doing so because their use is not quite kosher...
    Beavis: Any others?

Thanks.
    This would be an awesome service for phone companies to offer: "Release name only on caller-ID." That way, the receiver gets what they want, who's calling, but you still get to hide your number.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbuckley
    Beavis: Any others?

Thanks.

http://www.spooftel.com/

Just do a google search for "spoof caller id" or "fake caller id". That's where I'm finding them.
    Spoofing your caller ID is not illegal in the slightest. On my Asterisk phone server here in my home office, I can set my outbound caller ID to whatever I want -- simple setting right there in the PBX software.

If you could dial into an office phone system and then get an outbound trunk, that would be one way to get the office's caller ID rather than your cell phone's. I do that, and dial into my home office box to get an outside line and that way it doesn't appear as though I'm using my cell phone. The call appears to be originating from my office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    No, there is certainly no legitimate way to spoof your outgoing caller ID which is basically what you are trying to do. That would be borderline illegal.
    Spoofing your caller ID is absolutely not illegal anywhere in the US. That is a loophole that telemarketers are taking great advantage of.

What is your basis for claiming it's illegal?
    Will be able to pass some of this info on the my police officers....many of them won't make calls to people because really....do you want the general public to have the personal phone number of a cop (and they are not department issued cell phones!).
  17.    #17  
    When I set up my phone I have to manually enter my "Mobile" number and my "MSID" number. Do one of these determine my caller-id? If I set one of them to my business number, would it show that as my caller-id?
    Last edited by varoomba; 06/23/2006 at 04:50 PM.
    I can block the caller ID On my unlocked GSM Treo 650 by selecting Phone settings off the Options menu of the Phone app.