Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's a simple idea for a utility that I would find very helpful - may others would too.

It is not uncommon for me to misplace my treo around my office or home. No problem if the ringer is on - I can simply call myself and listen for the ring. BUT... if the ringer is off, that doesn't help much (unless the Treo is on a hard surface, in which case the vibration is pretty loud!).

My suggestion:

Make a utilty like the security utilities that allow you to send a SMS to wipe out the phone - make it possible to send a SMS that overrides the volume off function and sounds some type of alarm so that I can hear and find my phone...

I know, it's lame that I need this, but hay - I do...
    Not a bad idea at all, if the hardware based volume switch can be overridden by software
    i would like this as well, but i feel the hardware switch cant be overridden
    well Butler has the ability to wipe out the phone ,lock it and wipe the SD card, the volume thing, forget it who know if that can be done
    How about you just remember where you put your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Just illustrates how different we all are. For example, I can't imagine ever forgetting where my $$$ Treo is!

But that's just me
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartr
    Just illustrates how different we all are. For example, I can't imagine ever forgetting where my $$$ Treo is!

But that's just me
    Yeah, the only way I'd lose mine is if I bought the $60 "give your treo feet" option that plugs right into the SDIO interface. Then it might actually walk away from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    I'll forget my house keys before i forget where i put my Treo,altho mines is easy to find, i just look wherever there is a charger, its usually there, damn gas guzzler that this thing is
    I don't believe this is possible. You can't override the hardware switch with software. I suppose you could write a program that spins the shaking mechanism constantly until you either hear it/feel it/ smell the smoke from the fire you just started
    If the hardware switch couldn't be overriden, petrhaps you could programmatically turn on the speakerphone and possibly also play a distinct sound through that.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  11.    #11  
    The speakerphone idea is an interesting one. I wonder if that would work...
    Or send an SMS message that dials your other phone with speakphone mode on.

BTW, a friend at work has the Disney family locator service (Sprint MVNO). First day, his kid left the phone on the car and wife drove off. The map on her phone showed where the phone was, a couple blocks down in neighbors yard.

The Treo has AGPS built in an could be tied to Sprint's family locator service but it would be pricey to just use for lost phone.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    The Treo has AGPS built in an could be tied to Sprint's family locator service but it would be pricey to just use for lost phone.
    I understand AGPS to only be only accurate within a couple of city blocks - perhaps it wouldn't be useful for a lost phone in an office. But it would tell you if you left the phone at work or at a friends house.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  14.    #14  
    Yep - my problem isn't where it is on the block - I know it's in my house. But where in my house... Pathetic isn't it? ! Granted, not often, but when it is missing it would be nice.
    I'd kill for this option on my BT headset. I misplace that thing once a day!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    I'd kill for this option on my BT headset. I misplace that thing once a day!

I am certainly with you on that. Actually that would be my top need but I just assumed that since it doesn't have a way to make an external noise, that it wouldn't be possible.

MAYBE someone could add a small external speaker of types that could be sounded by a device that is paired with it... That would be VERY helpful
    Sharper Image sells pairs of key ring thingies that transmit like remote controls causing each other to beep. I bought a pair for my wife's very expensive car remote, which she seemed to be losing often.

If you attached one to your phone, or any other object you're always misplacing, you can find it by clicking on the partner device, which you can always keep in a known place, like a jewelry box. I'm not sure how you'd attach it to a Treo, however. Maybe if you have a case with some kind of clip you could use that.
    how about using a cell phone battery that lights up when a phone rings? Call your cell and walk around your house untill the lights light up.

There are other kinds of sensors that light up when a cell phone rings.

My motorcycle actually has a light that lights up when my cell rings.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Only lay it on hard surfaces....then the rattle it makes when it vibrates will mnake it audible.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Or send an SMS message that dials your other phone with speakphone mode on.

BTW, a friend at work has the Disney family locator service (Sprint MVNO). First day, his kid left the phone on the car and wife drove off. The map on her phone showed where the phone was, a couple blocks down in neighbors yard.

Suggested this to the folks over at Mantragroup, who's mobiLock security app allows you to call a phone number by sending an SMS to the device (along with locking the device, wiping remotely etc, like other security apps out there):

http://www.mantragroup.com/forums/sh...=1348#post1348
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast