1.    #1  
    Hey,

A friend jsut GAVE ME a very well beat-up Sprint T650. He FOUND it about 6 months ago. Called the owner and let him know...guy didnt want it back and choose to make an insurance claim. When my friend tried to call Sprint to activate it, he made the mistake of telling them everything, so I have a feeling it's flagged as missing/stolen. But I'm going to try just calling Sprint and telling them I have a T650 that I need to activate...no details, or maybe even say I bought it as a refurb.

It's ugly, but no problems as far as working and not even a scratch ont he screen. The case is just beat to hell and almost all case screws are missing. SO, I was wondering, anyone ever tried painting or applying some sort of coating to their case? I was thinking a high gloss black eurthane would look good. Or maybe some sort of rubberized coating to increase grip? Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions? Oh, how do I get all the guts out of the case? And if it comes down to it...can I just buy a replacement case?

Thanks!
    Last edited by StormChaser; 06/20/2006 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Title Change
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Call Sprint before wasting any time trying to paint it. If it's flagged at all, you won't be able to use it.
    You could try eBay or ProMobility for a new case. I haven't taken apart the Treo myself, but I would assume there's some kind of mechanism which attaches the "mobo" to the case. If you decide to do this, can you please post a tutorial and pictures, I'm sure it would help a lot of people (not to mention me ).

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    You could try eBay or ProMobility for a new case. I haven't taken apart the Treo myself, but I would assume there's some kind of mechanism which attaches the "mobo" to the case. If you decide to do this, can you please post a tutorial and pictures, I'm sure it would help a lot of people (not to mention me ).
    How to disassemble the Treo 650
    http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2005/...your-treo.html

How to rubberize the sides of the Treo 650
    http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2005/...-650-side.html
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFuture
    Call Sprint before wasting any time trying to paint it. If it's flagged at all, you won't be able to use it.

Oh, no doubt. But I have a felling I can beg my way past any flags.Plus I heard that the flags only remain active for 6 months, which is why I waited this long. I'm also a business customer, i dont use Sprints regular customer dis-service. lol If they give me a hard time, I'll jsut say I bought it as a refurb. They can't really argue that...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  6.    #6  
    Well, I was wrong, the Flag is for life. How stupid. The phone is as useful as brick now. and from what I can see, it wasnt "lost"...he ditched it because it was beat.
    Dave
    Yup, as I mentioned before, Sprint doesn't mess around when it comes to flagged phones, despite the reason behind the flag.
    Well if it's a brick then you can send it to me

You now have a Treo which you can mess around with! Lucky you, try painting it anyways and see how it comes out, I would love to see a HOWTO on painting a Treo! Or you could jump in on Shadowmite's Linux project and build your own kernels! Oh the possibilities

If the phone is flagged by Sprint, couldn't someone get it to work on Verizon?
  10.    #10  
    If I unlocked it, I suppose, but I dont want to leave Sprint.
    Dave
    At some point I might paint mine and do the grip sides...I just cant figure out what color I want. Black is so boring.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Uh, stupid question.

How exactly would you paint it?

From what I think I have read on different posts, you could take the face of it off, uses some really fine sandpaper (2000 grit) and then primer it and then put some really nice paint on it followed by a clearcoat.

(I won't be doing this until I chip it a little more.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    You now have a great custom rom test device