Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have seen very good things said for both pieces of software but is there anyone who has speed tested them both to see if one is faster/works better then the other? There is a $10 dollar difference so if I can save ten and not lose much/anything I would prefer..

Let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by tru2life
    I have seen very good things said for both pieces of software but is there anyone who has speed tested them both to see if one is faster/works better then the other? There is a $10 dollar difference so if I can save ten and not lose much/anything I would prefer..

Let me know.
    There's a $20 difference between paying $20 and paying nothing. You can choose to pay nothing (if you like to keep your money) by looking on this forum for the tether hack.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have read about that but I also have read about instability and "endless loops".....The other thing is I read you have to have an SD card and an SD card reader to get the files into RAM on the Treo. As of right now I have an SD card but no SD card reader.

Are there other options to getting the hacked file over?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    If you are using a mac you have to opt for USB modem, PDA net won't work.

Also the tether hack sent mine into a reset loop
    yes use a prorgram like mobilestream's card reader to do this. Or hotsync the hack but when you install it move it to the sd card in the palm quick install, then it will sync over to your sd card.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Nice, thanks...........
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    OK, so I got the hack on the Palm, I think, now I trying USB first but I can't get the Notebook to see the Palm as a modem.....Do I have to use the Sprint Connection Manager software to get the drive on the notebook?

I hope not.......
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    So as far as I can tell I have to install all the Palm software and the connection manager in order to tether?
    Yes you need to download the latest Sprint Connection Manager, it's best if you check to install all the drivers on your computer that way you can connect any power vision phone (including the 700p). After you have it installed just hit connect and it should work.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I tried installing just the connection software but it is saying I need all the Pal software.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I think I am an *****.
    I installed everything and the connection manager doesn' even see my phone is connected.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    If you are going to use the phone often to connect your laptop to the internet, PDANet is a great solution. It is easily one of the most worthwhile pieces of SW I purchased. I am very technical, but I rely on my phone, and did not want to mess with hacking the firmware. PDANet was trivial to setup, use, and knock wood, it has worked every time. You can eval it for a short period of time before you have to purchase. If you don't really need to rely on this setup of having the phone give you internet access to your computer; you just need it occasionaly, or if it doesn't work, no big deal, then maybe its not worth the money. For me, when I travel, I often stay at inexpensive motels without wireless, and this is my connection back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi
    If you are going to use the phone often to connect your laptop to the internet, PDANet is a great solution. It is easily one of the most worthwhile pieces of SW I purchased. I am very technical, but I rely on my phone, and did not want to mess with hacking the firmware. PDANet was trivial to setup, use, and knock wood, it has worked every time. You can eval it for a short period of time before you have to purchase. If you don't really need to rely on this setup of having the phone give you internet access to your computer; you just need it occasionaly, or if it doesn't work, no big deal, then maybe its not worth the money. For me, when I travel, I often stay at inexpensive motels without wireless, and this is my connection back.
    I asked this on another thread. In proxy mode, you get a pop up window that gives you an explorer icon and there is a box that says +add. It is looking for some type of executable file. Am I in proxy mode if I just go with the explorer icon. Afraid of big charges if I am not. Hope you can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    I asked this on another thread. In proxy mode, you get a pop up window that gives you an explorer icon and there is a box that says +add. It is looking for some type of executable file. Am I in proxy mode if I just go with the explorer icon. Afraid of big charges if I am not. Hope you can help.
    You can just go with the default IExplorer (or you can add a different browser executable if you have Firefox or netscape.)

You still in the proxy mode, i.e. why they have the pop up windows with the add.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    I've got USB Modem working for me now, and it's working GREAT! The guys at Mobile Stream have been extremely responsive and helpful in getting this all squared away for me. I'm beginning to wonder if my problems weren't in USB Modem, but in a previous Network setup on my Mac, when I used to use an older Sprint phone as a modem.

At any rate, it gets a huge thumbs-up from me, as does the company.

Bob
    As someone pointed out in another post, you can go to PalmGear and purchase their "Meteor Breakout" game for $14.95 and they will give you USB Modem for free. At worst, you get a game - at best, USB Modem cheap and a free game!
    Quote Originally Posted by tru2life
    So as far as I can tell I have to install all the Palm software and the connection manager in order to tether?
    No. You do not need Sprint's software to use USB Modem. In fact, I use it on Linux (and others use it on Macs) where there is no Sprint software.
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    As someone pointed out in another post, you can go to PalmGear and purchase their "Meteor Breakout" game for $14.95 and they will give you USB Modem for free. At worst, you get a game - at best, USB Modem cheap and a free game!
    Yeah, that's what I did. I don't particularly like the game but I like getting USB Modem at a discount!
    I hotsynced the hack onto my 700p, putting it into a non-recoverable infinite reset loop -- nothing short of a hard reset would get me out of the loop.

I caution everyone against using this hack, since my experience was not good.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    Where do you see them giving away USB Modem w/ the game???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast