Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a Verizon customer, and I opted for insurance coverage at $5.99 a month. Normally, I would not, but as I've dropped every PDA I've ever owned (I couldn't use my T3 for months until I "slapped" it back into working order), I thought opting for insurance was a good deal.

Effectively, over the course of two years, the insurance (with $50 deductible) will cost $193.76. That's cheaper than replacing it with a new or even refurbished machine, but that's saying I will have to replace it. If I don't, I'm out $143.76.

I own a Treo 650, which is damaged and needs repairs, but I replaced that with the 700p. (BTW, I never would have bought the 650 knowing as I do now that it can't get broadband access--the rep told it could when Verizon upgraded their system!) I expect to keep my 700p for at least two or three years, unless Palm comes out with something truly remarkable. Given the changes between the 600 and the 700p, I do not expect something truly remarkable.

So what do you think. Is insurance a good idea?

I'm not having second thoughts, especially as I can sleep at night, knowing my PDA is covered even if I drop it from a moving car.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    I think insurance is necessary for these kinds on phones. It wouldn't be smart to buy a smartphone w/out insurance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I think insurance is necessary for these kinds on phones. It wouldn't be smart to buy a smartphone w/out insurance.
    I agree - I have had insurance since my Sprint Treo 300, never had to use it, but it is nice to know I have it.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    No insurance for me, at least not phone company insurance. $6/month is too high. I'd rather self insure.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Yeah, I don't believe in insurance either. I don't keep my phones long enough for it to be worth it.

Joe
    $700 phone...yeah!!!
    at&t iPhone3G
    you'll be kicking yourself if something happens to your phone and you didn't buy insurance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I did buy it even though in theory I'm opposed to insurance for such small items. Call it adverse selection if you must, but I know that I'm rougher on my stuff than many.
    helll yah! buy the insurance!
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    Yeah, I don't believe in insurance either. I don't keep my phones long enough for it to be worth it.

Joe
    I like to use them until they can't be used no more or until the next Treo upgrade comes, which seems to be every couple of years. I would rather spend money on beefing up my Hot Rod than buying phones all the time.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Count me in for the insurance. I have had it on my last 2 phones, and was forced to use it twice in about 4 years.
    I thought of it like this... it will take several years before the insurance surpasses the amount that I put into the phone (including software and hardware). It would be really expensive to replace the treo. So I went with the insurance...

Plus everyone here pretty much told me that I would be an ***** if I didn't (based off of posts that I read from different threads )
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    I passed.

I look at it a couple different ways:
    1) I got the phone for $300, so if I don't use it in 2 years, I've paid $144 for insurance - amounting to ~$450 for the phone for 2 years. (I went 1.5yrs with the 650 w/o issue)
    2) If I would have used the coverage once in 2 years if I had it, by not having it, I'm out ~$150 extra (assuming same $300 replacement cost which may be a BIG assumption) vs what I would pay for insurance.

For me the risk is low, so I'll deal with the penalty if I destroy it.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Verizon said they wouldn't cover the 700p when I spoke to them, but I have homeowners insurance anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    Verizon said they wouldn't cover the 700p when I spoke to them, but I have homeowners insurance anyway.
    I am not surprised...
    at&t iPhone3G
    What a lot of people don't understand though, is you paid 300$ for the phone, but you got a subsidized price. If you have to replace it, you will pay full retail of $649.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381
    What a lot of people don't understand though, is you paid 300$ for the phone, but you got a subsidized price. If you have to replace it, you will pay full retail of $649.
    I understand all to well...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    I do have insurance on my phone through Verizon. You should make sure you're homeowners insurance explicitly covers portable electronic devices, since mine (State Farm) would not cover it without an additional rider. The other problem with relying on homeowner's insurance, even with a separate rider, is that every claim counts against you. Enough claims, even small ones, and your insurance company can drop you or raise your rates. I did not want to jeopardize my homeowner's insurance for a $400 to $700 claim.
    I think it's wise to insure as well. I had my car broken into and the phone stolen once. In those days, as I undertood it, one had to make out a police report and provide the report number to the company working with Sprint on the insurance side (which I did). When I called to confirm that my 700p was covered, the current company (Lockline) told me that was no longer necessary and explained that if the phone had water damage, was stolen from ones desk or at Starbucks, was dropped and cracked open, all that was covered, no questions asked. Like KStewart said: On a $700 phone, yeah!
    I was using the bathroom at my sister's hoise. She's one of those women that freaks when the seat is left up. As I bent over putting it down, my 650 slipped out of my shirt pocket, and in the toilet.
    I was so glad I had insurance. I even told the nice lady at Lockline what happened, and got a chuckle.
    I'll keep my insurance.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast