Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    At first the Verizon rep said they wouldn't cover it, then I spoke to a different rep and they added the insurance. Does it matter if you buy the phone from palm as oppossed to verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    True - but for me the insurance is roughly equal to VZW's cancelation fee with a breakeven around 22 months (if you lose it) (6*24 = 144 [plus 50 if lost] vs 175 to cancel) so it is a wash - plus it covers wear and tear so if a button dies from use (I play a lot of games while in airports) or the speaker jack dies - I'm covered. I generally don't buy insurance becasue it is usually a losing proposition, especially since my homeowner's insurance covers electronics but they specifically exclude cell phones (but not PDAs - go figure); but in this case the risk of loss or damage is high enough to warrant it. One screen repair is well worth it - and I've busted two PDA screens over the last few years by dropping them.

In addition, a new contract will give you a different phone number - which is problematic if you use the phone for business. The alternative is to add a line at about 12 a month (after fees) and the do an ESN swap - but then you are out 288 for a two year contract; which is much more than the insurance cost.

In the end, it comes down to one's tolerance for risk and expected use pattern.
    1) I think you miss the point on a "new contract." on sprint or vzn you just add the phone on a new line on the same account and transfer numbers and cancel the first line. YOu are not out the $288 but only the caacenlation fee as you cancel the first line to which you have transeferd the new number keeping your old number

the maximum net cost for a new phone with the same number is always lowest new customer price minus cancelation fee. with sprint it has always been easy to get customer service to match this without going through the rigamaroll of actual cancelation (which does work), because they know you can simply sdd a line, transfer the original number you want to keep to the new line and cancel the original line.

(Out of contract the maximum cost is the lowest advertised new custoemr cost, which has already dropped from $399 to $199. One can always get sprint retention to match advertsied price on amazon scince they are autorized seller of sprintpcs)

2) again, like you I know that insurance on low cost items is almost never a good idea, but high priced handsets might be a difficult call if people with insurance on low costs handsets are mistakelnly underwritting us. My point though is the price in the 700p is falling. the motorola q is not for me but it as well as other new form factor handets are going to push the price of the 700p down for both new accoutns and replacements and that is soemthing to keep in mind. people saying that it will cost 640 to replace are mistaken.

Reallythe math is $199 + 175 minus -$50 (deductable) minus your monthly payments of insurance over an average of year (72/year plus tax), minus your loss of accumulated credits (75/year). the replacement value of the insurance is $175 not $650
    Last edited by aero; 07/03/2006 at 08:39 AM.
    so with Vz devices, whats the procedure if you want to make a replacement claim and do you get a new 700p or whatever is offered at the time of claim?

Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    Technically you are allowed to add insurance when you first purchase the phone at the retailer or anytime during your 15 day return window. Supposedly after that, they won't do it. I also believe that the replacement is a REFURB and not a brand new unit.

Also the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance is a Verizon thing, of course everyone uses Verizon right? LOL... when you call, tell them you are using an Exchange Server for email notification. This allowance is specifically for people using Exchange Servers for email notification, as those notifications come through as SMS messages and is a fix for lack of "push" email on some units.

I had to call twice before I got a CSR who would do it for me. The first one said it was for Windows Mobile devices only, but the second one said "okay, let me add it" and voila, done!

so how are these refurbs - just as good as new (comparable?)
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by aero
    1) I think you miss the point on a "new contract." on sprint or vzn you just add the phone on a new line on the same account and transfer numbers and cancel the first line. YOu are not out the $288 but only the caacenlation fee as you cancel the first line to which you have transeferd the new number keeping your old number
    That's interesting - have you gotten VZW to transfer a number from them to them?

the maximum net cost for a new phone with the same number is always lowest new customer price minus cancelation fee. with sprint it has always been easy to get customer service to match this without going through the rigamaroll of actual cancelation (which does work), because they know you can simply sdd a line, transfer the original number you want to keep to the new line and cancel the original line.
    While I have had luck cancelling and then returning within 30 days and getting a phone at the best price at the time, I got the impression it depends on your customer status - I have been with VZW for years at over $150 a month so they wanted to keep me.

The phone should be new customer price plus cancelation fee - since you pay that price plus the fee.

(Out of contract the maximum cost is the lowest advertised new custoemr cost, which has already dropped from $399 to $199. One can always get sprint retention to match advertsied price on amazon scince they are autorized seller of sprintpcs)
    Will they do that for a shared line - Amazon's price is generally for new service not add a line.

2) again, like you I know that insurance on low cost items is almost never a good idea, but high priced handsets might be a difficult call if people with insurance on low costs handsets are mistakelnly underwritting us. My point though is the price in the 700p is falling. the motorola q is not for me but it as well as other new form factor handets are going to push the price of the 700p down for both new accoutns and replacements and that is soemthing to keep in mind. people saying that it will cost 640 to replace are mistaken.

Reallythe math is $199 + 175 minus -$50 (deductable) minus your monthly payments of insurance over an average of year (72/year plus tax), minus your loss of accumulated credits (75/year). the replacement value of the insurance is $175 not $650
    While I agree that it's not $650 your math depends on wether you can get Sprint or VZW to give you a $199 price without the rebate rules (Amazon allows it for new service only at $0 or more a month and voids the rebate if you use it to create a new and cancel an existing account). If Sprint or VZW will give it to you for $199 on an existing line without a new contract go for it. (I actually did that but it was a very unique deal). We're ignoring any line charges between starting and cancelling as well as activation fees (which VZW waives for online activation). In the end if you don't need to keep a number then cancelling and getting a 200 treo makes sense; especially since you can always jump from Sprint to VZW or vice versa and port if you don't care about carriers.

While there are all types of permutations to getting a cheaper phone, my point is if the 6/month give syou 6 in utility then it makes economic sense to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    so how are these refurbs - just as good as new (comparable?)
    My experience with them is that they are like new. I've had 2 700w's and a 650 replaced.
    My experience with them is that they are like new. I've had 2 700w's and a 650 replaced.
    Like new...newer case and screen. In other words...How much is refurbed? Especially if it is a device that looks like it has milage with scratches and worn screen, and what is to be done to make a customer happy with it as a replacement to the customer's device that might have been well taken care of like new, only having internal problems? I wouold be pretty mad if I got a refurb that looked like it was in less condition than my previous device for the money spent on it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Like new...newer case and screen. In other words...How much is refurbed? Especially if it is a device that looks like it has milage with scratches and worn screen, and what is to be done to make a customer happy with it as a replacement to the customer's device that might have been well taken care of like new, only having internal problems? I wouold be pretty mad if I got a refurb that looked like it was in less condition than my previous device for the money spent on it.

I could not tell the difference between my replacements and and out of the box 700w/650 that was brand new.

My guess is that they reuse internals and screens after checking them and replace cases or just send new ones; they say refurbs even if they actually send a new unit to avoid being sued if you get one that was returned and refurbed
    I could not tell the difference between my replacements and and out of the box 700w/650 that was brand new.

My guess is that they reuse internals and screens after checking them and replace cases or just send new ones; they say refurbs even if they actually send a new unit to avoid being sued if you get one that was returned and refurbed
    Thanks...I just wanted more into, because I am paying for the insurance and wanted to know.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm definitely in for insurance. Sprint has replaced my 650 twice. This last time I had a bad screen and they didn't have a 650 in stock, so I won the bonus prize and got a 700p for no charge!!
    Yep insure it you will be sick if something happens and you have to pay full price to replace it. Better safe than sorry. I cover all phones on my account with insurance at least the first 8 months....including the Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall
    Yep insure it you will be sick if something happens and you have to pay full price to replace it. Better safe than sorry. I cover all phones on my account with insurance at least the first 8 months....including the Treo
    Ms randall there is some questiuon about Verizon policy but yo are with sprint and when you say full price you do not mean $650 but in reality $400 and falling minus wheatever you pay in insurance. On top of that an insurance claim restarts your one and two year discount avalialbilty.

If you make a claim in a year you will get a used 700p. Your costs will be the $83 with tax you paid for insurance, $75 in lost discount and $50 deducatable. This is wieghed against a phone which will continually be declining in price. So you reduce your benifit by $210.

That is why sprint will always sell you handset for at a maximum lowest new customer cost plus cancellation (ETF) fee.
    Doesn't Treo 700p comes with Palm one year warranty? If it broke, can't we get it repair by Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by batmon
    Doesn't Treo 700p comes with Palm one year warranty? If it broke, can't we get it repair by Palm?
    LOL. No.
    There's a one year warranty, but Palm basically has you contact the carrier to get service. Palm apparently has a an agreement with the carriers to have THEM service the branded handsets.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...treo700psprint

Unfortunately, this kinda screws everyone on Sprint, because Sprint doesn't service phones unless you have their handset replacement plan. So basically, if you want a warranty, then the ERP is mandatory on Sprint.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Sprint has a service and repair plan for $3.00 per month ( not widely advertised ) - (instead of the total equiptment plan for $6/month
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    Its not mandatory for the first year is it? There would be no point of the manufactures warranty then.
    I lost my 5-week old 700p last week. First time in 20 yrs I've lost a cellphone. Fortunately, I had signed up with Sprint's Total Equipment Replacement Plan (or whatever it's called). Since I had waited a week to sign up, there was an additional 3-week waiting period before the coverage went into effect. So I lost my Treo after the coverage was in effect for only one week. WHEW!!

When I contacted LockLine, they charged me the $50 deductible, and said that it would take 5 to 7 business days since the 700p was a new model, and that the replacement would probably be a refurb.

When I got home from work the very next day, a brand new 700p was waiting on the doorstep. It was not a refurb, and included the complete retail package. At least I have a backup headphone, charger and cable -- although I was out my $50 deductible, Palm hard case, bestskinsever skin and freebie 1gb memory card.

(I was a little nervous when the LockLine rep kept referring to the replacement as a "Treo 700". Every time he did, I clarified that it was a "700p" and not a "700w"). Consider me very happy with LockLine, and I'm sure glad I signed up with the insurance.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    You have to sign up within the first 30 days after purchase.
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234