Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero
    wrong. in box on ebay from reputable sellers with no contract needed they $500 or so. they will just get cheaper.
    Is that for new or used? THe insurance replacements are refurbs, I think.
    I also got the insurance.. and as long as the phone cost more than $300 - $400 to purchase new (currently $649) I'd say that it is well worth it for the peace of mind.

I've never destroyed a cell phone, but I have dropped a few and once very recently almost lost my phone (motorola v600 at the time) at a local Best Buy. I set it next to a printer I was playing with, forgot, walked over to another printer and when I came back it was gone. My first impression after looking around for it a bit was that it had been stolen, especially since I talked to the local assistant and he called the lost and found and they didn't have it. I can only imagine that if this had been my Treo 700p I'd be soiling myself at this point. Anyway, I gave it another 10 minutes, checked again, and it turns out someone had dropped it off at the customer service desk just then.

S*** happens, and I'd rather not have to worry about it costing me an instant $649 if it does. It would actually cost $50 less up front to cancel your plan, pay a termination fee, and then get a new phone and plan at the discounted price.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I have lost a phone in a car accident, had my son sit on one and break the screen, and been unlucky enough to have 3 different phones die after the warranty expired. My insurance has paid for itself many times over.
    I had 250 text messages for $5.00/mo. but just got the free PDA SMS 2000 Allowance added to my plan for free, so I cancelled the 250 TXT message plan and got the handset insurance for $5.99... so basically 99 cents more than I was paying before and got insurance AND 2000 SMS messages! Go Verizon!
  5.    #45  
    What's the free PDA SMS 2000 allowance?
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    You can find more information about the PDA SMS 200 Allowance here
    I've replaced over 25 treo 300's and 600's...bad luck? i'm all about the insurance policy.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    To those who are considering cancelling insurance; expect a visit from Mr. Murphy. You know the guy, the one you blame when at the worst possible time, the worst possible thing happens. He always shows up!

I figure after paying that much for the phone, and using it more than a regular phone (regular phone you take out of your pocket just for calls, this is used to text more, internet more, etc), it just has a larger probability of having something happen, and I want to be covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    You can find more information about the PDA SMS 200 Allowance here
    It's a Verizon thing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Ok, Those of you on verizon, how are you adding insurance? When I call they tell me they won't cover it.

Also, how is it this PDA SMS 2000 AllOWANCE is free and how do I ask for it without laughing...
    When I ordered the phone over the Web from VZW there was a place to add insurance. I then called and made sure it was on my account. I've never had problems getting my pda phones insured with VZW. As always, if the rep you call can't do it, say goodbye and call back. Eventually, you will get one who knows about it.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Thanks
    Technically you are allowed to add insurance when you first purchase the phone at the retailer or anytime during your 15 day return window. Supposedly after that, they won't do it. I also believe that the replacement is a REFURB and not a brand new unit.

Also the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance is a Verizon thing, of course everyone uses Verizon right? LOL... when you call, tell them you are using an Exchange Server for email notification. This allowance is specifically for people using Exchange Servers for email notification, as those notifications come through as SMS messages and is a fix for lack of "push" email on some units.

I had to call twice before I got a CSR who would do it for me. The first one said it was for Windows Mobile devices only, but the second one said "okay, let me add it" and voila, done!
    Last edited by SonnyS; 06/22/2006 at 08:10 PM.
    sonnys, THANK YOU - got free SMS 2000 added and removed txt plan.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    for those who say $6.00 a m/o for insurance is not worth it for a $300, $400 or $640(in the case of the 700p) for a phone, I ask you where are you getting your money? I got my 700p three weeks ago and YOU BET I insured it.
    A.S.d.l.C
    One of the Sprint Retentions agents commented to me that she thought that the Sprint insurance was only available at activation. I am not sure whether this means the first 15 days or if it is completely wrong.
    Given the audio jack problem, the answer for me is: Aw Hail Yeah!
    Having crushed my insurance-less 650 in early April, and being without any Treo for 2 months while I waited for the 700p -- YES. I GOT THE INSURANCE THIS TIME!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwheeler
    for those who say $6.00 a m/o for insurance is not worth it for a $300, $400 or $640(in the case of the 700p) for a phone, I ask you where are you getting your money? I got my 700p three weeks ago and YOU BET I insured it.
    your 700p is not a $640 phone. maximum replacement cost is $450 even if you are in contract and qualified for no discount. E.g worst case scenario. new contract 700ps are on amazon and compusa for $299. this means even with a $150 cancellation fee worst case scenario is a cost of $450 even if you have to add one line and cancel another to get a brand spanking new 700p -- not the $650 some here have said.
    call it the "q effect."
    Last edited by aero; 07/03/2006 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero
    your 700p is not a $640 phone. maximum replacement cost is $450 even if you are in contract and qualified for no discount. E.g worst case scenario. new contract 700ps are on amazon and compusa for $299. this means even with a $150 cancellation fee worst case scenario is a cost of $450 even if you have to add one line and cancel another to get a brand spanking new 700p -- not the $650 some here have said.
    call it the "q effect."
    True - but for me the insurance is roughly equal to VZW's cancelation fee with a breakeven around 22 months (if you lose it) (6*24 = 144 [plus 50 if lost] vs 175 to cancel) so it is a wash - plus it covers wear and tear so if a button dies from use (I play a lot of games while in airports) or the speaker jack dies - I'm covered. I generally don't buy insurance becasue it is usually a losing proposition, especially since my homeowner's insurance covers electronics but they specifically exclude cell phones (but not PDAs - go figure); but in this case the risk of loss or damage is high enough to warrant it. One screen repair is well worth it - and I've busted two PDA screens over the last few years by dropping them.

In addition, a new contract will give you a different phone number - which is problematic if you use the phone for business. The alternative is to add a line at about 12 a month (after fees) and the do an ESN swap - but then you are out 288 for a two year contract; which is much more than the insurance cost.

In the end, it comes down to one's tolerance for risk and expected use pattern.
    Last edited by jcoffey; 07/03/2006 at 07:27 AM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast