1.    #1  
    Ok, I've been using a Treo 600 and 650 for the last 3 or so years.

Mainly, I have used SnapperMail and ZLauncher plus a couple of other applications but those two mainly. I always have around 4 meg of memory +/- depending on how many photos and e-mails I leave on the device.

But, I have been reading through "essential" applications and loaded a variety on the device this morning and going to play with them.

Doing this, it has depleted my available memory down to about 1/2 to 1.5 meg of ram.

As I said above, I had SnapperMail, ZLauncher, Texas Hold'em (by RealDice.com), SplashPhoto, SplashShopper, BackupMan, VeriChat, PocketTunes and the basic installs that you get from Palm off the CD.

I added - Aggendus Pro (trial, v11), DirectoryAssistant, FileZ, KeyCap 600, TakePhone, VolumeCare ...

And, when I try to run Aggendus Pro - it tells me I don't have enough memory (which I probably didn't!) and even trying to use Blazer -it tells me I don't have enough memory (which I have 1.2 mb free now... so that doesn't make sense to me).

Anyway, I see that some people run some of these apps off of your SD card and some move programs back and forth ... I don't really understand where all my memory is taken up with -- except, I can browse them using FileZ or whatever and see what is taking up space. I just don't really understand what I can move over to the SD card and run from there etc.

Can someone point me to a resource which explains this or help me figure this out?

also, I tried to delete the RealOne player and I can't get it to go to the trash can - what is best way to delete some of these when they won't delete?

TIA
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    look for teal alias or power run and move games if u have to ur card. I don't use it but u can also use zlauncher to move applications to ur card. As u have just used zlaun and snappermail I think most of ur memory is filled up with left over files from deleted emails or trial sf u might have used in past. The best way to make more room is hard reset and than install all the sf one by one. Search here and u will find many threads on how to do this. hope this helps...
    Since you already use ZLauncher, you can use it to move apps to your SD card. The makers of ZLauncher also have a program called ZLink, that is solely for the moving of apps to the SD card, without the bells of whistles of ZLauncher. I use ZLink and am most happy with it.

A rule of thumb as to what must be run from RAM and what can be run from the SD card...

Run from RAM: If it sets off an alarm, an alert, runs in the background or must access the data connection on its own.

Run from SD: Most apps that dont require the above can be moved and run from the SD card. Some apps can be moved to SD, but require their database to remain in RAM.

As for RealPlayer, it resides in ROM and cant be deleted nor does it take up any of your RAM.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both. I think I'll hard reset it and re-install all fresh.
    There are times when installing an app can cause problems on your Treo. To fix this you hard reset, then resync your Treo, only to have the troublesome app reinstall. To prevent this its good practice when you want to hard reset and perform a clean install to rename your BACKUP FOLDER. The backup folder can be found here...

program files/palm[or handspring]/username/backup

I recommend you do the following...

1: Hotsync your Treo
    2: Rename your backup folder (backup_old or backup_date)
    3: Hard reset your Treo
    4: Hotsync, being sure to select your username when asked

This will install only the default databases (contacts, todo, datebook, memo) and create a fresh backup folder. Then you can reinstall your apps as needed, either by downloading new versions and taking the individual PRC files from the previously renamed backup folder. Also keep in mind that in most cases, any apps you have moved to the SD card wont get backed up during a hotsync. So, before you do the hotsync prior to the hard reset, move the apps on your SD card back to RAM.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I also use ZLauncher and have most everything in one of its application folders. I have found 2Day does not care to be moved around, as in my situation it will reset. The really big apps take time to load, Quick Time did not like to be moved around. Over all though I am very pleased, as I have 10-12mb free and am at 11.7mb free at this time on my Sprint Treo 650. Ben
  7.    #7  
    CGordonn - you were reading my mind! I have been meaning to search the boards for just this and you answered it before I had to ask! THANKS!! Trying it now...

Clinger ... than you. Will try ZL as well to manage my apps!
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_tex
    CGordonn - you were reading my mind! I have been meaning to search the boards for just this and you answered it before I had to ask! THANKS!! Trying it now...

Clinger ... than you. Will try ZL as well to manage my apps!
    Happy to help
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
  9.    #9  
    Just to update this - amazing! - I have most of apps re-installed (but my e-mail data is not there ... but wasn't too big anyway) - but I am showing about 16 MEG FREE now. Wow.
    Zlauncher does an excellent job there. You also should look at the apps that you have that need to be in main memory and see if any can be consolidated. I see a lot that may come in handy, but are they necessary and of course the games can be moved without a care there. Agendus, all of the Splash, FileZ, Directory Assistant, et cetera, those can be moved to the card. Since I do not do file streaming, I have moved pTunes to the card.

The file manager incorporated in Zlauncher is not as robust or reliable as FileZ, so I would move it rather than delete it.

Ben