1.    #1  
    I would welcome help and information from anyone who has used the new Garmin C550 GPS. After doing considerable research on various GPS systems, I elected to buy the C550 because it was supposed to be compatible with my TREO 650 as a bluetooth speakerphone. I am totally disappointted with the unit and see no reason to spend $200 for a C550 over the TomTom Go 510 or similar units. The C550 easily pairs with my Treo and then immediately disconnects. Operation from that point is unreliable. It may or may not let you place calls. It may or may not answer the phone when it rings. I suspect that its reliability is very similar to the TomTom Bluetooth GPS units. Fortunately I bought this unit at Circuit City and can return it. I will try it for another day or two but it is more than likely going back to the store. I just don't have the time or desire to spend many hours doing Garmin's homework for them. When they state that it is compatible it should work out of the box no issues.

I would welcome comments from anyone who has gotten the C550 to work reliably with a Treo 650,

Thanks,

Frustrated
  2.    #2  
    Talked to Garmin and made a few adjustment to my Treo. Bluetooth is now working well for placing and receiving calls. Call history works well for placing calls to previous callers. There are some limitations to transfering the phonebook to the Garmin GPS but these were noted by Garmin on their website in the compatability guide.

RKF
    What did you have to do? I bought the same unit yesterday and am seeing the disconnect issues. I was going to try to see if I could upgrade the software on the C550 then call Garmin...but maybe you could save me some wait times.
    Also, any input regarding general suggestions, impressions, tips, etc. regarding the use of these two units together would be appreciated.
    Well, Garmin was able to offer that I need to enable "Car Kit", but wasn't able to make any suggestions on where to find this. I'm on a Verizon phone, and hope that they haven't disabled this.
    Verizon transferred me to PalmOne, who wasn't much help.

It's as if the Bluetooth is in a sleep state until there's an active call (incoming or outgoing), when the unit will work as a wireless headset. But as far as initiating a call from the Garmin, or accessing the phonebook...no luck.

So apparently there's a passive connection between the two, and not an active one.

Maybe another call to Garmin will help.
    Last edited by PabloTX; 06/26/2006 at 09:45 AM.
    After getting more and more runaround from PalmOne, Verizon (who even tried to pass me off to Motorola for Bluetooth Support), and Garmin (who has been most helpful), I'm starting to get the impression that this is just another victim of Verizon's crippled Bluetooth implementation.

Here are the instructions provided by Garmin:

The initial connection needs to be made from the Treo 650 to the c550. Below are the instructions on how the pairing should be done.

Search and select the c550.
    Enter the passkey of 1234.
    Select the type of handsfree device to be car kit (this option should appear after the passkey is accepted and the Treo disconnects from the c550).

Select done. It usually takes about 10-20 seconds for the Treo to connect to the c550 after done is selected.
    However, I never get an option to select which kind of pairing I want.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    After getting more and more runaround from PalmOne, Verizon (who even tried to pass me off to Motorola for Bluetooth Support), and Garmin (who has been most helpful), I'm starting to get the impression that this is just another victim of Verizon's crippled Bluetooth implementation.

Here are the instructions provided by Garmin:

However, I never get an option to select which kind of pairing I want.
    PabloTx

Sorry to be so long in responding. I hope you got things worked out. To get my 650 to work with C550, I had to upgrade my 650 to the latest update from PalmOne for my Sprint Treo 650 phone. The upgrade process also installed some additional bluetooth carkits for my phone. After completing the upgrade, I went through the normal bluetooth paring process but instead of choosing headset, I was able to choose carkit. Once the pairing was complete the phone and the Garmin C550 starting working together. I haven't had any problems since. Whenever both the phone and C550 are in range of each other the bluetooth phone functions are available.

Before upgrading, I had exactly the same expierence that you are describing. I would get the phone and C-550 to connect for a few seconds but then they would disconnect. I could get the C-550 to accept a call after I answered on the Treo but that was about it. No placing calls or answering calls from the C-550.

Hope this helps. Do you have the latest firmware update for you phone installed?

RKF
    I do, but again, I never ever see any options as far as what type of connection I want to setup. I'm about positive that it's Verizon's crippled firmware.

The only time I can use the setup for calls is when initiating a call from my Treo...otherwise, it just doesn't work.

I've even tried manually installing the carkit .prc (both directly or copying to the SD card then over to the 650)...with no luck.
    I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 360, which I believe has the same BT features as teh Garmin C550, and have been trying in vain for several days to establish a stable BT connection with my Treo 650.

I not only have the same problems of connection dropping after a few seconds, it gets worse: everytime I switch on the Nuvi within range of the Treo, the Treo does a soft reset. Really annoying!

The BT connection doesn't stay live long enough for the Treo's speed dial list (pseudo Address Book) to transfer. The call history log barely makes it before the connection drops.

The only way I have found to originate a call from the Nuvi is (1) wake up the Treo; (2) on the Nuvi, tap Settings > Bluetooth > Connections Change... > select Treo; (3) wait for the connection to make and then as fast as I can back out to the main menu, tap the phone icon, and place the call from the call history or the dial pad.

Sometimes can't do it fast enough, and frankly a rather dangerous number of screen taps while you're driving.

This is really disappointing, as I chose the Nuvi over other GPS units largely because of the BT handsfree functionality. If anyone knows how the fix this, please post here.

BTW, I've already downloaded the latest software updates for both the Nuvi and the Treo. No improvement. How do I know whether or not I have the latest firmware for the Treo?
    Now showing up on Garmin's site:
    Please be advised that the Verizon Wireless version of the Treo 650 will not work with Garmin devices at this time.
    http://www.garmin.com/bluetooth/comp...?mfg=36&id=220

Thanks Verizon.
    Anyone with Verizon should check out this thread on GPS Passion.

QDeath provided the files you need, and while it's a little scary updating your ROM with unofficial sources and methods, the results are well worth it.
    It's nice to know someone has figured out how to make a TREO talk to a GARMIN. It still sounds quite complicated to me, however, downloading 17 files, mixing and matching Sprint and Verizon things, and using "T650 Tools to rebuild my ROM"?. C'mon, I just want to talk on my phone and keep my hands on the wheel. If anyone out there is smart enough and so inclined (PALM ENGINEERS PERHAPS??? PLEASE LISTEN!!!) to make this into a nice official file that an ordinary person can download-and-drag-into-their-palm-folder type application, please know that I, and it seems MANY others, would be very grateful. PALM, VERIZON, and GARMIN should ALL have a vested interest in this. PLEASE make it happen.

One last question...does anyone know it the new TREO 700P works with GARMIN C550 or NUVI 360? I would upgrade immediately if it did, it's that important to me to be able to talk on my phone, navigate and keep my hands on the wheel all at the same time. Again, PALM and VERIZON, please note.

Sincerely

Fr. James Glass
    p.s I am a priest and will even bless you if you do this.
    Take a look at the thread I linked to in my last post. The files you need are linked to.

All you have to do it unzip the file, place the two folders on your SD card, then run the apps from your treo.

No "downloading 17 files, mixing and matching Sprint and Verizon things, and using "T650 Tools to rebuild my ROM", etc.