Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Ok so, after being a treo user for quite some time now I finally decided I would try another browser over Blazer. For a long time I was hesitant to install Opera mostly because I didnt want to go through the hassle of installing Java and also because I always figure the more stuff you install the more likelyhood you have of getting reboots and other problems.

Anyway, after checking out Kmaps and really wanting to install that I went ahead and installed Java using this link..

http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/

Then I installed Kmaps ( which is great )

So since I had already installed Java I fig'd Id take advantage of Opera mini.

I installed the version available for free download here at treo central. 2.0.3920

Well I really do love it, it works fantastically. 10 times better than Blazer IMO, however I can only use it for about 5 mins before it causes my Treo to reboot. So Im wondering if anybody has experience with this if they can give me any tips of either a more stable version of Opera mini or maybe Java which would help. I know several people brag up and down about Opera and now I can see why, but Im assuming if they had the same crashing problems as me they wouldnt be bragging so hopefully somebody knows a way to make it more stable. I really love the app so if anybody can help I really would appreciate it.
    thx
    I love gadgets.
    increase the cache size in opera mini to 8 mb. should solve your problem.
    Did you configure it for high resolution coordinates & double buffering under preferences? If you are using the 650, I'd recommend 4MB/8kb stack (though some must keep it at 1MB/2kb default for stability reasons). For the 700p I use 8MB/16kb.

Also, disable smooth scrolling in Opera's preferences, and (best practice) try to use the 5 way to navigate the page and click on links as much as possible, as the stylus clicking sometimes freezes it.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    how do u change fonts and window size? is it possible to remove the top bar but not the bottom 'cuz I want a clock while surfing!
    Are you using Chattermail? I have stability problems with Opera when Chattermail is running, unless i use 1mb/4k.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    where can I go to change the cache size? I go to Menu/Tools/Settings and I have only appearance options and time options.
    thanks
    I love gadgets.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwguy
    where can I go to change the cache size? I go to Menu/Tools/Settings and I have only appearance options and time options.
    thanks
    There is no cache, it piles everything into execution memory (as you can see when you press 'Back'), but it doesn't save it to the device. That's why when you open Opera it takes you back to the home screen.
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    um ok so then what do people mean by change the cache and buffering settings? How do I do that?
    I love gadgets.
    Ah yes, go here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6537&p=1010240

Edit: those are 700p instructions, for the 650 i recommend either 4mb/8kb stack or 1mb/4kb stack
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    ahh in JAVA settings.. thanks man I appreciate it.

I love gadgets.
    I can't seem to paste URL's into Opera. What's the deal with that? Opera doesn't support copy and paste? Or am I missing something?

Also, why does Opera constantly ask me if it can use airtime? Can this prompt be eliminated?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    I can't seem to paste URL's into Opera. What's the deal with that? Opera doesn't support copy and paste? Or am I missing something?

Also, why does Opera constantly ask me if it can use airtime? Can this prompt be eliminated?
    Go into my widgets and get the j9secpol.prc in any of them, install that and the prompt magically disappears.

As for pasting, I've found no way to do it on the 700p, but with the 650, when you're on a text field, hit the right Alt key and you'll be in a paste friendly environment.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    well, made all the changes suggesed and it still crashes repeatedly. Maybe its conflicting with another app I have installed. I dont use chattermail but maybe something else. Oh well, looks like im goin back to Blazer
    I love gadgets.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    the crashing problem does not go away. whenever opera is set to load images, and not even high res, it eventually crashes. no matter what.

however, the attached latest version of opera mini 2.0.4062 is a bit
    more stable than previous.

but not perfect.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by drensin
    the crashing problem does not go away. whenever opera is set to load images, and not even high res, it eventually crashes. no matter what.

however, the attached latest version of opera mini 2.0.4062 is a bit
    more stable than previous.

but not perfect.
    That's right! that hadn't occurred to me.. The other version before 4062 was very crashy.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    installed this version and its way more stable. thanks drensin.
    thanks to you too g-funk.
    I love gadgets.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk
    how do u change fonts and window size? is it possible to remove the top bar but not the bottom 'cuz I want a clock while surfing!
    anyone? or it's not possible??
    is it possible to use shortcuts on opera any one able to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Go into my widgets and get the j9secpol.prc in any of them, install that and the prompt magically disappears.
    G - what or where is "my widgets"?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    G - what or where is "my widgets"?
    I meant the java programs in my signature, like hourlyXcast for example.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast