1.    #1  
    Hello, noobee here.
    I purchased an unlocked 650 originally Cingular.
    I have not utilized a service for it yet.

Is there any advantage to going with either Cingular or Verizon- that anyone can think of? Verizon is slightly better reception wise, but more expensive. So leaving that out of the equation, what are things I should be aware of about the service provider and this unlocked phone?
    I will be syncing to Mac OS.

Cheers
    u won't be able to use it on Verizon. (CDMA)
    The phone u have is GSM only.
    Just call me Berd.
    Your options are T-Mobile and Cingular (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $may$ $be$ $other$ $GSM$ $providers$ $in$ $your$ $area$). $I$ $don$'$t$ $really$ $know$ $anything$ $about$ $GSM$ $carriers$ $and$ $which$ $ones$ $are$ $good$. $Your$ $best$ $bet$ $would$ $be$ $to$ $compare$ $which$ $GSM$ $carriers$ $have$ $good$ $service$ $in$ $your$ $area$ $and$ $then$ $pick$ $one$.
    T-mobile has better minutes plans, but cingular has a better data plan. Dont believe the hype from cingular about the rollover minutes, because think about it, if you are not using up all of your minutes, what good are rollover minutes going to do for you. But from a marketing perspective, the rollover idea is pure genius. I bet the person who thought of that idea recieved one heck of a bonus!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulig13
    T-mobile has better minutes plans, but cingular has a better data plan. Dont believe the hype from cingular about the rollover minutes, because think about it, if you are not using up all of your minutes, what good are rollover minutes going to do for you. But from a marketing perspective, the rollover idea is pure genius. I bet the person who thought of that idea recieved one heck of a bonus!
    What's nice about the rollover is it takes away the worry of getting a huge bill for going over your minutes. If you gather a lot of extra minutes, you can switch your plan to the bare minimum and live off your rollover for a while. However, you may never use all the minutes. Before I moved to Sprint, I had almost 9000 minutes built up in my rollover bank.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  6.    #6  
    Data? Like what? Sorry, I am a little green!
    I have both Cingular and Verizon. I use a Cingular Treo as my primary phone and the Verizon as the backup. In order of importance:

Reason 1 - Cingular's reception is unmatched in my expereince in NYC tristate area ... I haven't used my "back up" Verizon phone since April 10th .... of 2005.

Reason 2 - I much prefer GSM phones, biggest factors being the 50% greater battery life and the ability to swap SIMS.

Reason 3 - Plans are much cheaper than Verizon, especially data ... like internet access, e-mail, SMS messaging. When I signed up, Sprint's data package was $5 less but voice was $10 more making the cheapest alternative available for me. I am on theMediaMax200 plan which is unlimited internet / e-mail and 200 text messages a month for $19.99 plus 4 phones sharing 850 minutes for $89.99 a month.

Reason 4 - Rollover, free in-carrier calling and nights and weekends . Tho other carriers are expanding the latter option to match Cingular now, I take big advanatge of rollover. More than 75% of the people I call are on Cingular so I save huge here too.

I love rollover as phone usage in my family varies drastically. With the suummer season coming up ....kids off of school, their phone use triples....I get 10 months to save up 7000 minutes to be spent over summer. Also my usage doubles at least during good weather, not only are most people outside more but as an engineer, construction projects I have to oversee are built only when weather is nice (March - October)....there's often no land line service on construction sites making cell phones only option.
    I have cingular with 3 phones can the mediMax200 be shared between phones...
    Talk (Voice) Minutes can be Shared.
    Data (Email & Web) Can Not be Shared. And they are not Rolled-Over Either.
    Just call me Berd.
  10.    #10  
    stroths "Cool" outfit, it must REALLY protect you from the summer sun, but doesn't it get hot in there? lol
    Why is it that off their site, I can't seem to get to the Media Max plans when I just click on data plans. But obviously, following the link posted I can get to it.I just saw that I can access it under media services. Is there a minimum contract? Can I get a prepaid voice plus Media net? I should probably call Cingualar myself!
    As mentioned before, your unlocked phone is GSM, making your options Cingular or T-Mobile.

Look the coverage maps over carefully. If you travel to rural America, Cingular has the coverage, by far.

If you travel internationally and stay only in major metro areas, T-Mobile may be a lesser expensive option, though Cingular's international coverage is very good as well.

For me, it's all about the coverage availability, because when I need a phone I need a phone. I travel regularly, both nationally and internationally, to all sizes of destinations. I use Cingular because of the network availability, even tho I sometimes roam while abroad.

Lastly, I don't use network data services with my T650, because at least once a day I'm in a wireless hotspot (hotel, airport, coffee bar, etc). And I LOVE my Enfora sled!

BLast...
    "...Reason 1 - Cingular's reception is unmatched in my expereince in NYC tristate area ... I haven't used my "back up" Verizon phone since April 10th .... of 2005..."

In north-central NJ (along route 22) I found Cingular marginal or non-existing. I have to go out the restaurant to call while in downtown Somerville (county seat) where as T-Mo works just fine.

At the western end of somerset county, coverage is near non-existing along rt22 until 10 miles west to near Clinton area.

Verizon on the other hand works very well in those areas. It all come down to, where is the nearest tower. If Verizon uses a SIM, I'd jump over in a heart beat. I like the flexibility I have using a SIM.

Too bad almost all CDMA carriers avoid SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by telephonitis
    Hello, noobee here.
    I purchased an unlocked 650 originally Cingular.
    I have not utilized a service for it yet.

Is there any advantage to going with either Cingular or Verizon- that anyone can think of? Verizon is slightly better reception wise, but more expensive. So leaving that out of the equation, what are things I should be aware of about the service provider and this unlocked phone?
    I will be syncing to Mac OS.

Cheers
    I used to have Verizon with my Kyocera 7135. I have never used Verizon with a 650. I have Cingular on a Treo 650. I am in the Chicago metro area and have found that Cingular and Verizon have similar reception, with Cingular being better in the downtown area, inside buildings, etc. I also feel you get more voice minutes, data minutes, etc. for the money with Cingular. Verizon is a reliable network, and, because it is CDMA, the phone can switch to analog when there is no digital signal, which makes making calls while you're on vacation in the Rockies possible, where as Cingular isn't as good there. The Cingular family plans, and mobile to mobile plans, and free nights and weekends can really cut down on your costs if you have all the people, like your various teenagers who would otherwise run up your phone costs, on your plan. If you travel out of the country, then you need a GSM phone because your CDMA won't work. My Verizon phone wouldn't work in Cozumel mexico, and I had to borrow a good samartan's GSM phone to call my wife when I was stranded in a tropical storm there a coulpe of years ago. My conclusion after using both is that, when my two years comes up in February 2007, I'll probably reup with Cingular.
    Strange. My VZW CDMA phone (Treo 650) works all over Mexico. It even worked when I was in the little country town of Zapatapec which is DEEP in the country about a two hour drive from Mexico City.

Stalker768
    Like somebody said above, you seem to get a better deal with Cingular, but in Chicago, I think Verizon performs a little better. I seem to get a lot of dropped calls on my Cingular phone than on my Verizon work phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKozicki
    ...Verizon is a reliable network, and, because it is CDMA, the phone can switch to analog when there is no digital signal.
    But (unlike the old Kyocera 7135), the 650 doesn't have the analog band...