Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I was about to order the bluetooth kit to retrofit my E38 (7 series), but then I read some bad things on a BMW forum I browse (bimmerboard.com). Some people were saying that the 650 worked ok, but not the 700p. Any positive or negative experiences?

Thanks.
    Both phones work well with my X5 with Bluetooth. Let me know if you have more questions.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Thanks for your response. I finally decided to save a few bucks and go with the Parrot 3100 which should be here anyday. I was a bit concerned after reading the responses here:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/207391
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    What year is your E38? Take a guess at what my car is, 'E36/8' and yes that is the model designation. A parrot BT car kit is a really good choice.
    I've used both a 650 and a 700p with a 2006 330i. What I've seen:

1.) Both work and transfer only the contacts in the favorities. An important warning, any extra digits set in any of the favorites causes the 700p to do into a reset loop every time it connects via bluetooth. Removing the extra digits fixes the problem.

2.) Both show the signal strength on the stereo display. The 650 works fine. The 700p sends the strength when first connected but the 700p doesn't seem to be updating the signal strength display.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    bcaslis,

That is interesting that the 700 works for you, the posting I mentioned from bimmerboard.com showed several who had the 650 working fine, but the 700p had various issues.

NRG,

??? you kind of lost me on the year/model designation thing? I have a 1996 750iL. I know it is 10 years old, but it looks brand new inside and out and just hit 100k miles. I am looking for an excuse to get rid of it, but can't find one, so I figured I would add the BT Parrot.

I was doing some late night reading last night on bmwtips.com and am going to try to wire the Parrot directly into the BMW pre-wire for the OEM and it should integrate perfectly. I know the Parrot works flawlessly with the 700p because I got a Parrot for my wife a few weeks ago and it is quite nice.
    There does seem to be one problem with my X5 - the callerID display on the car shows the last number dialed, not the incoming call number when the phone rings.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    As a follow up, I had the Parrot 3100 professionally installed after about 7 hours of trying myself. I could not be happier with it. I got it for $170 shipped, $50 for the wiring harness to make it easier to connect, and $100 to install it. I would highly recommend the unit to anyone looking for something similar.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas

NRG,

??? you kind of lost me on the year/model designation thing?
    I was asking if you knew what model the E36/8.

I really like the E38 series, although the later years are the ones I prefer, especially the 'Sport' models.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    As a follow up, I had the Parrot 3100 professionally installed after about 7 hours of trying myself. I could not be happier with it. I got it for $170 shipped, $50 for the wiring harness to make it easier to connect, and $100 to install it. I would highly recommend the unit to anyone looking for something similar.
    Congrats I hope you enjoy.