Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
    Count me in, as well. Would it be possible to make an "antenna-less" modification? I would *love* it, if it could be flush at the top. Maybe run the antenna underneath the battery cover?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Sounds great - I'd be interested if the price was around $30.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge

I think if the final product looks like this, it would be perfect. If it were flush at the top, it may look awkward because of the little raised casing around the antenna.
    Yeah, that's awesome. I want THAT.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    But, how will I get my Treo out my pocket after you saw off the handle!

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    omg, we need these sooon... getting sooo impatient...lol
    I would be very interested because it looks great, however the price has to be no more than $30 to make it a good buy.
    Make one for the 700P and I'm in for one.
  9.    #89  
    I will definitely consider a 700P/W version if the current one will sell well.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I'm in if you can get a 700p version for under $30.

I have a 650 antenna on my 700... not much of a change.

Anything aftermarket fitting good on the 650 will fit good on the 700 antennawise... you will just need to add a slot in the antenna to have it fit the 700.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I have a 650 antenna on my 700... not much of a change.

Anything aftermarket fitting good on the 650 will fit good on the 700 antennawise... you will just need to add a slot in the antenna to have it fit the 700.
    Could you post a close up picture of the way the 650 antenna sits on the 700. For a few angles if you can. This will help a lot.

Thanks. zoti.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoti
    In the last few months I have checked to possibility of producing a shorter antenna to replace the bulky one that always breaks off the Treo 650.

You can see my concept here:

http://www.siamstarmuaythai.com/misc/santenna.jpg

I'm now finalizing the design and I would like to get some feedback as to how many of you would buy this product.

I would also like to know what you think the cost of such a product should be.

Thanks,
    zoti
    Always breaks off Not an issue for me, what are you guys doing to your babies...mistreating them?
    count me in!
    In the last few months I have checked to possibility of producing a shorter antenna to replace the bulky one that always breaks off the Treo 650.
    Are you using a grinder to reduce the rubber down to a smaller size then finishing off with sanding to smooth the surface? If so then what was Palm's purpose for using all that rubber if there is no wire running through it? What's unfortunate is that with out a new case design the antenna is still raised above the surface of the main body.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 06/24/2006 at 05:14 PM.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Are you using a grinder to reduce the rubber down to a smaller size then finishing off with sanding to smooth the surface? If so then what was Palm's purpose for using all that rubber if there is no wire running through it? What's unfortunate is that with out a new case design the antenna is still raised above the surface of the main body.
    Ofcourse there is a wire that goes inside the antenna. That's how antennas work.
    I hate to say such a thing, but my 650's antenna is the perfect handle for pulling it out of the belt pouch. This is a great mod except for that little issue.
    Patrick Horne
    Ofcourse there is a wire that goes inside the antenna. That's how antennas work.
    Most antennas involve a wire connection that at one end is connected to the motherboard and the other end connected to a metal rod or sometimes none but both types are usually housed in either plastic or rubber for protection. Though not every manufacturer needs so much housing protection on the tip. Since you've taken your's apart how far does the wire actually go? If you've cut the wire short to the device's base then have you experienced any reception or voice quality issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    I hate to say such a thing, but my 650's antenna is the perfect handle for pulling it out of the belt pouch. This is a great mod except for that little issue.
    That's how my first one came off (and the Treo dropped to the floor). I try not to use may expensive (used) replacement antenna as a handle.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Most antennas involve a wire connection that at one end is connected to the motherboard and the other end connected to a metal rod or sometimes none but both types are usually housed in either plastic or rubber for protection. Though not every manufacturer needs so much housing protection on the tip. Since you've taken your's apart how far does the wire actually go? If you've cut the wire short to the device's base then have you experienced any reception or voice quality issues?
    An antenna is a loose wire at a certin length. The lenght depends on the frequency the device is using.

The treo antenna is made out of a plastic base. The actual antenna element it wrapped around that base and then protected with a cover. That's the part you can actually see sticking out of your treo.