Page 47 of 82 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
  1.    #921  
    Quote Originally Posted by av8shunmeckanec View Post
    Nobody acknowledged my idea of shaving off the top? Not even Zoti?

I was serious! It almost seems like you could just shave down the antenna "as-is". The stereo jack didnt seem to have any affect, so what about this mod? Just an idea. Steve
    You can try to saw it off but you will find that you are left with no reception at all. The antenna element goes through the part that sticks out of your phone. You saw it off and you will be cutting the antenna element as well.
  2.    #922  
    Nothing makes me happier than to hear how satisfied you guys are with the product. Thanks!
    Anyone else order from California and get their's yet??? I was order #78 and the mail just came for today, and no Antenna still... Sooo sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by rkub View Post
    Anyone else order from California and get their's yet??? I was order #78 and the mail just came for today, and no Antenna still... Sooo sad...
    Same thing on the East Coast. Amazing how excited I am for a little piece of plastic. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.
    Zoti,

I'm order #6 and got my antenna today, but the grey part is all discolored. How do I get a replacement sent to me ASAP? Here are some pics:
    http://www.denworks.com/treo/DSCN4419.JPG
    http://www.denworks.com/treo/DSCN4418.JPG
    http://www.denworks.com/treo/DSCN4417.JPG
    I have read enough of this thread to jump in and order my Blue Zoti antenna. Order Number: 229, placed today. Hopefully I will get it by the weekend. Its been awhile since I bought a new toy.

Wait till the guys in the office see this one! "Pimp my Treo"
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  7.    #927  
    Quote Originally Posted by tekden View Post
    Zoti,

I'm order #6 and got my antenna today, but the grey part is all discolored. How do I get a replacement sent to me ASAP? Here are some pics:
    I'm sorry. This definitely should not be like that. Send me a message through the website and I will get one out for you first thing tomorrow.

I guess I missed it when I was packing as I test every antenna before I pack it.
    Zoti,

I picked it up after taking that picture and the whole top piece fell right off. I did email you from your website as well. Order#6. Yes, I would appreciate a replacement ASAP. Thanks!
  9.    #929  
    Zoti,

I picked it up after taking that picture and the whole top piece fell right off. I did email you from your website as well. Order#6. Yes, I would appreciate a replacement ASAP. Thanks!
    I can see by the pictures it is broken. Maybe it got squished in th mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Same thing on the East Coast. Amazing how excited I am for a little piece of plastic. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.

I'm also on the East Coast (NJ) and my antenna hasn't arrive yet, either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow, because there isn't any mail on Thursday/Thanksgiving and I'm hoping not to have to wait until Friday. I was order #33, so I guess we just have slow mail around here (not the first time).
    Treo 650, Verizon
  11.    #931  
    Zoti,

I didn't get that email. Please try sending it again so I can verify your name. If it doesn't work then PM me with your full name so I can get it out to you tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Got my zoti antenna, installed it the other night, no noticeable difference in signal strength and it looks great. Equally importantly I can carry it in my pocket without that damn thing poking me in the leg.

Also I got a couple weird looks walking around campus at Columbia Business School today. Probably a third of my fellow B schoolers have Treos, and several people asked me what the heck was that new phone I was using.

Only issue is the slight rear join fit that's been mentioned by several others. After some jiggling around, it's a pretty narrow gap, not too noticeable. I did attempt to take the screw out, adjust the fit a bit, and retighten per zoti's recommendation, but that didn't make much difference.

I'm still totally thrilled with the new antenna, but I'd like to improve the fit on the rear part of the joint if anybody figures it out.
    As one of the very few people to have actually seen, touched, installed and used both the Gadgetplus "Zero" antenna and Zoti's antenna, I thought I'd try again to post my findings here. The following refers to a Treo 650 CDMA.

Installation: both come with the Torx screwdriver and require removal of the stock antenna, a quick and simple process.
    - zero: drop in place, tighten the screw, you're done.
    - Zoti: a bit trickier. The back of the antenna must be held down while simulataneously pressing the case sides together and tightening the screw. It also has a wrap-around external circuit board that could get easily bent or damaged.

Fit:
    - zero: perfect the first time, no unsightly gaps.
    - Zoti: Somewhat uneven noticeable gap around the cap, especially in back, even after a couple of attempts and pushing hard on the stubborn back of the antenna.

Appearance:
    - zero: MUCH better than expected. It blends nicely with the top design of the Treo and looks like it belongs there. Doesn't add any height to the Treo
    - Zoti: A couple of millimeters taller. More rounded look but gives the impression that the antenna was "chopped off" according to an informal survey of a few friends

Performance:
    - objectively: I ran some statistical tests comparing signal strength in a dozen of know locations. I was unable to determine a consistent statistically signifant difference between either of the short antennas or the stock version. Some tests suggested a 2-3% drop in signal but I could never dependably duplicate those results.
    - Subjectively: no perceived difference in number of bars or ability to make and maintain voice and data calls, whether the phone was held close to the face or monitored from a few feet via BlueTooth.
    NOTE: This is for a CDMA/1xRtt signal. GSM/GPRS performance may differ

Cost: MAJOR difference here for an antenna+screwdriver package shipped to a US adress. Zoti's antenna is a whopping THIRTY PERCENT ($10.00) more expensive (charging $6.95 for shipping from an actual postage cost of $0.53).

Conclusion: both antennas are a significant improvement over the stock antenna, both in terms of looks and convenience (no more antenna poking you in painful places) and every Treo should be equipped with one of them. The pictures posted here so far don't quite capture the distinct visual characteristics of the antennas, but both look quite acceptable. In my very subjective personal opinion, Gadgetplus's Zero looks much bettter integrated with the overall Treo design while Zoti's looks more like an afterthought, but your taste may be different. The price difference is quite large. Even if you think Zoti's looks better, it might not look 30% "better" to you.

If you need more information, feel free to contact me privately.
    Just PM'd you Zoti.

Quote Originally Posted by zoti View Post
    I didn't get that email. Please try sending it again so I can verify your name. If it doesn't work then PM me with your full name so I can get it out to you tomorrow.
    Zoti,

Whoa! Trippy Tie-Dye Edition Shortie Antenna!!
    So I'm trying to check reception to compare before and after I install the Zoti antenna. When I do #*744625 on my Cingular 650, I get an RSSI number and an EC/LO number.

The values don't compare to any of the RSSI numbers I see posted.

Anybody have a clue what this means and whether it's good or bad or what scale it's on? I want to be able to compare apples to apples with the new antenna.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cascade; 11/21/2006 at 08:22 PM.
  17.    #937  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel View Post
    Got my zoti antenna, installed it the other night, no noticeable difference in signal strength and it looks great. Equally importantly I can carry it in my pocket without that damn thing poking me in the leg.

Also I got a couple weird looks walking around campus at Columbia Business School today. Probably a third of my fellow B schoolers have Treos, and several people asked me what the heck was that new phone I was using.

Only issue is the slight rear join fit that's been mentioned by several others. After some jiggling around, it's a pretty narrow gap, not too noticeable. I did attempt to take the screw out, adjust the fit a bit, and retighten per zoti's recommendation, but that didn't make much difference.

I'm still totally thrilled with the new antenna, but I'd like to improve the fit on the rear part of the joint if anybody figures it out.
    Try to push the back of teh antenna down while tightening the screw. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction send me a message with your name and order ID through the website and I'll swap it for you.
    Zoti did you get my PM? What other information do you need from me? Any chance the replacement antenna will arrive this week with Thanksgiving in the way?
    JimmyD's Zoti Shortie Antenna Experience

PREP
    So at lunch, I drove home and watched my signal meter for most of the trip...
    (I only ran over 3 mailboxes in the process!)

INSTALLATION
    I then got home, removed the stock antenna...

Took a Q-Tip with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it and cleansed the (minimal) grime
    off the Treo case edge where the antenna was...

Then I installed the antenna. I found that I had to REALLY push HARD on the back top
    area of the antenna to get it to sit flush with the ENTIRE lip of the Treo case.

While continuing to exert pressure on the top of the antenna, I torqued down the screw
    and stepped back to bask in the glow of my shiny new prize. {cue angel harps strumming}

GLAMOUR SHOTS (Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm a sales-monkey, not a camera-jock!)
    Here are a few pics of my Zoti Shortie Antenna installed:

TOP / FRONT VIEW > CLICK ME FOR LARGER SIZE PIC <
    http://static.flickr.com/116/303109534_53d39f6c48.jpg

TOP / BACK VIEW > CLICK ME FOR LARGER SIZE PIC <
    http://static.flickr.com/122/303109529_abd5b43280.jpg

"JimmyD" VIEW > CLICK ME FOR LARGER SIZE PIC <
    http://static.flickr.com/106/303109539_c49d78283b.jpg

"JALPA-THE FELINE MISTRESS DEMON CAT FROM HELL" VIEW > CLICK ME FOR LARGER SIZE PIC <
    http://static.flickr.com/116/303109541_f8ea7de75b.jpg

PERFORMANCE REVIEW
    Above, I mentioned that I watched my signal meter while driving home (by the way,
    I was just kidding about hitting the mailboxes ) Anyways... after the installation
    was complete, I again watched my signal meter while driving back to my office and
    I found NO CHANGE in my signal strength! I particularly watched as I drove through a
    wooded rural area where I usually drop down to 2 or 3 bars... I got the same results on
    my trip back to the office!

Since I was getting good readings from the signal meter, I then also started to surf
    Ebay and VWvortex.com (VW forums) which are both PACKED with plenty of data to
    DL while surfing. I noticed no differences in my wait times for the screens to refresh!

CONCLUSION
    Borat says....

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...dox6/borat.jpg
    GREAT SUCCESS!!!
    http://img.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/im...2__borat_l.jpg
  20.    #940  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum View Post
    As one of the very few people to have actually seen, touched, installed and used both the Gadgetplus "Zero" antenna and Zoti's antenna, I thought I'd try again to post my findings here. The following refers to a Treo 650 CDMA.

Installation: both come with the Torx screwdriver and require removal of the stock antenna, a quick and simple process.
    - zero: drop in place, tighten the screw, you're done.
    - Zoti: a bit trickier. The back of the antenna must be held down while simulataneously pressing the case sides together and tightening the screw. It also has a wrap-around external circuit board that could get easily bent or damaged.

Fit:
    - zero: perfect the first time, no unsightly gaps.
    - Zoti: Somewhat uneven noticeable gap around the cap, especially in back, even after a couple of attempts and pushing hard on the stubborn back of the antenna.

Appearance:
    - zero: MUCH better than expected. It blends nicely with the top design of the Treo and looks like it belongs there. Doesn't add any height to the Treo
    - Zoti: A couple of millimeters taller. More rounded look but gives the impression that the antenna was "chopped off" according to an informal survey of a few friends

Performance:
    - objectively: I ran some statistical tests comparing signal strength in a dozen of know locations. I was unable to determine a consistent statistically signifant difference between either of the short antennas or the stock version. Some tests suggested a 2-3% drop in signal but I could never dependably duplicate those results.
    - Subjectively: no perceived difference in number of bars or ability to make and maintain voice and data calls, whether the phone was held close to the face or monitored from a few feet via BlueTooth.
    NOTE: This is for a CDMA/1xRtt signal. GSM/GPRS performance may differ

Cost: MAJOR difference here for an antenna+screwdriver package shipped to a US adress. Zoti's antenna is a whopping THIRTY PERCENT ($10.00) more expensive (charging $6.95 for shipping from an actual postage cost of $0.53).

Conclusion: both antennas are a significant improvement over the stock antenna, both in terms of looks and convenience (no more antenna poking you in painful places) and every Treo should be equipped with one of them. The pictures posted here so far don't quite capture the distinct visual characteristics of the antennas, but both look quite acceptable. In my very subjective personal opinion, Gadgetplus's Zero looks much bettter integrated with the overall Treo design while Zoti's looks more like an afterthought, but your taste may be different. The price difference is quite large. Even if you think Zoti's looks better, it might not look 30% "better" to you.

If you need more information, feel free to contact me privately.
    I'm not going to try and bash anyone here but here are my comments:

- The circuit board will not get damaged while installing it. I installed and tested quite a few of the antennas. Pulled them out and put back in a few times and noting broke. That said, if you do break it while installing I will exchange it as part of the warranty I give.

- Some people did report a gap at the back. I've supplied a solution. If it still doesn't fit the way you like it to then I will exchange it as part of the warranty I give.

- Cost. I have put about 5 months into the development of teh antenna. Countless hours of modifying and adjusting the design. The Torx#5 screwdriver you get from me is top quality. Not some cheap one made in god knows where. I ship in a padded envelope worldwide. Get the antenna. If you don't like it you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. No questions asked!

At the end I will let the numbers do the talking. The antennas sell very well and I have to spend every night packing them so I can ship next day.