Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Yep, something has changed. I tried several times a week or more ago to get a PRL update via *2 and was never successful, even though I was told by several Sprint reps that my account had been flagged for the update. I happened to read this thread again and saw that it was working for some folks. I tried again tonight, and it downloaded just fine.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So do you HAVE to request the update or will it sooner or later come down?
    Quote Originally Posted by cflynt
    So do you HAVE to request the update or will it sooner or later come down?
    It seems to me as if there are two issues: (1) how you would know that an update exists and (2) how you get it to download to your phone when you dial *2.

I recall that a couple of years ago I received an SMS message from Sprint telling me that I needed to download an update via *2. Perhaps that is a false memory, or perhaps that was some kind of update other than a PRL, or maybe they quit doing that sort of thing. I do know that when I first read this thread and tried to update my Treo, I also considered the PRL version on my wife's non-Treo. It turned out to be several PRL revisions out of date, and she had received no notifications. Before trying *2 on her phone, I requested that both phones be flagged for an update, so I can't say whether it would have worked on hers without the request or not. Hers updated with *2 right after they told me it was flagged, but my treo didn't work until last night.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Some Sprint markets will auto flagged your cell so that when ever had a need to call Sprint, you dial *2 it will tell you that the an update (prl) is availabe and to wait and it will happen. (This is not the case in my market. ) Regardless you will not be notified by sms or any other means.

The only way I know of any prl updates is by reading about it on TreoCentral.

The sms you might be thinking of is the notification that Sprint sends out with the firmware update is/was available.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    The sms you might be thinking of is the notification that Sprint sends out with the firmware update is/was available.
    That seems likely. Thanks for correcting my faulty memory (just one sign of my senility).
    Dr J

I was in Fry's after updating my PRL and it asked me if I wanted to roam for data. I thought it was odd since I had used in there prior to updating the PRL and it did not ask to roam. Should I just choose the option for it to automatically roam on the data network, since I am on a SERO plan?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Well I emailed them yesterday and someone responded today saying I could use *2 to update. I dialed *2 and there was no mention of the update, so I let it go to tech support thinking I'll just let them figure out what's going on. The first person I talked to was very helpful and aside from wondering where I'd heard about getting a PRL update she redirected me to tech support to have them do the update.

The tech support person seemed ok too, until they started to complain about their "system" taking forever to come up (this person was complaining about every 30 seconds for a full 3 or 4 minutes. Then when the system finally "came up" I was told that PRL updates are part of the ROM update, and ROM updates are not something that Sprint will do for the 700p "in-store". Of course, I knew this was BS, but at this point I was starting to fear for my account and my phone (thinking that in their apparent incompetence this rep may screw something up badly) and so I pretty much ended the call right there. Shortly afterwards I called again just in case somehow the update might have become available and sure enough I got a message saying my phone is updating... so now I have the latest PRL.

I hate having to contact tech support for this sort of stuff though. Based on the average level of competence I've observed in most tech support groups these days, I always find myself fearful that they will royally screw something totally unrelated to my request up in my account or my phone just by virtue of poking around in there. Has anyone had any inadvertant side-effects as a result of requesting one of these updates?
    Anyone have 20223 yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari
    I was told that PRL updates are part of the ROM update, and ROM updates are not something that Sprint will do for the 700p "in-store". Of course, I knew this was BS, but at this point I was starting to fear for my account and my phone (thinking that in their apparent incompetence this rep may screw something up badly) and so I pretty much ended the call right there. Shortly afterwards I called again just in case somehow the update might have become available and sure enough I got a message saying my phone is updating... so now I have the latest PRL.

I hate having to contact tech support for this sort of stuff though. Based on the average level of competence I've observed in most tech support groups these days, I always find myself fearful that they will royally screw something totally unrelated to my request up in my account or my phone just by virtue of poking around in there. Has anyone had any inadvertant side-effects as a result of requesting one of these updates?
    Cavaet in dealing with Sprint Tech support - *ALWAYS* say "treo support" at the voice prompts - run-of-the-mill Level One support is there to answer phones and not much more.

Not long ago Sprint didn't have a specially trained area for the more complicated phones - everyone was dumped into the duckpond and you needed to plead with a Level One to get you to someone trained to have a clue about Treos. Even the "trained" ones aren't as useful as many of these forums, but at least they make an attempt to handle many issues correctly.

It's a little better now, but *ALWAYS* tell them you have a Treo support issue - never waste your breath on support not trained on this phone.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Oh, and yes - I had serious problems after an OTA PRL update to 20222 on my 700p - seemed to work fine, but then wierd little corruptions and resets started happening the rest of the day. At night I went to hotsync and it went to a reset loop upon placing it into the cradle.

Worked all weekend to narrow it down to an app, even after a "zero out" reset it would hang. "Treo Support" finally acknowledged the issue (until then I got the "third party app" mantra from them) and ok'd a replacement phone - about 2 weeks later the replacement is rock solid and I'm sticking with PRL 20221. I heard rumors of problems with EVDO PRL updates OTA, and I'm done with being a guinea pig on this one.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456