Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    I'm a brand new Treo user and found this group by chance through Google. I've just emailed ecare for an update. But seriously, if it wasn't for this place, I wouldn't have a PRL update, cool freeware, speed enhancements, good Lord, just about everything.
    Welcome and enjoy your stay
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    It has been several weeks and hours upon hours on the phone, trips to the Sprint Stores etc.. and no one can make this happen? Is there any word out there how to get the PRL Update? Or will 20223 be here soon, and work?
    Bo
    What's a PRL?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    What's a PRL?
    It stands for "Preferred Roaming List" update. You can check which one you have by selecting phone>and then phone info from the menu bar. I guess we're supposed to have code 20222 now, but mine is still stuck at 20221 even after Sprint shows my phone being flagged for the update.

I keep dialing *2 to initiate the update, but it always goes to a rep instead of initiating anything. All very frustrating considering a new 20223 PRL is being released again in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by boboone
    It has been several weeks and hours upon hours on the phone, trips to the Sprint Stores etc.. and no one can make this happen? Is there any word out there how to get the PRL Update? Or will 20223 be here soon, and work?
    That sucks, I've always requested it by email and it always worked. Go here:
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/learn/form...c_question.jsp
    Fill out the form, under topic, choose Coverage. You'll get an email by the next day to call *2 for the update.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I was told that there is no prl for the treo 700p yet because its too new . I was told that the one that is out there the 20223 was a demo
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    after numerous calls to tech support as well as a few store visits I was told that the network for whatever reason was not allowing any power vision phone(including treo700p) to update the prl either manually(at the sprint store) or OTA. they told me that my account was flagged and as soon as the problem is fixed I should be able to do the *2 method, just keep checking every so often untill it's fixed.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    I gave up on this PRL update. I tried it all, even went to store three times. Give up on this.

Can anyone that has successfully update PRL v20222 or 20223 confirm that the Tethering hack still work?

Thank you
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    after numerous calls to tech support as well as a few store visits I was told that the network for whatever reason was not allowing any power vision phone(including treo700p) to update the prl either manually(at the sprint store) or OTA. they told me that my account was flagged and as soon as the problem is fixed I should be able to do the *2 method, just keep checking every so often untill it's fixed.
    lol, I would love to believe that and I hope it's true, only because I remember reading this back in March:

PRL updates will now install at the same time you can interact with the customer service system, and even speak to customer service. In addition, issues that have required users to call multiple times to get a PRL update after being flagged have also been resolved.

Since the launch of EV-DO, getting a PRL update has involved added complications, some users have reported having to call over a dozen times to get a single PRL update. Sprint now infers from this that such problems are a thing of the past for the CDMA carrier.
    (source)

I'm just saying, don't hold your breath!

and reverendrhino, it's not so much the method by which you try to get the PRL update, it's just that OTA doesn't play well with EvDO (yet) no matter who you talk to or email.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta, well that's sucks. My PRL updated OTA on the first try, I hope they do fix this for everyone, before the next update at least.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I have also tried about 2 dozen times to update my PRL OTA on Sprint Treo 700P with no success. I was told today at a Sprint store that they are in the proccess of fixing this problem. I hope they are REALLY working on it as they say they are.

Otherwise this phone/pda is the best I have owned to date. No problems at all. Have owned the phone since first week in June.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I asked this once before without any response...

Is there any advantage to the updated PRL?

Are internet speeds improved?
    Is telephone reception improved?

If not, I just don't understand why this is so important.

Jeff
    The only advantage is that with the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) updated, your phone will be able to "read" from more towers while roaming off the sprint network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    The only advantage is that with the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) updated, your phone will be able to "read" from more towers while roaming off the sprint network.
    In general, PRL updates don't make much of a difference BUT with EVDO phones I have heard that the PRL updates are important since Sprint is constantly expanding the EVDO coverage map.
    When I could not get *2 to update the Sprint tech person told me thet the new PRL only affected Colorado and Kansas. Any truth to that?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    Robert, this is actually NOT true. It is important for those with EvDO devices not to get mis-information as PRL updates are more important for users than on previous 1x devices.

There is no gurantee that this will impact everyone but there is no harm in trying.

It is slightly more complicated:
    Keeping the PRL up-to-date is not critical. However, savvy users chose to update their PRLs because it provides for faster roaming signal acquisition, improved international roaming, and, on EV-DO devices, better acquisition of EV-DO data services.
    (source)
    On EV-DO devices it can add HDR channels, which can improve EV-DO data coverage. If Sprint is or will be deploying additional HDR channels not in the PRL in unlaunched markets is unknown at this time, so, it is best to keep the PRL up-to-date on EV devices.--C. Price
    Unlike PRLs in older devices, EV-DO PRL files may make modifications to the available HDR channels, improving EV-DO signal acqusition.
    (source)

THIS is why so many of us care about getting a PRL!

Plus, with the free Alltel "Data Roaming" fast approaching, it has been implied/speculated that this information may be in the PRL.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/04/2006 at 12:19 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ALooneyGuy
    Actually, I've been reading this post since it began. I think my ADD kicked in and I didn't remember some stuff I read 5 or 6 days ago, but thanks for your helpful solution anyway
    Was that backhand in disguise? LOL.
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crownzeal
    I'm a brand new Treo user and found this group by chance through Google. I've just emailed ecare for an update. But seriously, if it wasn't for this place, I wouldn't have a PRL update, cool freeware, speed enhancements, good Lord, just about everything.
    Welcome to TC!
    Thanks for the info. Also, just got the PRL update to work on my treo as well in New York.
    I just called Sprint Tech support, they did it for me, I was on the phone for 2 minutes, she did it and told me to press *2 for the update. I went from PRL REV 20221 to 20222, it took a minute to complete.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast