Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had my Verizon 700p for three weeks now and I have experienced the dreaded SMS Lockup since day one. I've been experimenting with workarounds and tried to understand the situation by analyzing numerous threads in this and other Treo forums, and through this process I hope to spare others at least some of the pain.

If you are experiencing this problem here are some things NOT to do:

Do not waste your time doing a hard reset - it will not help.

Do not try to attribute the problem to a Third Party App. It happens on a virgin Treo 700p just the same as one loaded with a full complement of programs.

Do not feel compelled to erase your accumulation of SMS messages. It does not seem to be related to a corrupted database.

There are a number of variables at work with the SMS Lockup condition - it seems to be most prevailant with Verizon, though there are reports of it afflicting the Sprint 700p also. I have a Verizon phone and get most of my lockups when text messaging other Verizon subscribers. My working theory is that the lockup occurs when the receipt confirmation comes back to my phone. Its entirely possible that Sprint subscribers get the same intermittent lockup when receiving text messages from Verizon subscribers though I can't be sure.

This condition is intermittent with me - I would say I get it about 80% of the time when I text message another Verizon subscriber. I have had it happen with out-of-network recipients, but not nearly as often. Maybe 10% of the time.

The lockup condition varies, but averages about two minutes. Its almost the same amount of time that it takes me to reboot the phone, so its rare that I bother rebooting the device. It always returns to normal state eventually. I have also observed that an incoming phone call or another inbound text message will end the lockup - which is good news because it would be a major disaster to loose total functionality.

I have a workaround that SEEMS to help, but not always. If - immediately after sending a text message - I switch out of the SMS program by pushing either the Home or the Phone key before the green checkmark that indicates that the message has been received arrives back to my phone, then the phone TENDS not to lock up as much.

I view SMS Lockup as a serious, serious bug and I hope that the people at Palm/Verizon are working on a fix as we speak.

If you want to contribute to this thread it is important that you include your carrier (Verizon, Sprint, etc) and the carrier of your recipient - if known. I would especially like to hear from Verizon customers who are HEAVY text message users, who regularly message other Verizon customers to determine if there are ANY of us who don't have this issue.
    There was a bug that reset the 650 which was fixed in the first update, so it should be fixed then. I also have a similar bug, except my phone resets. It really got bad when I got a message from a computer that was sent to 'mynumber'@vtext.com. The phone would no longer receive messages without reseting. I did finally have to hard-reset it and recover from a nightly backup. Unfortunatly, I haven't been able to figure out how to get around this.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I have the same problem. I am glad to hear it is not a 3rd party app. I hope they fix this soon. I have been txting a lot more since I got a full QWERTY keyboard on my phone, but the lockups are not helping.
    I get lockups in Versamail and SMS but they only last for about five seconds. My 700p is about 6 days old and it's been happening since day one. Not a huge deal, but sad nonetheless.
  5.    #5  
    The lockups aren't that big a deal if you only send the occasional text message but if you are trying to do something like provide moment-to-moment instructions to someone via SMS the lockups are a DISASTER.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspot_mike
    I get lockups in Versamail and SMS but they only last for about five seconds. My 700p is about 6 days old and it's been happening since day one. Not a huge deal, but sad nonetheless.
    I have sprint and i spoke to a rep today who told me that it is a known issue with sprint and the 700p It has been on going for the last 3 week . i would like to know if anyone else with sprint is having the same problem . if so please call and they will work on the problem faster.for the record it freezes with incoming text
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    I have a Verizon 700p and experience the same problem. I don't text too much outside of the Verizon network, so I can't really say what it does when texting outside of Verizon. But, from just looking at how the phone acts, it would seem to me that this will only be fixed by a firmware update. Palm has changed their SMS engine and now youre able to view each message in your chat log individually, along with some information. It would seem to me that each time you receive confirmation that your SMS was delievered, the lock up happens while the SMS application creates this individual message page. I could obviously very easily be wrong, but this is what my phone appears to be doing at least.

And, comedytreogirl has bingo. Call and complain, as often as possible. As a representitive for Comcast, I can assure you that these companies do not fix things out of conscience. They only invest money once they see that their customers are dissatisfied and may consider leaving.

Case in point: when I called Verizon over this problem, I was told that this is NOT a known issue, and I was the first person the rep had spoken to that had a problem with the SMS feature on the Verizon 700p. I called on 6/14 I believe, and judging from what I've heard in this thread and others, this problem has been around for longer than that to say the least. The point to this paragraph? Complain, complain, complain!
    - Chris
  8.    #8  
    The problem with trying to explain these problems to customer service hacks either over the phone or in a Verizon store is that the front line people barely even know how to use Treo. I'd rather not waste my time or theirs trying to identify a problem and expect them to offer some kind of meaningful response. Its not going to happen.
    Just wanted to confirm that I get this problem with a Verizon 700p phone as well, and I appreciate the work you put into it Keefer. Looks like its a problem that requires firmware update for now.

Mine locks up for 30 sec to 1 min or so. It's not terrible, never has caused a reset yet. Most of the time I don't even notice because after I sent the text message I put the Treo away to do something else. I've managed to associate it with texting more recently though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    The problem with trying to explain these problems to customer service hacks either over the phone or in a Verizon store is that the front line people barely even know how to use Treo. I'd rather not waste my time or theirs trying to identify a problem and expect them to offer some kind of meaningful response. Its not going to happen.
    I completely agree with you, but getting a solution to your problem over the phone isn't the precise goal in calling to complain. I creates awareness at Verizon that people are having this problem and its not just something they can live with. That means it will affect consumer decisions the next time their contract runs out.

With the advent of things like eBay and Craigslist, getting value back for a branded phone is not as difficult as it once was. In direct correlation, if people aren't going to just accept an issue with their phone, companies will be more motivated to do something about it, because now people can get most (if not all) of their investment back and then go to another company.

Complaining may not do much for you individually in the short-term, but it wll make a difference in the long term.
    - Chris
  11.    #11  
    Complaining may not do much for you individually in the short-term, but it wll make a difference in the long term.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that people do NOTHING. I prefer to take my issues directly to Palm rather than attempt to interface with Verizon in any meaningful way...
  12.    #12  
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that people do NOTHING. I prefer to take my issues directly to Palm rather than attempt to interface with Verizon in any meaningful way...

Having also worked for Palm as an n-store sales rep, it would be interesting to see which company's CSRs would out-stupify who. But I do understand where you're coming from
    - Chris
    This odd behavior happens on my Sprint phone about every 2nd or 3rd day of use. It usually occurs with an automated SMS message for me such as the ones generated by the Washington State Ferry. I seem to get it only rarely when I receive an email from a friend. There may be something with the headers on the automated messages that causes this. Mine seems to freeze followed by the appearance of the bell notifier icon in the upper left corner of the screen. No matter what I do nothing will happen until this lag period passes. It seems to unfreeze after the last SMS message is loaded and cleared from the network.

Regards,

Jim
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerc42
    Having also worked for Palm as an n-store sales rep, it would be interesting to see which company's CSRs would out-stupify who. But I do understand where you're coming from
    Under no circumstances was I referring to Palm or any other in-store, retail oriented personel. When I have an issue with Palm software I send off an email to customer support via the Palm website. Which - arguably - isn't any more effective than trying to have a meaningful discussion with a Razor-toting, Class of 2005, commision scrounging CSR in a retail kiosk.
  16.    #16  
    Bump.
    I haven't had the lockup today since I turned off the chat mode. That is the same thing I had to do on the 650 to keep it from crashing. I like the chat mode, so I hope it is fixed in the next update. I also have Verizon.
  18.    #18  
    I am going to give that a try. I will report back later today...I never had a problem with SMS crashing on my Verizon T650 though.
    I guess I am glad I'm using Sprint.

The 700P is very solid and no SMS problems, all long as "EVDO only" mode is _not_ checked.
  20.    #20  
    I don't seem to have an "EVDO Only" mode in any of the preferences on my Verizon phone 700p. Must be a Sprint thing...
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast