Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    I could almost do without the Messaging application altogether. On my 650, all I used was the SMS application.

Does it bother anyone that Messaging does not allow you to "Lookup in Contacts" like SMS did? Or am I missing something?

(I have Verizon.)
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net
    On my Verizon 700p, the Messaging App, has an automatic lookup from contacts, just start typing the name of the person you want, and a list appears below the text box. Then, select the person and/or phone number and voom. To txt my brother, I type the first 3 chars of his name and then click down three times to select his mobile, center click and voom. On the 650, I had to do 4 more button presses.

Scott
  3.    #163  
    Let's stick to the topic people...
    Quote Originally Posted by sck_nogas View Post
    On my Verizon 700p, the Messaging App, has an automatic lookup...
    Never even thought to try that. It works great. Thanks for the tip and sorry for off-topic post.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net
    I have a VZW 700p and have always had this problem (since new). I txt my wife (who uses my old 650) several times a day. If I let the thread grow, it hangs. No resets, no crashes, it just hangs. Buttons do nothing. Cursor stops flashing (as mentioned above). Getting a call or a new text msg does seem to break the hang.

If I delete the thread when it starts to grow, I get no hangs. It's that simple. I also purge my Sent folder regularly.

The Treo also hangs when going in or out of service. I think this is a different problem, and not that big a deal to me, since I don't ride a subway. One possible workaround would be to turn off your phone (radio) while on the subway, then turn it back on when you arrive. You will probably notice the same hang time when you turn the phone back on.

It's annoying, but I need the RAM on the 700p to run programs that won't work from the card. I never had these problems with my 650. Palm support is utterly worthless on this issue (and some others.)

The good news is, if you keep your boxes clean, it doesn't happen. Jumping out to another app can help too, but that's really annoying for me. Well it's only been about 6 months, so maybe Palm will decide to fix it one day.
    To re-earn favor with the Keefer-ness, I will steer back towards topic...

GBSURG,

The good news is that you are one of many who have this same problem, yet I need to keep alot of my old threads, the switching out of the Messaging App will work, but ONLY if you do it before the "Green check of hanging" appears.

On a related note...

My wife has a Verizon Treo 650 as well. Are there people having hangs from other Verizon phones or is it a weird Treo 700p -> Treo 650 bug?

I'm just curious,

Scott
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I get the identical behavior on long threads, regardless of destination device. I should note, however, that all of my long threads are to other VZW users
    bill
    VZW Kyocera 7135 - treo 650 - treo700p
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by sck_nogas View Post
    My wife has a Verizon Treo 650 as well. Are there people having hangs from other Verizon phones or is it a weird Treo 700p -> Treo 650 bug?
    It is an issue that effects only messages sent to a Verizon 700p from any other kind of Verizon cellphone. Apparently only Verizon sends out a receipt confirmation, and the issue appears to be related to how messaging in the 700p handles that inbound receipt message...
    Just to inform my fellow treo users. As far the sprint network keep an eye on your bill because lately. They been having some sms issues where some texts are being forwards to other countries and being charged as international. A rep pulledup my acct. and was like the number was a (646) area code. Where as the 1st text was fine but then the next went to New Zealand. And it was only affecting that number at the time which the carrier i was texting to was tmobile. & and out of the 3000 texts i did that month only 17 had this problem. Also if you didnt know when sprint went up with there sms rates they also made canada considered an international texts now. just letting everyone know.
    Hi all,

I'm a bit late to arrive on the scene, I see. All of you are having the same problems.

I only seem to have this problem sending text messages to fellow VZW customers.

Has anyone figured out what it really is? My theory was that it was waiting for the delivery receipt and hanging up a thread until it obtains it -- sometimes this is obtained quickly, sometimes it takes several minutes to obtain. Does anyone's experience support this theory?

I don't think I've seen the problem with non-VZW recipients. I will say, however, that most of my threads are quite long. I'm reluctant to remove them. Is there a nice way to archive them? Perhaps some utility that will back up all but the last N days onto the SD card?

Thanks
  11.    #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevin View Post

Has anyone figured out what it really is? My theory was that it was waiting for the delivery receipt and hanging up a thread until it obtains it -- sometimes this is obtained quickly, sometimes it takes several minutes to obtain. Does anyone's experience support this theory?
    That's your theory. There are others.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    yeah, for those of you having trouble try non-threaded view. I had over 600 sms last month and never had a lock up. i'm running threaded view for the next week or so to see just what you guys are talking about since i've never seen a lock up since I got my treo in Sept. but that whole time I've been using standard text view, not threaded.
    well I've been using threaded view since I posted this ^(12/20) and I haven't had any lockup yet. My two longest VZW threads are 89 and 56 texts and my longest non-vzw threads are 101 and 63 texts. I don't know why but the phone just won't lock up. I've tried leaving it in the message view after sending (which is supposedly no good according to other posts here) and still nothing.

Don't know why, guess I'm just lucky. I guess I'll keep using threaded view till I get up over 100 in vzw threads and see if anything happens then.
    I emailed Steve Sinclair at Palm about the SMS lockup issue on Monday. I am on Sprint & do not have this problem so I included Keefer's original post in my email
    to describe it.

I realized how big a problem this issue is when I saw another lockup thread on mytreo.net. I figured it must be a REALLY bad problem if there was a similar thread on the website for all users who have no problems with their perfectly running Treo's.. =>

My main question was to Steve was whether this issue will be addressed in the upcoming firmware update. That way you guys can stop banging your heads for a solution.

I can imagine Steve is at CES this week so we will have to give him sometime to get back to us. So be patient. I will post any update I get on the Palm Response Tracker thread.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I was bored again, so I called Verizon Tech Support about this issue, and got a reasonable tech-support person! (Friendly, helpful, interested, and determined!)

He connected me to Palm and stayed on the phone (45+ mins) while I described the issue, and Palm opened up a ticket for this issue. I used CallRec to record the whole thing, but have'nt listened to the playback, so don't have the ticket number yet. Will keep on Palm to see the status of this...

Scott
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    well I've been using threaded view since I posted this ^(12/20) and I haven't had any lockup yet. My two longest VZW threads are 89 and 56 texts and my longest non-vzw threads are 101 and 63 texts. I don't know why but the phone just won't lock up. I've tried leaving it in the message view after sending (which is supposedly no good according to other posts here) and still nothing.

Don't know why, guess I'm just lucky. I guess I'll keep using threaded view till I get up over 100 in vzw threads and see if anything happens then.
    So, what your telling us is that you are a Verizon customer who can receive a text message from another Verizon customer and respond to it immediately -with no lockup, even if you have a lengthy discussion string?
    I received the following reply from Steve Sinclair today. It confirms they Palm is aware of the issue and have been pursuing a fix. Hope this puts some minds at rest...

Hi Bob,
    We've been actively investigating the issue you describe below. Assuming we can figure out the fix, it would be included in the Treo 700p maintenance release we spoke about before.

Regards,

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I received the following reply from Steve Sinclair today. It confirms they Palm is aware of the issue and have been pursuing a fix. Hope this puts some minds at rest...

Hi Bob,
    We've been actively investigating the issue you describe below. Assuming we can figure out the fix, it would be included in the Treo 700p maintenance release we spoke about before.

Regards,

Steve
    That's great news -- can you tell us anything else about this maintenance release that Steve says you two have discussed previously?

Thanks
    Read the Palm Response Tracker thread.
    Is there any way to combine two SMS databases later? I'm thinking of deleting mine to see if it helps, but then I'll get more messages -- and if they ever fix this, I'd like to restore them all as one database...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    not sure... but deleting every so often definately helped.
    Scott