Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    i concur that the lockup ONLY happens to me when i receive or send a text message to another Verizon subscriber.

it is like clockwork: press the send button, wait 4 seconds, STALL/HANG (cursor stops blinking), 1min+ passes by (i think of ways to hurt small animals), and then my 700p is alive once again.

VERY annoying. It renders an amazing devices that really works well into something hated. You can't have your phone stall for minutes at a time just for sending a text message.

Do we just switch to the 750w/p when it comes out for Cingular? who knows...

just get rid of the damn read receipt. it's a cool feature but not worth stalling.
    fix iiiiiit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightmedic View Post
    I agree. I have tried all the recommendations as listed above. The surefire way for me is to copy the threads onto a memo, and delete all the messages in the thread. Anymore than 50 messages in any cumulative thread causes the lockups.

For the Subway rider, I too am in NYC, with Verizon, 700P and experience the same issues.

Its annoying to xfer all the threads over, but I have gotten used to doing it twice a day to prevent the buildups.

Palm..... PLEASE LISTEN TO US!!!!!!!!!!
    For myself and my colleague, it happens with far less messages in a thread than 50. Once a week, I'm using the "Purge messages older than 1 week" option for all my threads (I have probably 6 threads, they probably have 10-20 messages each at any given time). Still having it.

Got a text from him yesterday that stalled my phone for nearly a minute. Not a good thing to have when you're coordinating with multiple people in the middle of what could be termed a crisis situation.
  4. cto
    I have a treo 700p from Verizon Wireless as well and experince the lockups. If I am not on the phone and a text come in it is impossiable to unlock or do anything on the phone. I even went into the Verizon Wireless store at the Bridgewater, NJ mall last night to demonstrate the problem. Once it occured I took the battery out and re-set the phone. Sent a text message and it again locked up. I did a hard reset in the store with the tech (one of many resets I have done) and took all software off the phone. It happened again! I called Verizon Wireless tonight and the tech (Brian) who claims it is not a know problem. He asked for the website to look at which he did. He still claims it's not a know problem. He had me turn my keyguard off but still did not fix the problem. He wanted me to do yet another hard reset but I just didnt have the time or energy. He said it might be something in the Verizon system and told me he would have to disable and reinable my text messaging option on thier system. He had me turn my phone off while he did this put again it still didnt seem to work. He tried to duplicate the problem with a test phone and could not. He also asked other tech and non of them had heard of this problem. How can this be since so many of us are having the same problem?
    not sure...but it is definitely when i text message verizon to verizon. it's like clockwork. it has to be something with the read receipts.
    I've emailed Palm, posted the emails here, gad dam please other people FLOOD their email support inbox...
    Quote Originally Posted by cto View Post
    I called Verizon Wireless tonight and the tech (Brian) who claims it is not a know problem. He asked for the website to look at which he did. He still claims it's not a known problem. He had me turn my keyguard off but still did not fix the problem. He wanted me to do yet another hard reset but I just didnt have the time or energy. He said it might be something in the Verizon system and told me he would have to disable and reinable my text messaging option on thier system. He had me turn my phone off while he did this put again it still didnt seem to work. He tried to duplicate the problem with a test phone and could not. He also asked other tech and none of them had heard of this problem. How can this be since so many of us are having the same problem?

We've all been here, done that. It's apparent, Verizon knows about this as one of the tech's posted on this string earlier after I brought it to his attention. They are obviously in corporate denial. I think to acknowledge there is an issue will be costly for recalls, replacements, and patches. They already settled one class action lawsuit, which cost them a pretty penny.

Palm doesn't care, because we don't purchase the product from Palm, we get it from Verizon. As long as Verizon is in denial, and keeps purchasing treos from Palm, Palm has no reason to take action. So, I have to say it is in Verizon's hands, and they have done an excellent job of keeping a lid on it.
    Has any solution been found for this problem?
    Complain to Verizon, get a case number from them and append it here, then we all complain saying the same case number...

Until Verizon tells Palm to fix it, we're 'ed.

Scott
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Is everyone experiencing problems using threaded view?

I've been using the "standard" text view(don't like the threaded view) since I got my VZW 700 and never had any issues with lockup... maybe I'll try threaded for the next week and see what happens.
    I've found that removing the time stamp helps a bit, it seems to allow you to get more messages before the really big lockdowns.

Erik
    According to some posts before it does seem to be an issue with the threaded view. There was a post about the coding before.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    Is everyone experiencing problems using threaded view?

I've been using the "standard" text view(don't like the threaded view) since I got my VZW 700 and never had any issues with lockup... maybe I'll try threaded for the next week and see what happens.
    I guess this little tidbit had slipped by me. I'll try the non-threaded view tonight and see what happens.

And FWIW, Verizon just sent me a new 700p because the txt message lockup was an "unknown" issue and was most likely a hardware problem....Even after I begged the data services rep to check out this thread. Add me to the list of very frustrated VZW 700P owners w/ SMS lockups.
  14.    #154  
    Verizon knows. Somewhere, they know.
    Just adding my name to the tally of frustrated users. I've been experiencing the SMS lockup issue for a few months now. I was an early adopter of Verizon's Treo 700p, buying mine the week they came out. I have been frustrated with a number of issues, but the lockup issue is #1 on my list.

In my experience, it is definitely related to the message-receipt notification (little green checkmark), and it only seems to happen to me when messaging other Verizon customers. In my case, though, I never see the phone recover from this state, or at least I'm not waiting long enough before I reset. (I have waited in excess of 5 minutes or more.) I have a lot of messages in my chat thread, but don't intend to delete any of them, as I go back and read them from time to time. From the sound of it, this wouldn't help me anyway.

Not knowing about this thread, I talked to Verizon a couple of weeks ago, and they replaced my phone. Same experience as complacent23, in that they did not know of this issue, and since I'd already done a hard reset, they just replaced the phone. So I had high hopes that some hardware or software update in the last six months would fix the problem. No dice. But at least I got a new phone out of the deal.

I used to own a Treo 600 through Sprint. Even though I complained about it a lot, it was far better than my 700p. Ok, EVDO is cool and all, but the lockups are senseless, and the performance is crap. I think Palm is stepping backward instead of forward.
    For a while I had unlimited IN texting so I just sent all of my txts via MMS instead of sms, without adding a picture. but then I switched and i'm screwed now. I now have to periodically delete messages.

Oh and I get periodic random resets during calls, often when call waiting comes in. not super frequently but it has happened at least twice a month.

and the other day it froze, but upon resetting the device it wouldn't boot, it would just keep resetting after a second of hte first screen over and over. i had to hard reset.

Verizon sucks. Palm does too.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    yeah, for those of you having trouble try non-threaded view. I had over 600 sms last month and never had a lock up. i'm running threaded view for the next week or so to see just what you guys are talking about since i've never seen a lock up since I got my treo in Sept. but that whole time I've been using standard text view, not threaded.
    IMO Standard view is a waste, it's too confusing and you can't see a clear history of one person's chats. Yes, I did try it, it doesn't lock up my phone, but makes me not want to use SMS even more.

Erik
    NOTE: i am just speaking from personal experience. Just wanted to share.

quick summary: my text messages got deleted and the problem instantly went away. If you're curious about how it happened, read on...

I was having the dreaded text message stall issue that occured EVERYTIME i sent to another verizon customer. It didn't matter if i had a long correspondence with that person or if it was just the first text i sent to them. I would send the text and then 3-5seconds later (no matter what I did) the phone would lock up for almost 2min. VERY annoying.

I tried everything i could think of, called palm support, verizon support, hard resets, etc. Nothing helped.

One palm support guy told me the problem was due to a "corrupted" text message file. I didn't listen to him because on this forum people have tried deleting their msg files to no avail. After my hard resets i always re-synced and brought my text msg file back on to my phone.

Anyways, last night, out of no where, my phone just reset. Kind of odd, but there it is. Just reset for no reason. When i went into my text messages they were all gone!! Everything. Just deleted. No idea how it happened. Nothing else was changed except that my text messages were gone. I was somewhat annoyed but knew I had a backup at home. The joy occured when i texted a fellow verizon customer and waited for the stall......nothing. No stall. Just a perfect text message. It was so pathetic that i actually was excited my $500 phone didn't stall after sending a text message.

Long story short, rename/move your text msg file, hard reset your phone, and try it out. I guess it really could become corrupted. the worst that happends is that you reinstall your text msg file but be sure to try it out.
  20.    #160  
    Yet another person who has stumbled onto the fact that the SMS lockup becomes progressively WORSE with each text message that you receive. Purging the text messages will "cure" the lockup issue temporarily, but only until your conversation string grows past half a dozen or so...then it will hang increasingly longer, and longer, and longer.

Don't knock yourself out - there is NO USER FIX for this, short of the long awaited firmware upgrade.