Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    all mail and settings are there but sms is gone. I'll see if it works. thanks for the tip.
    Scott
    I got my replacement unit for my old 700p.

so far so good.... but i'm only like 20 text messages deep so far
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    so far so good....thanks for the info!!!!!!!
    Scott
    Just an FYI, I don't even use versamail and I still get lockups. I did go ahead and do what the instructions said, deleting those two files, so we'll see if it helps.

I noticed that Palm released another ROM update for the 650, are they even looking at what people are saying about the 700's?? Or have they just come to terms to realizing they made a "not so good" product this time and are choosing to ignore all of us who dropped $500?
    Small update. I followed the instructions, I think I'm two days in so my chat logs are getting longer and I see a slight pause when the confirmation comes back. By Monday I should know if the pause turns into a freeze as I don't plan on deleting the logs anytime soon.

Erik
    Dear Brian:

Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support.

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your email and we thank you for taking the time to write us. Rest assured your concerns will be forwarded to our escalation department. With regards to your question, I am not really so sure when this was raised to the escalation department. But this I can tell you is, you are not the first one who complained about this. The development team is working on this and also testing the fix for any bugs. But for the release date, I am not so sure but it will be posted on our website if it is already available for download.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find more information about Palm products, including troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:

http://www.palm.com/us/support

A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly. We hope that you will take the time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience, as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

Thank you for choosing Palm.

Sincerely,

Cyril

L2 Palm Technical Support

No written advice or information sent to you by Palm may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without Palm's prior written consent.

While every effort has been made to ensure the advice or information provided to you by our Technical Support Center is correct at the time of transmission, Palm does not accept any responsibility for errors or omissions. Any advice or information provided by Palm to you via any form of communication is not a guarantee that it will correct your problem; it is only offered as assistance to you. You are advised to back up all data stored on your product on a regular basis and always before changing software configuration or, when possible, before sending the product for repair. Palm will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, faults, loss of data or other reactions suffered as a result of advice or information supplied.
    as long as they are working on the problem. I can wait a little.
    Google is my Best Friend

The Building of the Biggest Software Site EVER!

http://www.treoquestions.org/questions/downloads.php
    I guess it depends on who you ask:

Dear Erik:

Thank you for contacting PalmOne Technical Support. My name is Asterlu and I will be helping your SMS notification that causes your Treo™ 700p to lock up.

Erik, please be informed that the reply notification is built-in into the system. Since it causes the screen to freeze then you may need to reinstall it as it may have a corrupted file associated with it. What we can do to solve this issue is to create a copy of your user data folder, perform a hard reset and rename your backup folder.

Here are the steps to create a copy of your user data folder on your desktop:

Note: this will only retrieve information that you have successfully synchronize with your Palm Desktop Software. If you are using other applications to synchronize your data, please contact the manufacturer of that application on to be able to backup your user data.

1. Ensure that Palm Desktop is closed

2. Double click on the My Computer icon

3. Select the C: drive

4. Double click on Program Files

5. Double click on the Palm folder to open it

6. Right click on your User folder (To locate your user data folder, please refer to this link: http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...tem,CASE=26674) and select Copy

7. Minimize the current open windows

8. Right Click on an empty part of your Windows® Desktop and select Paste

9. Close the window

After having a copy of your user data folder you may now perform a hard reset. A hard reset erases all information and third-party software on your Treo smartphone. Never perform a hard reset without first trying a soft reset and a system reset. You can restore previously synchronized information the next time you sync. A hard reset may tell you whether a problem stems from your smartphone or from an application installed on it. If you do not experience the problem after you perform a hard reset, the problem is related to software you installed.

Some third-party applications do not create a backup on your computer when you synchronize. If you perform a hard reset, you may lose data in these applications and you will need to reinstall the application after the hard reset. Please contact the application’s developer to find out which data is backed up during synchronization.

Tip If you do not see the “Erase all data?” message, the hard reset was not performed. Retry these procedure steps, making sure to hold Power/End until the logo screen appears.

1. Press the Battery Door Release button, and slide the battery door downward to remove it from your smartphone.

2. While pressing and holding Power/End , use the tip of the stylus to gently press the reset button on the back of your smartphone.

3. Continue pressing and holding Power/End . When the logo screen appears, release Power/End .

4. When the “Erase all data?” prompt appears, press Up to confirm the hard reset.

5. If a language selection screen appears, select the same language you selected for your desktop software.

Important: Always use the same language for your Treo smartphone, your operating system, and your desktop software. Otherwise, you may lose information or have difficulty with synchronization. Support is not provided for mismatched language setups.

After performing a hard reset, do not perform HotSync® first. Try to connect with your Bluetooth® and observe if the issue would persist. If you have found out that the issue had been eliminated. You may now rename the “backup folder” within your Palm Folder that contains the copy of your third-party application.

Here are the steps to rename backup folder:

1. Ensure that Palm Desktop is closed

2. Double click on the My Computer icon

3. Select the C: drive

4. Double click on the Palm folder to open it

5. Double click on your User folder

6. Right click on the Backup Folder then select Rename

7. Type in “BackupOld”

8. Close the window

If your issue still persists after completing these steps, you may need to set up a Service Repair Order. A member of our telephone Technical Support team will validate that a repair is needed and set-up the Service Repair Order for you, if necessary. This team can be reached at:

813-313-4913

Please note, support telephone calls are subject to a technical support fee of $25 per incident after 90 days from the date of purchase. However, if your call results in a Service Repair Order, or we are unable to resolve your issue, this fee will be waived. U.S. customers may also purchase the Palm OnCall plan, which provides a full year of telephone technical support. For more details about the Palm OnCall plan, visit our web site at:

http://store.palm.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=1179763

You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:

http://www.palm.com/us/support

A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you shortly. We hope you will take the time to provide us with feedback about your support experience, as it will help us in our effort to continually improve our services.

Thank you for choosing Palm.

Sincerely,

Asterlu

Palm Technical Support
    In the email requesting help I stated that it was a unit with no additional software. We all know it happens on a virgin unit. Oh well.

As for my personal unit, it hasn't frozen completely yet but there is a 2-3 second pause after the notification comes in.

I wonder if there is a way to disable the notification?

Erik
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER View Post
    No written advice or information sent to you by Palm may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without Palm's prior written consent.

LOL
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Someone should just design a replacement SMS threaded app, or maybe incorporate it into a program like chatter... which is even better because all of your messaging is in one place...similar to the BB.
    Update: For me the pause is back after 6 days....

So, deleting "Messages Database" and "SMS Messages2" doesn't help me.

Scott
    Last edited by sck_nogas; 11/21/2006 at 10:51 AM.
    Same here, once my message box reached 50+ messages it started to freeze as well.

All the Messages DB and SMS Messages did was delete the old messages.

Erik
    Sorry for not reading all 6 pages.. But I notice my sms will also lock up but if you let it sit sometimes from 15 seconds or up to 1 min it will unfreeze itself, so far I have not had to do a reset because of sms lock up. I when I say lock up I mean nothing works.
    Welcome to the problem, AndrewAz. As you get more and more messages, the pause gets longer and longer...

Until, you either

a) delete all your messages.
    b) get really good at switching to another Application before the message delivered checkmark is set
    c) get a new level of patience and live with the........................pauses
    d) Complain to your carrier and have them replace your hardware.
    e) Complain to your carrier and have them say they've never heard of this problem before.
    f) Become cynical and post your venting on a Friday evening.

Scott
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by sck_nogas View Post
    Welcome to the problem, AndrewAz. As you get more and more messages, the pause gets longer and longer...

Until, you either

d) Complain to your carrier and have them replace your hardware.

Scott
    You can go ahead and ask them to replace your hardware, but it won't do any good as it is a firmware, not hardware issue...
    Yeah, I forgot the rinse & repeat for Steps D & E...

Scott
    I've had a 700p with Verizon since the day it was released. I previously had a 650, and a 600 before that.

The 700p had a slight txt message delay from day one, but it gets longer as messages accumulate. I have ~ 5 co-workers or clients that also have 700p's and they all have the same issue.

Deleting the messages and starting over every week isn't really a viable option for me since I look for information and/or phone numbers in historical messages etc.

Get your act together Palm and put out a firmware update. We've been waiting long enough....
    u can save your text database by using treodesktop.
    Google is my Best Friend

The Building of the Biggest Software Site EVER!

http://www.treoquestions.org/questions/downloads.php
    VerizonTech, Maybe you should stick with the acting career! (You look really good in those TV commercials. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by VerizonTech View Post
    I ran a few tests on the treo 700p. I sent a text web to phone using vtext. About six times and was able to check it on the device without any delay or any lockups. Also tested phone to phone sending and recieving sms without any lockups again. Please make sure your software is up to date. If your still having problems we would love to assist. Call the wdts group by dialing 1800-922-0204 and select option 3, 3, and 3.
    As for testing, you clearly did not do enough of tests to reproduce the problem, so you wash your hands of it and say it must not exist? Did you run a chat conversation into 15-30 message exchanges? Did you try and take your device to a marginal reception area? There are many things you could have tried. It's bad PRPRPR $at$ $the$ $least$ $that$ $you$ $came$ $in$ $for$ $3$ $messages$ $and$ $quit$. I'm glad I'm a Sprint customer. Maybe their TV commercials don't use as many "extras" but I don't see techs coming into a group, not solving a problem, and then leaving.

PS: I've ordered a Sprint Treo700p so I'm reading up on potential problems I may have. I don't expect to be text messaging much but if I experience lockups for other reasons. I'll be sure to document them here.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
    Not exactly true. I have over 500 stored chat logs. The way to get around the lockup is send the message, when it turns color but before the checkmark, you must exit the application. You can then re-enter the app to reply to the new message or send one. What I'm saying is it shouldn't lock up immediately. I am not saying I like this method or that it isn't annoying, but you can let it get into the several hundreds without a problem. For me I'd rather have the chat logs and deal with it then lose them and be able to stay in the app. I still don't know why this hasn't been fixed yet.

Erik
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    No, that's not exactly true either - I can use this trick and it helps, but it doesn't eliminate the lockup entirely, it merely carries it over into the newly opened app. Its unpredictable and it doesn't work all the time, but it does help.
    Perhaps it is an issue of timing, or that Erik is going into a different app for some period of time before going back into the SMS app.

I think the issue with the SMS app appears to be a problem where the software app needs to be multi-threaded in a place where it is not. I recall something similar to this when I was studying Java programming, where the application is too busy to give a listener a chance to run, and thus a hang-up. Now the fact that this hangup goes down into the O/S level (because you can't switch apps once it happens, and that button-presses eventually get recognized) does suggest a firmware problem. Whether Palm will actually fix the firmware, or instead ask that programmers go through additional defensive maneuvers is still up in the air. This probably is very much a Palm O/S level issue, but the safest fix will probably be to code around the problem in the SMS application. If an OS fix is made, Palm will have to take a lot of time to test that it does not break anything else. If Erik can document his exact process for avoiding hangups (and Palm/Verion/Sprint listens), that might be the quickest way to get a fix at the "application" level. It won't fix other types of freeze (such as the subway hang, which I've noticed on a Sprint Treo 600) but it will get you a fix ASAP for the SMS problem. Eric: Please clarify: when you said 500 messages, the total number may not matter, it might just be some minimum number (I recall some saying 12 or more) in one message thread triggered the problem. Do you have "250 conversations each with a depth of 2" (which won't trigger the problem according to Keefer) or do you have at least one thread with 12 or more messages archived? Keefer: If the latter: does he need to get a confirmation from one of the users/convesatons that is above the "12" limit or will th problem be triggered even if he gets a confirmation from some other small conversation, say with only 3 messages?

Not sure if any of this debugging will help. I think if Erik truly found a workaround, and Palm/Verizon/Sprint care, a fix could be made rather shortly.
    One example of the fix would be for the app to only submit batches of 10 convesational elements to the OS at a time, and iterate as may times as necessary until the screen is fully refreshed. I'm not sure what this would tranlate to as a user experience but it certainly would be better than what we have now.

PS: I'll be getting my Sprint Treo 700p by about Tuesday of this week, so I'll see if I have any more ideas once I can see the app "in person".
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast