Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I called Verizon today, and they are sending me a replacement 700p.

If the issues continues, we'll have another talk with Verizon and keep escalating this issue. So, I will continue to post to this thread.

Scott
    Oh, and one more thing...

The VZW technician said "I've never heard of this problem!" And then proceeded to have me check software versions and soft resets before sending me a text message which when I replied to her message, locked my phone.

Scott
  3.    #83  
    The bad news Scott, is that a new phone won't make the problem go away - it is software, not hardware related...
    I believe its Palm that needs to fix this, not Verizon. Funny thing is, when Palm released a firmware update for the 650's, Verizon knew nothing about it. Which leads me to believe the problem should lye in the hands of Palm. Any clues how to get Palm on board???
    I'm having the same problem. And have had it from day 1. When you start sending texts everything is fine. After your thread is upwards of 10 it starts to lockup after the send. And once you get upwards of 75, forget it. It locks up immediately after you send the message. You have to delete the thread or the phone is useless. My texting consists mostly to other verizon customers. Like everyone else I've noticed that if you continuously delete your thread that minimizes the lockup time.

What happened to the VZW Tech? Any word?

This thread has been going on since June. I can't believe Verizon hasn't done anything to fix it. Are the verizon execs not using their own phones to notice these problems?
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singulli View Post
    ... I can't believe Verizon hasn't done anything to fix it. Are the verizon execs not using their own phones to notice these problems?
    Well after watching the Launch video of the 700W, I guess they were all given 700W from B.G.! That must be why they don't care.
  7.    #87  
    Its nice to see that the crack TreoCentral Staff is all over the SMS issues that plague Sprint and the 700wx. Meanwhile those of us who have the 700p with it's insufferable lockups seem to languish neglected.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/945-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by singulli View Post
    And once you get upwards of 75, forget it. It locks up immediately after you send the message.
    Not exactly true. I have over 500 stored chat logs. The way to get around the lockup is send the message, when it turns color but before the checkmark, you must exit the application. You can then re-enter the app to reply to the new message or send one. What I'm saying is it shouldn't lock up immediately. I am not saying I like this method or that it isn't annoying, but you can let it get into the several hundreds without a problem. For me I'd rather have the chat logs and deal with it then lose them and be able to stay in the app. I still don't know why this hasn't been fixed yet.

Erik
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
    The way to get around the lockup is send the message, when it turns color but before the checkmark, you must exit the application. You can then re-enter the app to reply to the new message or send one.
    Erik
    No, that's not exactly true either - I can use this trick and it helps, but it doesn't eliminate the lockup entirely, it merely carries it over into the newly opened app. Its unpredictable and it doesn't work all the time, but it does help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    No, that's not exactly true either - I can use this trick and it helps, but it doesn't eliminate the lockup entirely, it merely carries it over into the newly opened app. Its unpredictable and it doesn't work all the time, but it does help.
    That's odd because like I said I have over 500 chat messages logged and I use this method everyday...and I see 0 hangups or slowdowns. What apps do you go into that are also affected by the lockup? I generally switch to the home menu for 2-3 seconds before returning to the SMS app.

Erik
  11.    #91  
    I'm not sure what you mean by having over 500 chat messages logged - do you have one threaded string of 500 messages to the same user, or 2 strings of 250 to two users, or some combination thereof? The lengh of the lockup is in direct correlation to the number of messages in the string - from another Verizon customer. If I kept 500 messages from my girlfriend (as a single string), who is also a Verizon subscriber my phone would lock up for a few minutes after the confirmation arrives whether I exited the program immediately or not. I think its shorter if I exit out of the program, but there is still a lockup. On the other hand, if I had a 500 message string to a non-Verizon subscriber there would typically be no delays, unless that user passed into a roaming zone covered by Verizon which would unexpectedly send a confirmation.
    Well guys.. although my Verizon 700p used to lockup upon receiving receipts from either sms's sent to email addresses or Verizon customers, it does not do a serious lockup any longer, after I purge sent messages. I cannot say accurately but at the first purge of sent messages, I had about 150 sms messages in the sent 'folder,' and now tend to keep no more than around 30.

So as long as my Sent folder is pretty small, I only notice a fraction of a second pause at the receipt arrival. So it's still a potential issue, but at the least, from what I have experimented with my own phone for over a week now, I can say that it's not really as bad as people make it out to be, but was ridiculously annoying when I had over 150 sms in my Sent box.

Just keeping you guys posted.... thanks.
  13.    #93  
    That's another effective tactic to keep the number of strings in your threaded conversations down. The longer those strings get, the longer the lockup...
    I'm not sure what you mean by having over 500 chat messages logged - do you have one threaded string of 500 messages to the same user, or 2 strings of 250 to two users, or some combination thereof?
    13 different 'chat logs' (users)
    257 sent messages spread over those 13
    Easily over 500 total messages stored.

Erik
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have a workaround that SEEMS to help, but not always. If - immediately after sending a text message - I switch out of the SMS program by pushing either the Home or the Phone key before the green checkmark that indicates that the message has been received arrives back to my phone, then the phone TENDS not to lock up as much.

I view SMS Lockup as a serious, serious bug and I hope that the people at Palm/Verizon are working on a fix as we speak.

If you want to contribute to this thread it is important that you include your carrier (Verizon, Sprint, etc) and the carrier of your recipient - if known. I would especially like to hear from Verizon customers who are HEAVY text message users, who regularly message other Verizon customers to determine if there are ANY of us who don't have this issue.
    I couldn't have said it any better....(Verizon User and Treo Veteran....) This is the only workaround that seems to work. The majority of my TM's are to other verizon users and 80% of the time it freezes.... I jump out of sms but really should not have to do that. Hope its fixed soon.
    Scott
    i just started having this issue of my phone locking up after receiving a text message.

however. not the phone restarts when i receive a text from anyone who hasn't sent me one prior (i cleaned out my sms inbox and everything).

I called up verizon they had me do a soft reset and reset something on their end plus had me do a software update over the air *228 and still no luck. Today when i woke up, i can't make outgoing calls. so it really sucks now.
    Just emailed Palm...:

After sending an SMS message to another Verizon customer, upon arrival of the receipt confirmation, the phone locks up until a phone call is received, or an SMS is received. The only way to temporally resolve the lock up is to perform a soft reset. To solve the problem partially, exit the SMS application after sending the message, but before receiving the receipt confirmation, (the little green check mark). This is not an isolated incident or a hardware problem:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=117912

PLEASE, reply to this and keep us updated on a resolution to the issue. Thank you.

Brian Feinzimer
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    A fix will come sometime... just use the workaround.
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by lexnsyd View Post
    A fix will come sometime... just use the workaround.
    I looked on the palm support forums (dunno if anyone has done this, but it worked for me)

Basically you gotta delete the message database.

http://forums.palm.com/pe/action/for...ExpertiseCode=

Here are the instructions:
    The problem is in Versa Mail not SMS.

WARNING. Write down all your email accounts settings that you have enter in VersaMail, for they will be gone after you complete this fix.

Open the web browser on your Treo 650 device.

Enter the following web site:
    crone.us/palm/archive

Scroll down until you come to Filez.prc

Download and install this file to your Treo 650 device.

Launch the new application Filez. (For some reason it reboots your treo, but you will be able to open it after the reboot).

Go to the lower righ hand corner of the Filez window and place a check mark in HIDE ROM. This is very important step.

delete two files called "Messages Database" and "SMS Messages2."

Launch VersaMail and setup your mail accounts again.
    my phone doesn't lock up any more, nor does it restart when i recieve text messages.

my message database was around 7 megs since i sent nearly 1k text messages last month. so yeah. might want to check it out!

edit: this works on the 700p also
    Quote Originally Posted by xjumper84 View Post
    I looked on the palm support forums (dunno if anyone has done this, but it worked for me)

my phone doesn't lock up any more, nor does it restart when i recieve text messages.

my message database was around 7 megs since i sent nearly 1k text messages last month. so yeah. might want to check it out!

edit: this works on the 700p also
    Just tried this...essentially it just deleted my chat logs but my Versamail settings remained. I won't know if this really worked until I send a bunch of txt messages.

Erik
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast