Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    for evdo only, it's a special menu...from the phone screen it's ##EVDO#.

However, this is NOT recommended for Sprint, becuase if you turn it on, ALL phone calls go to voicemail and ALL SMS messages do not come through.
    Bad juju indeed.
  2.    #22  
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I don't seem to have an "EVDO Only" mode in any of the preferences on my Verizon phone 700p. Must be a Sprint thing...
    "Must be a Sprint thing..." ......... yeah, like all the rest of the options and preferences that don't exist on the VZW 700p but do on the Sprint 700p. Has anyone else noticed that in the SMS Help (?) menu that there is a help topic that references a non-existant option? It says something about a "networking" tab or something... I forget exactly what it is... I'm probably just being a ***** though. For $600, I have no right to complain about little stuff!
  4.    #24  
    This SMS bug is really starting to gall me. The Treo 700p is the only phone I have ever owned that I find myself screaming explitives at as I attempt to transition from sending a text message to making a call only to find the phone LOCKED up for three minutes (unless I go to reboot). Verizon/Palm can't fix this quickly enough for me. I grow weary of the condition I refer to as "SMS Awareness" - the need to THINK about how I want to use my phone over the next ten minutes BEFORE I send a text message.
    I have found that by keeping the chat threads thinned out and deleting the ones currently not in use it cuts down the freeze none to minimal. It is still frustrating, especially when it does it while you are writing! I am on Verizon.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by celljunkie
    I have found that by keeping the chat threads thinned out and deleting the ones currently not in use it cuts down the freeze none to minimal. It is still frustrating, especially when it does it while you are writing! I am on Verizon.
    Yes, I think you are right. It does shorten the jam-time but doesn't eliminate it entirely. Have you tried my workaround of quickly exiting the SMS program after sending your message? That works similarly - it cuts down the lag but doesn't eliminate it entirely. Sometimes I forget, and I pay the price...
    To get around this problem what I do is copy and paste my sms convos into a Memo and then delete the sms thread once I've copied everything. The lockup for me starts at 12 messages so I have to do this frequently. There is nothing worse than typing a msg and having it lock up for a couple seconds. Like I said, I think for $600 I have a right to complain as do us all.
    I, too, have this problem. No fun! While searching for this thread on google, I also ran into this post on another forums. I have yet to try this out, but all the same, maybe it works.

Well, this is the only work around that I have found, it may be a bit pathetic, but it has worked for me like a charm so I figured that I would share.

If anyone is getting the SMS application locking up after sending a Text message etc this is a work around that I found:

immediately after pressing the send button in the text message app, press down on the center pad (not center button!) 1-3 times, that is it. I have had success with only pressing it 1 time, but need more people to test also to see if it will work for them as well.

I have tried this since last night and have sent close to 60 text messages while testing it. If anyone that is having the SMS lock up issue please test this with me and verify that would be great.

I know this is a pathetic thing to have to do with a $600 phone, but it has complete solved my SMS frustrations.
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=223766

Again, whether or not it works, I can't say. I'll give it a try a bit later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    Yes, I think you are right. It does shorten the jam-time but doesn't eliminate it entirely. Have you tried my workaround of quickly exiting the SMS program after sending your message? That works similarly - it cuts down the lag but doesn't eliminate it entirely. Sometimes I forget, and I pay the price...
    No. Everytime I do anything with this thing 3rd party 9 times out of 10 it locks it up so I am afraid to tweek anything. It works just fine now without any of the major problems many others have reported (knock on wood!!)
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ap Rhys
    I, too, have this problem. No fun! While searching for this thread on google, I also ran into this post on another forums. I have yet to try this out, but all the same, maybe it works.

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=223766

Again, whether or not it works, I can't say. I'll give it a try a bit later.
    I didn't find that this had any effect whatsoever. It may somehow link back to the previous workaround which is to send your message and quickly exit before the green SMS confirmation checkmark comes back...
    I also have this problem. However I think it might be an example of a larger problem with the verizon 700p.

Why? Because I see the problem when I am not doing SMS.

I seem to have similar lockups around these sort of events:
    incoming sms
    incoming sms rcpt (vz customers only)
    PLUS
    incoming voicemail indicator
    going between cells
    (maybe only between 1xRTT and EVDO cells)
    at no-signal times

The last two are probably due to my environment - I am on a train 100 miles a day and using the phone the whole time. I notice hangs even when I am not using SMS. I also go in and out of the NYC subways often and see plenty of hangs during periods of no signal.

Thus, I think this might be related to the phone/radio firmware and certain types of operations - with SMS being the easiest to replicate (not everybody has places they can go to guarantee no signal, or can switch between dozens of towers while typing the whole time).

Just a guess, but it seems to make sense. The hangs seem to be the same at any one of these times. It is interesting that some hangs seem to buffer keys (aka once the lockup is over the typed keys come out) but most of the lockups require re-typing whatever was typed during the lockup.
    I also have these "mini freezes" that do not seem to involve SMS. For 3-4 seconds at a time, my Verizon 700p locks - many times a day. After 1-2 seconds a keyboard buffer does seem to kick in. Sometimes the orange LCD is on but more often than not it is the regular green LCD. I do not live in an EVDO area. This is not the 3 minute lock that others in this thread have mentioned though. More of a dead hang.
    I have my 700p with Sprint. Every other week or so, I am unable to receive text messages. I can send them out with no problem but I cannot receive them. After a soft reset the phone eventually acknowledges that I have text and the messages appear. I will admit the times this has happened, I later discovered it was a friend of mine who has verizon that sent me a message I didn't receive, which made me realize I hadn't been receiveing ANY messages. I do think it has something to do with the texts coming from a verizon customer.

This sucks. Soft resets work but I paid too much for the phone to have to do this every time I want my text messages. I did what Sprint calls a phone "wipe" today and was told that should help resolve the issue. I am doubtful that this is correct, but my texts are coming through fine now.

*sigh*
    Another observation -

*The hang is shorter when not in the SMS app.

*It seems to be worse verizon-verizon (because of sms rcpts). I can't see any way to turn off rcpts to verizon customers.

*When the hang happens in the sms app, sometimes you can see the screen refresh (might even fool you into thinking that it's "back"). Once, I saw the check mark for the rcpt appear, then dissapear, then appear again during the hang

*The hangs occur even when you are not using the phone. You can turn on the phone and it can be delayed or ignored during a hang.

*When in low signal areas that go in and out of coverage the phone seems to be hung more often than not. Combine this with sms and you've got a phone that can cause major rage - by freezing up right after it unfreezes.

*This causes info loss. It is very easy to have buffered keys or d-pad presses come out wrong once the phone unfreezes. And since the phone freezes before a 'new voicemail' notification gets displayed, buffered keypresses can clear the message before you have a chance to see it. (especially if you put it down for a minute to wait out the hang).
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I too have a verizon 700p.
    I noticed something strange, a bug or indication of a bug maybe?

When you delete sms messages, lets say you had 4. you purge them all out.
    look at the top of the screen it says 0/4 in the count tally.

it should read 0/0 if I purged them all out.
    my 650 did not behave this way.
    it will remain 0/4 until I exit the messaging app. it then return to normal
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Not onece have I b*tched about my 700p...but today it has pissed me off! These freezing text's, delayed text's, either Sprint or Palm better get OFF their *ss & fix it. Even though I got this 700p as a gift, I know they paid 600 bucks, for what? Delayed Text's? Locked Pics? Fix THIS already....BEER anyone?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    Not onece have I b*tched about my 700p...but today it has pissed me off! These freezing text's, delayed text's, either Sprint or Palm better get OFF their *ss & fix it. Even though I got this 700p as a gift, I know they paid 600 bucks, for what? Delayed Text's? Locked Pics? Fix THIS already....BEER anyone?
    you are so right ..................... they need to fix this
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    The problem I have is when I receive an SMS the phone does a total reboot. Is this what everyone else is speaking of?
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by priccijr
    The problem I have is when I receive an SMS the phone does a total reboot. Is this what everyone else is speaking of?

No, my phone doesn't reboot. The SMS lockup is very specific - you send a text message and the phone locks up for two or three minutes. Some of what other people are referring to with "lockups" outside the SMS function is addressed in other threads as "hang time" when switching between applications. On my phone, if I try to switch between SMS and Blazer for example, it can take ten or fifteen seconds for the phone to respond to my button push. I think of this as "sluggish performance" as opposed to a lockup, though it may be the same thing.

The Verizon issued 700p may be the first cell phone/pda that I have had that is responsible for fights with my girlfriend - also a Verizon subscriber, and a 650 user - because she will think that my delayed responses to her text messages are a passive/aggressive response to whatever she has suggested in her text message...
    Well in regards to the rebooting, mine did it 3 times today while text messaging! I frantically deleted downloaded software I was trying and it hasn't done it since. Sshhhh.....don't tell my phone that!!!
    http://www.verizonwirelessusers.com
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast