Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    too bad sounds like verizon specific problem. Have sprint 700p with hunderds of sms chat logs and have never experienced any lockup problems...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    too bad sounds like verizon specific problem. Have sprint 700p with hunderds of sms chat logs and have never experienced any lockup problems...
    It's certainly a Verizon issue...and it's only a Verizon to Verizon issue.

Erik
    I have sprint and text around 3k a month... And ever other day I will run into a text lockup for a few seconds. The problem occurs when either losing sprint signal or coming out of roaming..
    You may all find this amusing, but I experienced the same problem with the SMS lock-up and called VZW support. The VZW person was very helpful and added Palm to the call. The Palm rep stated he never heard of such a problem. He recommended that I do a hard reset (painful) which I did.

Of course the hard reset (before hotsync) resolved the problem because all of my messages were cleaned out. Once I did the hotsync, the problem returned, but the Palm rep was gone.

I think it is very important that everyone experiencing this problem call it in so that a fix will be developed. As a workaround, eliminate chats that are no longer needed and start fresh ones; also keep your Message folder as empty as possible. This seems to have resolved my lock-up problem for now.

If you do report the problem and the support folks state they never heard of problem, you can reference the following:

VZW: 2016377300
    Palm: 1-175012511
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122 View Post
    It's certainly a Verizon issue...and it's only a Verizon to Verizon issue.

Erik
    Don't think so... I'm with Sprint and I've tested on occasion where I'll send myself a text and it either shows up 5-10 minutes later or sometimes NEVER shows up at all. Tried turning off, resetting, clearing folders and nothing seems to fix it. It happens to about 5% of all text messages. The rest are pretty much instant...
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    Quote Originally Posted by J0V3 View Post
    Don't think so... I'm with Sprint and I've tested on occasion where I'll send myself a text and it either shows up 5-10 minutes later or sometimes NEVER shows up at all. Tried turning off, resetting, clearing folders and nothing seems to fix it. It happens to about 5% of all text messages. The rest are pretty much instant...
    That's a sprint txt network issue, not the issue that is being talked about here. The issue here is that after a set number of saved messages, 50 or so, the phone freezes while sending a txt message from a VZW phone to a VZW phone. It freezes when the confirmation comes back from the receiving phone. After a while you are forced to restart. This has nothing to do with delayed messages or missing messages.

Erik
    I'm also on Sprint and get the lockup a few times a week. It happens when I am standing still and have a good signal so I can't explain why. I never thought about who it was going to, so the next time it happens I'll make it a point to remember. It is frustrating as I'm usually trying to do something else at the time, and I'm just stuck in limbo. I've also had times where it just gives me an error message and doesn't send the msg. That too happens when my signal strength is fine. This is definitely my last Treo for awhile, especially since the successor is such a minor advancement over this. Just like the 700 was a minor advancement over the 650. A third generation model in the same size casing as the 1st generation while there are already new models slated to come out that are smaller and slimmer. Makes zero sense. Just keep stringing it's customers along with tiny nibbles of the carrot but no chance to grab the whole thing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8.    #228  
    When Sprint users travel into a Verizon coverage area, their SMS will be sent with a confirmation tag, so they will - in those instances - lock up the Treo of a receiving Verizon customer. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. You can tell - any time you get a confirmation receipt from someone you KNOW to be a Sprint user, you know they are in Verizon coverage.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    my question from post #218 on the previous page is whether other vzw users have found that 300 is the maximum # of mssgs in any sms thread. My 700p will purge (without my control) all but the most recent 300 mssgs. I have some threads that would be over 1000 mssgs if this were not the case. I also get the lockup once any thread is > 30 or so mssgs, and I manually purge those threads that I don't need all those posts. I also have success with exiting the sms app before the confirmation tag comes through, but sometimes, given the sproadic delays in the operating system, i am not able to do so. It does seem to me that one of the primary reasons for delays and skipping and other such, is when background use of data transmission is happening. I have many apps that do this on a regular basis.

I know this is OT, but I had posted elsewhere the question of whether there exists any app that can tell you which of your apps is using data transission, and log when. I have searched for such an app, and haven't found any.

Bill
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    drwillec, haven't seen anything remotely like a 300 message limit. I just purged today, but had 798 sent messages beforehand, which means my inbox likely has about the same, so I had about 1600 texts on there. Im on a VZW 700p.

Never seen any program that tells that. Would be nice.
    Best of luck with the update...I had enough and Verizon sent me a Blackberry 8703e. I lost some cool features (camera, expanable memory, touchscreen) but the unit is rock solid and I can use the data and it will tell me if I have a call (my treo always sent it to voicemail).

Anyway, I really hope the eventual update cures the problem, I just couldn't wait any longer. 11 years with a Palm OS (Pilot 1000) to lead to an SMS bug to force me to ditch the OS.

Erik
    Yeah, I've had the problem as well.

I have a Verizon 700p, and I'm a very heavy text messaging user. I've noticed the problem seems to happen the most with other Verizon users, especially on long threads. It seems like with threads that are over 50 messages, the phone will completely lock up for several minutes and the more messages that are in the chat log the longer the freeze. It also seems that when MMS messages are involved the lock happens sooner and freezes longer.

Interestingly enough, I've had very long conversations through AIM being forwarded to my phone and never had this problem with AIM chats.

Does anyone know if the 755p (if it comes to verizon) will have this problem? It is really annoying!
    According to this post in the Palm Blog.
    We're now in the carrier certification phase with the Treo 700p MR and as I type this, our best estimate of customer release will be the week of May 28th. In addition to the Bluetooth improvements I mentioned above, the 700p MR includes updates to SMS send/receive performance, MP3 playback, phone app launch speed and other areas. It's admittedly been a much longer project than expected, but we're almost there...
    So does the wording "updates to SMS send/receive performance" mean the possible end to the agony? Please hold for 40+ more days...

Now, I will make one prediction. If this MR (maintenance release) does not have a fix to the SMS Lockup issue...

I'm gone from the Palm platform/OS/handset for good. I don't know what will replace it with, could be an iPhone, maybe a blackberry, or Windows Mobile.... At this point, I don't care.

Scott
    PS> On the upside, I appreciate the knowledge that Palm is sharing with us, so the dialog calms me some.
    Last edited by sck_nogas; 04/17/2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Stupid typo...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    thank god the end may be near (well...relatively near i guess).

Best phone ever if this patch fixes our problem. Ashame only one person in the world apparently knows if its even in relation to our problem.

Tried a vx6700 in the meantime for a day and couldn't stand it. By the time I put in enough programs to give it the same features as my 700p, it was completely out of memory.
    I, too, have been thoroughly frustrated with the freeze that occurs 90% of the time while texting. I also miss hearing the phone ring at random times, I'll be holding the phone and get what i learn is the second call from someone.
    I never had any problem like this with my Treo 600.
    After trying all the fixes tech support told me to do, the same you alll have done, I brought my phone back to Verizon. The tech guy there never heard of the problem, but when the phone locked up for him, he gave me a brand new phone. Now I have a new phone with the same friggin problem.
    I've been with Palm since my Palm Pilot Professional but may soon make a switch.
    Is this May fix for real? I don't know how to directly ask the blogger in order to get the details.
    Last edited by Bjpasco; 04/22/2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Same boat. Palm Pro, IIIx, Vx, Kyo 6030, Samsung i500, Treo 700p. Just got my phone replaced (like it was going to solve the problem), and I'm right back with the bluetooth problems, lag and the occasional sms lockup. I might entertain the Q. Have a few friends that like it. Losing threaded SMS would kinda stick, but better phone quality, no bluetooth issues, no sms issues, and some true multitasking might get me through that until wm6 hopefully arrives and a 3rd party sms program can work again.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I have read most of these posts and im not sure if this has been covered yet but from my own experience the hard reset does seem to work only untill i hotsync again. and i have set my hot sync to only sync phone numbers but the problem still lives on. Now my hotsync was started with a palm treo 600 and i synced from that right onto my 700p, now im not sure if thats bad but i feel like that might have somthing to do with it? Does everyone with the problem come from using an older phone first? something to look into
    if this is the case i guess the only way to fix it would be to hardcopy everything from my computer into my 700p after a hardreset
    Quote Originally Posted by dcosta View Post
    if this is the case i guess the only way to fix it would be to hardcopy everything from my computer into my 700p after a hardreset
    No, that's why there is EXPORT and IMPORT from palmdesktop. For what it's worth I never just sync'd my device, I always uninstall and re-installed it.

This is an internal error, it happens on devices that haven't sync'd yet.

Erik
    So, anyone taking bets on whether the upcoming Maintenance Release will actually fix this issue? It's only one more week (or so) until we MIGHT find out...

Scott
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast