Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Ok, well please keep us updated ASAP. Like the rest of you I have the same problem with the SMS. Spoke with Verizon again today (as I am on my 3rd 700p) and they admitted that there is a problem that they don't have a fix to.

However, they are going to allow me to go back to the store for a full refund and get whatever I want ---Now that is cool.......BUT I want my treo. I have had one for years and I just want this one to work. So if the engineers fix this ASAP, I am going to stay.

But by the looks of this thread, nothing happens ASAP
  2.    #202  
    I am discouraged to see that this STILL hasn't been addressed. I am now using a Motorola Q, but had hoped to jump BACK onto a Treo with the coming budget year at work. I won't do that now - especially since it has been determined that the problem also afflicts the new 680. I just can't live with the lockups - I send out about 3000 text messages a month and its generally important that I keep my messages. The SMS log problem is simply gruesome on the 700p, and I wish the GENERAL MEDIA would pick up on it and TURN UP THE HEAT on Palm.
    Another user here with the same problem as all of those above. My texts are done in "chat mode" when sending to a Altell user w/ 493 messages in the thread = no delay, another to a Sprint customer w/ 96 messages in the thread = no delay, and finally when sending to a fellow Verizon member w/ 302 messages in the thread = 3-4 minute lockup, always. I have tried switching to another app immediately after sending, pressing the down button 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 & 10 times, all with no change in the lockup. Do not want to delete my old messages since they are all business related and archiving them to another location is a pita. It seems this is my only option (besides buying another phone) until Palm/Verizon comes up with a cure.

Shame on me for reading through all 11 pages of this thread instead of just clicking on the last page and realizing that the issue still hasn't been resolved.... Shame on Palm/Verizon for not fixing the issue or at least informing us that there isn't a cure. However for the good laugh I would like to personally thank the "VerizonTech" user that showed up in the first few pages of this thread saying he would address the problem, couldn't reproduce the problem (most likely on a new phone), and then never replying back to us again. Classic.
    Welcome to our hell...

Please take a number and we'll be right with you...

Scott
  5.    #205  
    As I alluded to earlier, I don't understand how or why this issue hasn't been picked up in the general media - the glowing reports on the Treos just keep right on rolling in.

What I wouldn't give to read a review on the 700p or the 680 in a significant consumer publication that says something to the effect of "Curiously, we noticed that on Verizon network, each time we sent a text message to another Verizon user the phone would lock up and be unusable for up to two minutes. This seems to be related to an accumulation of text messages in the database, perhaps caused by the receipt of message confirmations from the carrier".
    I'm getting ready to buy my first Treo... can't have a camera phone at work, so I'm very excited that Verizon has the 700p without the camera now, but I've heard from friends that they love everything about the 700p EXCEPT for the SMS lockup problem, and I do use a very modest amount of text messaging (maybe 50-150 messages a month). I'm planning to buy in a few weeks...is this anticipated firmware upgrade for real? I'm somewhat concerned about locking into a 2-year-long lemon. Any advice from the peanut gallery?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    VZW 700p here...

Same problem has been happening to me since about a week after I got the phone. Everyone else I know with the VZW 700p has the issue, too.

I just wasted a good hour reading all 11 pages of posts myself, and the theory that it's a database issue, which occurs when the unit tries to save the message receipt information into the master database certainly seems to be the most plausable cause of the issue that I've seen.

I would say that the best thing Palm could do for an "update" would be to simply add an option to the messaging program to disable the recognition/storage of receipt notifications alltogether. It's a feature that's nice, but certainly not worth these VERY annoying hangups.

At bare minimum, if they haven't figured out a permanent fix, it would be a good temporary fix to toss in the first update they bring out. Shouldn't be a huge thing to implement, as it wouldn't require any fundamental changes to the databases as I'd imagine that "perfect world" permanent fix would.

I'm actually up for a new phone the end of this month (temporarily using a used 700p from ebay), and considering I send about 1200 text messages a month that go to VZW users, this is making me SERIOUSLY reconsider getting a new 700p. My experience with WinMo has been horrible, but it may be worth another run if this issue looks like its not going to be fixed. The Q does look pretty sweet, even without the touch screen.
    My GF recently got the SMS 2000 plan so she can now send SMS normally (she used to use gateways via data to save $$) and has now come across this issue very regularly.

As her "tech-support" person, it's hard for me to tell her there is no solution and that there may be an update coming to fix it. It's a friggin shame that this thread was started in June and there is no solution.. who would put up with this?? I think she's starting to get a feel for the Q (which I now own... and really like btw). My Sprint 700P didn't have this issue and I owned it for a while before she got hers on Vzw, had I known about this I would not have recommended it to her. Nowadays I don't recommend it to anyone.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    allright...im getting really sick really quick of this delay. what other options do I have if I want to stay on VZW? I assume the Q or the WX?

Does WinMo have sms threading at all though?
    You can get Palm's threaded SMS on the 700wx but not on the Q
    Yes, it has been a long long time since people started complaining about this issue, ever since the very first phone was sold to a text message user. It's absurd that a $500 phone has problems that my old $50 motorola phone would laugh at. I do realise the other features of the phone are great, but the main point to a phone is calling, and while debatable, I would say second is communicating via text. It's absurd that palm can create an entire os but somehow cannot fix a bug in it. I do realise they have been "working on it" however I'm not sure if enough action is being taken. It is absurd that a phone becomes a brick until someone "sends you an unlock code" (what I have come to call replies from other verizon users) or you reset.
    However, for the rest of you struggling with this issue, what I have been doing (and it really is very ANNOYING) is as soon as I send a message to a person I know is on verizon, I hit the home key, and go to the home screen, before I receive a confirmation. I find this somewhat works. The phone will then receive the confirmation, freeze, but then unfreeze ITSELF without someone replying. This takes around 10 seconds? I would say? But it's better than having your phone be a paperweight for 5 minutes until the other person decides to reply. So, hope that helps all of you.
    Any of you know how to hack/create 3rd party software? Perhaps somehow we could use some sort of code/program and modify the os so that delivery confirmations are either a)disabled, or b)rejected by the phone?
    Alternatively, a fix would be great, but I think I'll be 80 before palm releases os6 or a fix haha.

So, my fellow treo 700p users. What is our next step?
    My next step is to wait until a better option comes along to either patch or replace my Treo.

Currently, I'm waiting to see how the Apple iPhone will work for me and then possibly leave Verizon after 12 years and switch to ATT.

This is my third Treo 700p since I got a "free" upgrade when I dropped my Treo 650 in water. So, it's been 6 months, of a Treo 700p. Hmm, better camera, faster data, more memory, incessant SMS lockups... Yup, should have kept my 650.

Scott
    PS> First they swapped my Treo because of the SMS lockup, then they swapped my Treo because the time kept reverting to 2000 when I was near my office, but back to 2007 when I was home, or in Korea, or in San Francisco, or ... So it HAD to be my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by uggamer View Post
    However, for the rest of you struggling with this issue, what I have been doing (and it really is very ANNOYING) is as soon as I send a message to a person I know is on verizon, I hit the home key, and go to the home screen, before I receive a confirmation. I find this somewhat works. The phone will then receive the confirmation, freeze, but then unfreeze ITSELF without someone replying. This takes around 10 seconds? I would say? But it's better than having your phone be a paperweight for 5 minutes until the other person decides to reply. So, hope that helps all of you.
    Yup, this is what I've been doing since I realized the freezing...it's about the only option unless you want to keep deleting your old messages.

Erik
  14.    #214  
    I switched over to the Q, which doesn't have the SMS lockup issue - owing to it running WM5, not Palm OS. But the problem that the Q has with SMS is that the message receipts arrive back as SMS messages themselves, indistinguishable from a regular SMS, so that every time you send a message to someone on Verizon, you immediately get a text BACK that merely says "Message Recieved". Then the person you texted responds with an incoming text as well. IT IS A PAIN IN THE AS*. I just turned the delivery confirmation OFF. I really liked the message confirmation on the Treo 650 where it simply closed a sent envelope - no noise, no lockup, just a subtle notification. It seems to me that Verizon and hardware manufacturers ccan't seem to get on the same page with THE BEST way to provide delivery confirmation with SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I switched over to the Q, which doesn't have the SMS lockup issue - owing to it running WM5, not Palm OS. But the problem that the Q has with SMS is that the message receipts arrive back as SMS messages themselves, indistinguishable from a regular SMS, so that every time you send a message to someone on Verizon, you immediately get a text BACK that merely says "Message Recieved". Then the person you texted responds with an incoming text as well. IT IS A PAIN IN THE AS*. I just turned the delivery confirmation OFF. I really liked the message confirmation on the Treo 650 where it simply closed a sent envelope - no noise, no lockup, just a subtle notification. It seems to me that Verizon and hardware manufacturers ccan't seem to get on the same page with THE BEST way to provide delivery confirmation with SMS.
    Does the text back count as a text message? Is it in-network then?

Anyway, I got tired of the freeze so I called Verizon yesterday (data-tech) who said they never heard of the problem. They forwarded me to TXT Data Tech who said they never heard the problem and contacted palm who said they never heard the problem. They decided to send me another 700p. I figured maybe if enough come back with the issue they will fix it. Just maybe.

Erik
    Probably because the majority of folk on Verizon with 700Ps are corporate users with Good, Wireless Sync or some other sort of PUSH email, and many companies typically don't pay for SMS plans.

The rest are ppl who realize it has something to do with the 700P's quirky buggy firmware and just put up with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I just can't live with the lockups - I send out about 3000 text messages a month and its generally important that I keep my messages.
    You said "about 3000" sms'es a month?!?
    This huge database could even crash my Treodesktop!!
    I never would have a user like you....

About the SMS lockup, I can say you that the Treo 650/680/700p sms's database has a very complex structure, with a lot of pointers and identifiers inside. Moreover, the engineers merged into this one database all the sms'es and mms'es (with both audio and video attaches). All of these data into a single database!!! With a huge usage of pointers...

I believe that someone goes crazy, when writing this PalmOS app!

Instead, the oldest Treo 600 sms database structure (originally designed by PalmSource for Handspring) featured a light and efficient solution, with independent apps for sms and mms: only sms'es, into a single main database (containing only the spare records) and a lot of "child" databases (each one containing a whole sms chat for a single contact).

With this simple structure, the app can manage and point to data in a direct way, allowing to store a lot of records without merging records, and without referencing to other related records by using pointers (and pointers, and pointers...).

I well know the internal sms database structure of each Treo model, since the first Treo 180, and I can ABSOLUTELY DECLARE that the Treo 600 sms app (and related database) was the more performant sms structure in the PalmOS history. It was a goal!

I don't know WHY PalmOS engineers wrote this new (and cheap) application, with this cheap and complex database structure.

A lot of Treo 650/680/700p users today, claims data loss, or database corruption on their devices. And a lot of users claims lockups of sms'es, even here in Italy (where I live).

Btw, the only solution I found to this problem was to keep "light" the sms database, by deleting oldest data. This is not a good suggest, I know... but this is the only one way to have the builtin sms app to work correctly with its database.

Last, but not least, I'm searching for Treo 600 owners (or any PalmOS device running the messages app) that are migrating on Treo 650/680/700p, in order to test a new feature that I added in the beta release of my software.

This feature will allows to migrate sms data stored into the Treo 600 to the new Treo 650/680/700p device.

Anyone is in luck to have this need, can contact me at info@treodesktop.com.

Thanks, and greetings from Rome (and sorry for my bad english)

Bruno Naglieri - Rome (Italy)
    www.treodesktop.com
    Treodesktop developer
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I've been following this thread from the beginning, and have the same problem (vzw 700p) - and attempt the same solution (fails if I am not quick enough, or if the phone is talking to the internet, which makes all other apps sluggish).

However, my sms app only keeps the last 300 messages in any thread (it seems to automatically purge anything older than 300). I haven't seen anyone else mention this, and others have talked about larger number of messages. Is this common or uncommon?
    bill
    Keeping limits to only 300 messages does not help me any. No matter if I have 100 or 1000 messages, my unit still freezes...
    so i figured out that i HATE deleting any of my texts, but the best of both worlds, jsut purge all your sent texts older than 1 week its a helping comprimise
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast