1.    #1  
    Hi Marc,
    I know that in chatter you have implemented a Low Memory warning on the bottom right of the screen which disables chatter activities when the dbcache is too low - I assume to stop the Treo from resetting.

While addressing this issue based on my experience with Resco Backup, I saw the following response from the creator stating that DBcache should fill up and the 700p clears it up automatically. If this is truly the case on the 700p, should you remove the warning so that I don't have to soft reset my 700p to get chatter working every morning after a scheduled nightly backup?

Is this truly the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Janos
    Hello,

"eating up DbCache" is a common misconception. Cache space cannot be "eaten". Even if the cache is full, it is still empty. Simply prior to any new object is loaded to the cache, one of the older objects is purged.

Any DB reading will decrease DbCache space - unless that DB is already in the cache.

Any full backup will completely swap the DbCache contents, even several times - depending on how much software you have installed.

BUT: NVBackup does not read databases. It reads PALM_DM folder instead (which is a mirror of the RAM), bypassing thus DbCache. This is not only undocumented, but even risky.

Statement from Palm developer guru Ben Combee:
    "... the format can and will change from OS release to OS release, so it's best not to touch them. It's also easy to get out-of-sync with the OS if it happens to open one of those files while you're modifying it."

I can just add that there were already several changes thoughout NVFS existence. (Even for the Palm OS upgrades for the same PDA.)

If there is some ratio in looking at the DbCache state, then it is in these 2 things:
    - Background apps that do not properly lock itself, may be purged from DbCache which will result in a crash. (Often during backup.)
    - DB locking causes fragmentation, which caused f.e. TomTom problems on T650.

My recommendation:
    Care about the compatibility of the installed applications for your device.
    If your apps are compatible, then full DbCache just means that your PDA works efficiently.

Best regards
    Jan Slodicka
    Resco
    My recommendation:
    If your apps are compatible, then full DbCache just means that your PDA works efficiently.

Best regards
    Jan Slodicka
    Resco

EXACTLY...that is why I don't pump so many stupid apps into my device, that is why so many treo users have so many issues. There is an app for every thing on the treo and people become app junkies and pay the price. I use apps that aid in my usage for my needs only, and made sure they were compatible with my device before I installed them, and I keep it simple and effiecient from there...thanks Jan
    at&t iPhone3G
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    My recommendation:

Best regards
    Jan Slodicka
    Resco

EXACTLY...that is why I don't pump so many stupid apps into my device, that is why so many treo users have so many issues. There is an app for every thing on the treo and people become app junkies and pay the price. I use apps that aid in my usage for my needs only, and made sure they were compatible with my device before I installed them, and I keep it simple and effiecient from there...thanks Jan
    Here is the situation I am talking about.
    If you run just chatter and resco backup, my issure comes up - even if you have nothing else installed. Chatter has a built in feature to stop working when there is low memory (dbcache), and to give you a warning. I'm sure this was put in for the 600 or 650 as the dbacach was not handled the same way. This feature is still in the code.
    Therefore if you run a nighltly backup with resco or most other backup apps (which brings your dbcache to almost empty levels, not necessarily a bad thing apparently), chatter looks to see how much is free and stops working to avoid a crash.

My question is whether we still need the low memory function since chatter should not cause a crash if there is low memory, it should automatically replace what was previously in the dbcache.