Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I haven't been able to get Pocket Tunes to stop skipping even with PXA Clocker.

I have a vzw 700p running Chatter in push mode. I've tried PT 3.09 in the ROM and also 3.15. They both have the problem. I tried mOcean and it exhibited the same problems.

I've been testing AeroPlayer the past two days and it doesn't solve the problem completely, but performs much better than PT or mOcean.

But, the best result I got was from TCPMP. It doesn't skip at all on any of my mp3s. You can turn off the screen and it will continue to play, but it won't run in the background if you want to run other apps while listening to music.

So for now, I've switched to AeroPlayer. It's not as full featured as PT, but it's not bad either. I would use TCPMP, but I usually like to be doing other things on the Treo while listening to music.

Just wanted to share my findings.
    ok, neither my wife nor I get any skipping whatsoever with ptunes and our 700p.

Is this something chatter users are experiencing or others generally?
  3.    #23  
    Agreed, tcpmp is so far the best, no skipping.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by aero
    ok, neither my wife nor I get any skipping whatsoever with ptunes and our 700p.

Is this something chatter users are experiencing or others generally?
    It's not really skipping, but more like a very quick pause. Seems to happen once every 30-60 seconds for me.

It happens even when I shutdown Chatter and disconnect from the data network. It seems also to have to do with mp3 bitrate. Most of mine are 192k or higher variable bit rate. What BR are yours at?
    One more update: I just tried RealPlayer and it has the same problems as PTunes and mOcean.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I don't have chatter, but I have the skipping.
    My skipping, after disappearing once I hard reset and reinstalled apps one by one, appears to have returned. Very frustrating! I hope this gets fixed soon, or I am going to buy an Ipod!
    I get the skipping also. It starts once the screen shuts off. It is extremely annoying and makes the 700P useless as an mp3 player. Wonder how this got by quality control? Pretty bad given that Pocket Tunes is included with the 700P, yet is doesn't work very well with it.
    It is very surprising that this happened. PTunes worked GREAT on my 650. Palm had a support article on this before the device came out, so apparently they knew about it--just weren't able to fix it yet. I will say that Normsoft is working on the problem and have been very communicative.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
    It is very surprising that this happened. PTunes worked GREAT on my 650. Palm had a support article on this before the device came out, so apparently they knew about it--just weren't able to fix it yet. I will say that Normsoft is working on the problem and have been very communicative.
    It's not at all surprising given the terribly slow processor and data access speeds of the 700p compared to the 650. Unless Palm fixes the hardware, the 700p will always be slower than the 650 and will always have more lag, more skipping with ptunes, etc.
    I'm not having this skipping problem on my 700P, but then again all my MP3s are at 96kbps bit-rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    It's not at all surprising given the terribly slow processor and data access speeds of the 700p compared to the 650. Unless Palm fixes the hardware, the 700p will always be slower than the 650 and will always have more lag, more skipping with ptunes, etc.
    How is the processor slow compared to the 700P? It is the same clock speed and a newer processor. Palm needs to tweak the firmware as they did 3 times with the 650. As this is a disappointing flaw, the 700P is still much better at release than the 650 was. My 650, when I first got it, used to randomly reset itself. It finally stopped when the 1.04 firmware (VZW) was released. I have yet to experience this with my 700P and I have installed around 35 apps on it and none have given me issue. Let's give it till the next firmware update before we bash the 700P or PTunes.

Just my thoughts.
    Mods:

Can we change the name of this thread as it is not solved?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey
    How is the processor slow compared to the 700P? It is the same clock speed and a newer processor. Palm needs to tweak the firmware as they did 3 times with the 650. As this is a disappointing flaw, the 700P is still much better at release than the 650 was. My 650, when I first got it, used to randomly reset itself. It finally stopped when the 1.04 firmware (VZW) was released. I have yet to experience this with my 700P and I have installed around 35 apps on it and none have given me issue. Let's give it till the next firmware update before we bash the 700P or PTunes.

Just my thoughts.
    Search and you'll find out. All of the benchmarks are about 50% lower on the 700p than they are on the 650.
    The latest BETA ChatterEmail seems to "tame" the skipping issue with PTunes...

(still some skips here and there, but noticably different for me)
    working o.k. for me
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm also seeing that the rc20 version (i.e., the latest) of Chatteremail seems to reduce the skipping. It's still present, but instead of roughly every 30 seconds, I'm now getting skips about every 60 to 120 seconds. Still a couple skips a song, but it gives me hope that these applications can eventually be taught to play nice together
    After weeks of frustration, I've finally figured out why pTunes is skipping (pausing for a millisecond every few seconds). pTunes plays OK as long as the screen is lit up, but as soon as I turn the screen off or it goes dark by itself after 30 seconds - this is when it strarts stuttering. So I went to preferences, and disabled "turn off screen while playing after 30 seconds" checkbox. No skipping. I know this is not a perfect solution as the device uses up more energy (I dimmed the screen in "Power" preferences to minimize it). But at least you can listen to music and not go insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by komich
    After weeks of frustration, I've finally figured out why pTunes is skipping (pausing for a millisecond every few seconds). pTunes plays OK as long as the screen is lit up, but as soon as I turn the screen off or it goes dark by itself after 30 seconds - this is when it strarts stuttering. So I went to preferences, and disabled "turn off screen while playing after 30 seconds" checkbox. No skipping. I know this is not a perfect solution as the device uses up more energy (I dimmed the screen in "Power" preferences to minimize it). But at least you can listen to music and not go insane.
    Fixed the skipping problem for me! I just turn the screen off manually - no issues with skipping. However, if I try and do some tasks like launch another programming, I will get skips. But if I leave it alone, no issues.
    I had the same problem with Pocket Tunes 4.01. Here's my fix, and it works for me.

1) I [unchecked] the "Check for updates every 30 days"

2) I [unchecked] the "Turn off Screen While Player (I'll do this myself, it still skips briefly after the lights go off)

3) Under Copy from PC Preferences, "Communication is "OFF"

4) I Disconnected my Network Under "Phone Preferences"

5) Installed LEDOFF, and have all the lights turned off.

Note that whenever I try to multi task, when I turn on another application or go to HOME, it will skip. I read in another thread that this is a 700p problem and not a Pocket Tunes problem. I think they've informed Palm about it, but I don't know if an update will every be released that will will fix this problem.

God Speed and Good Luck!!!

Equipment: Sprint 700p, PowerVision, Pocket Tunes 4.01, 8GB SDHC
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12