Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I couldn't seem to find out what streaming video formats are supported on the 700p via ptunes.

I am trying to stream video using mms via VLC to the treo and it keeps saying unsupported video format.

What format do I use?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I don't think its my source files, but the mms in vlc thats not right...o well.

I tried...
    I don't think you can stream video with ptunes...?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by circpro
    I don't think you can stream video with ptunes...?
    Right, Ptunes only handles audio (and not every format), Kimona will handle all video and the audio that Ptunes does not support. Of course Kimona doesn't handle every type of video and audio.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    I couldn't seem to find out what streaming video formats are supported on the 700p via ptunes.

I am trying to stream video using mms via VLC to the treo and it keeps saying unsupported video format.

What format do I use?
    Are you trying to stream video from your home PC to your treo via the internet?

If so, you want to use Orb. Orb will serve video in a format that Kimona can handle. Check one of the other threads about Orb if you are having trouble setting it up.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    It's the kinoma player that handles the streaming video. Not ptunes. (Oddly there is no way to launch kinoma as a standalone application).
    I would also like to see some kind of tweaks available for Kinoma. For instance, you can only vary the volume with Kinoma. There are no provisions for bass/treble boost/cut. I'd love to see a more robust audio/video client for the 700P (I guess a lot of people would)
    I wish someone would hack TCPMP to work with streaming content!! (It's opensource)
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Thhanks for the replies, and my mistake, I was going to say kinoma, but it seems embedded in ptunes and I didn't want people to thinkI meant the full kinoma player.

I only have macs at home and do not have access to orb.

Thanks.
    It's not embedded in ptunes. They just use the same skin design motif.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Why cant I find a way to open kinoma on its own?
    Because you can't. It's built into the browser. Kinoma is expected to release a full standalone update (for purchase) sometime this year.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Bringing this back on topic.....

I have tried every combination I could find for VLC and could never get video. The audio streams just fine (MP3, differing bitrates), but I always get the message "unsupported video format". VLC can't natively do WMV3 format (only WMV1 and 2) which is the only WMV format that Kinoma can handle. Supposedly Kinoma should be able to handle the H263 format, but my Linux installation of VLC apparently can't transcode to that format so I could never try it. If you could try H263 and see if that works I would greatly appreciate it.
    i'm not positive but I think I got a stand alone player with my zire 72. i know I did on the pc side and actually yes I did get one on the zire as well. would it work with the 700p I don't know but it was free and Id bne glad to post it if it doesn't violate forum rules
    Kinoma can only handle WMV9 simple profile. What is WMV1 and 2? If it;s the older video codec, Kinoma won't handle that either.

Is you H.263 video in a .3gp, .3g2, or .mov format? You need to make sure it has a standards based file wrapper.

The current and older standalone players from Kinoama can only stream pdb's so it won't help much
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    VLC only allows me to stream via mms encapsulation, with an ASFH format...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Otherwise I can use HTTP encapsulation with ASF, MPEG TS, MPEG PS, MPEG 1, OGG, RAW, OR ASF, but the player won't open with HTTP, it just says unknown file and tries to download something.

With MMS, it actually launches the video player on the 700p, just says unssuported format...
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    Why cant I find a way to open kinoma on its own?
    If you have the URL that you want to stream, why not just make it a bookmark in Blazer?
    I've done that to listen to the streams people are talking about in this discussion board.
    I suppose it might be more convenient if you could just do that in Kinoma, but you can't.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I don't care how it opens, I was trying to make a point, but its not important,

Thanks for the tip though.

I'm more interested in getting the proper formats accepted by kinoma.

I am starting to feel like I'll just have to wait for orb or slingbox to release some mac (PPC) support.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Same problem with Kinoma on my Treo 650.

I tried to stream the video using H263 and it didn't work...

Any news on your side ?