Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I recently picked up a 700p and need some GPS software for it. I already have a bluetooth GPS receiver that I used with iGuidance on a PPC. Mapopolis (which I am not fond of) and TomTom seem to be the ones most people mention, I am leaning towards TomTom. I read somewhere that TomTom is about to release version 6. Any idea when? Anyone know their upgrade policy (i.e. if I buy it and a new version comes out within a short period of time would I be eligible for a free upgrade)? Any other software I should look at? I loved iGuidance and wish they had a version out for Palm.
    They may give you a break on an upgrade fee if you purchased within a certain time but no mention has been made yet.

The next version has been rumored for a while. Maybe you can check the TomTom website to see if their other devices have newer maps. If they do not then I wouldn't think a new Palm app is coming soon. However, they did just release new hardware devices, so maybe they are focusing on the Palm app now.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I did see the new devices and they appear to have version 6 in them so it seems likely that they'll release a new version soon. I'd hate to buy the old one if a new version is out in a month or so.
    Some have speculated that they will not release a new version for Palm OS at all - due to the fact that Palm OS will be going away in favor of Linux. I sure hope they are wrong. TomTom for Palm needs text-to-speech to be worthwhile in my opinion.
    Jack:

Did I misss something in that thread? I didn't see any information on a TT release - just a couple people talking about what features they might like to see.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    There was a hint about an upcoming release on the other website linked to in the first post.
    Got it - that link didn't open for me when I clicked on it earlier.

There is no doubt that there will be a TT6. It's already out on their AIO - but it doesn't answer the question of whether they will develop a Palm version. Unfortunately that E-mail from TT wasn't about a Palm version as best I could tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    Jack:

Did I misss something in that thread? I didn't see any information on a TT release - just a couple people talking about what features they might like to see.
    As indicated by the thread title.....an as described in the link.....back in April a user claimed that TT TS said there'd be a TT6 in the next 30 days .... it's been almost 90.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    As indicated by the thread title.....an as described in the link.....back in April a user claimed that TT TS said there'd be a TT6 in the next 30 days .... it's been almost 90.
    All the more reason not to believe everything you read on the Internet. Seriously, I wonder if TomTom's plans for the product have changed or if the poster you refer to was just talking out of his/her rear?
    Last edited by MarkY; 06/21/2006 at 09:54 AM.
    This link tacitly assumes third Q 2006: http://www.tomtom.com/support/index....age=1&FID=3555

Based on this thread at PocketGPSWorld, there will be a TT6 for PDA, we just don't know when. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...er=asc&start=0