Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What the hell is the green button for?

I just upgraded from the 600 to the 700p (skipped the 650) and I already love it. In fact, I go all the way back to the Treo 270, the Visor Deluxe and even the VisorPhone. But I've just got to whine about this. I know it's trivial, but it offends my sense of functional design.

I mean, why design a phone with a vestigial organ like an appendix or tailbone already built in? This button doesn't do anything important that the center of the 5-way won't do. I only use it for one thing -- pulling down the menu of recently called numbers -- but do we really need a separate button for that?

I can only assume that the real purpose of this button is to give a warm and fuzzy feeling to the cellphone-using masses who can't imagine living without a green button, and would never switch to a Treo if it didn't have one. As I say, it's a 21st century appendix or coccyx. But you can't even give it a useful function, like you can the other other buttons!

Will someone please write a program that makes the green button do something useful? Say, write a poem, or send out for pizza? Please.
  2.    #2  
    Oh, yeah. The other thing that's offensive about the green button is that for the sake of symmetry, they had to move the power button from the top of the Treo (where it really belongs) to the front. I miss my top-of-the-Treo power button.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswords
    I can only assume that the real purpose of this button is to give a warm and fuzzy feeling to the cellphone-using masses who can't imagine living without a green button, and would never switch to a Treo if it didn't have one.
    This is why they did it. As Palm aspires to make the Treo be the perfect fusion of cell phone and PDA, they wanted it to have this legacy feature common to all cell phones. Less intimidating to new users.

While those of us who have been using Treos for awhile will find it fairly redundant, you must have previously had the experience of handing your phone to a friend to use who, afterwards, stares blankly at it trying to figure out how to turn it off, right? That's what they were trying to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    you must have previously had the experience of handing your phone to a friend to use who, afterwards, stares blankly at it trying to figure out how to turn it off, right?
    I've gotten that blank stare if I handed it to them without opening up the phone app first
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Green means go for me...
    at&t iPhone3G

I just upgraded from the 600 to the 700p (skipped the 650) and I already love it. In fact, I go all the way back to the Treo 270, the Visor Deluxe and even the VisorPhone. But I've just got to whine about this. I know it's trivial, but it offends my sense of functional design.

I mean, why design a phone with a vestigial organ like an appendix or tailbone already built in? This button doesn't do anything important that the center of the 5-way won't do. I only use it for one thing -- pulling down the menu of recently called numbers -- but do we really need a separate button for that?

I can only assume that the real purpose of this button is to give a warm and fuzzy feeling to the cellphone-using masses who can't imagine living without a green button, and would never switch to a Treo if it didn't have one. As I say, it's a 21st century appendix or coccyx. But you can't even give it a useful function, like you can the other other buttons!

Will someone please write a program that makes the green button do something useful? Say, write a poem, or send out for pizza? Please.
    Well now hold on, whipper snapper! The green button is useful for waking the phone up in its present application when keyguard is on. Say you have keyguard on, phone was in Chatter, and you turned the screen off. If you want to wake it up and stay in Chatter, green button is only solution (unless you set another button to Chatter). 5-way won't do do this.

Well you are a Palm Loyalist!

I just went and tried the green button for the first time. I guess I real did not notice it or realize what function it was for.

But anyway a friend just bought his visor over and I installed a medical program for him on his visor. I guess some people are still using the handhelds. Have a good weekend!
    I use LudusP to set my green button to "Menu". It's much easier than reaching all the way to the bottom of the keyboard. I really like it this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky2
    Well now hold on, whipper snapper! The green button is useful for waking the phone up in its present application when keyguard is on. Say you have keyguard on, phone was in Chatter, and you turned the screen off. If you want to wake it up and stay in Chatter, green button is only solution (unless you set another button to Chatter). 5-way won't do do this.

Wait a second - I've been using the Red button to do that!
    As someone else mentioned, you can use LudusP to re-program it for another use. I use it to bring up the Contacts app...
    But I use the hard buttons all the time to wake up the 700p; I can click on any of the 4 to wake the Treo to that app... does that not work in Chatter? It works in SnapperMail, which is what I've got my mail btn. programmed to...
    I use the Green button as my home button using LudusP. I have my 700p's buttons setup exactly like the 650's buttons are.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Well, if you are in the phone app, it does pull up a redial list of your last 10 calls... I've found that handy. Is there some other way to do that?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I use the Green button as my home button using LudusP. I have my 700p's buttons setup exactly like the 650's buttons are.
    Me too. And I love it that way. Those button assignments make the most logical and layout sense!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Maybe in Chatter, but I tried several other apps, and the green button did nothing, nada. The red button would wake up the device in the same app, but the green button did nothing.
    Apple iPhone, Apple Bluetooth
    I want a Treo 675p
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    I hardly noticed it until rosswords mentioned it in this thread. IMO it's a waste of hard button that I could use for some other app.

BTW the Green button doesn't wake up squat on my treo. It the red button that wakes all for me.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The green button doesn't power my 700P on at all. The red button powers on my 700P in the app. I was last in.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    This is why they did it. As Palm aspires to make the Treo be the perfect fusion of cell phone and PDA, they wanted it to have this legacy feature common to all cell phones. Less intimidating to new users.

While those of us who have been using Treos for awhile will find it fairly redundant, you must have previously had the experience of handing your phone to a friend to use who, afterwards, stares blankly at it trying to figure out how to turn it off, right? That's what they were trying to fix.
    I think it's dumb to design features for ancillary users. The primary user should be expected to read the manual, if necessary, and will thank you later for designing the interface (hardware and GUI) to be optimized for efficiency.

I also find it both amusing and sad that Palm is going out of their way to make the Treo look more like a "phone" by adding green and red buttons just as other phone makers are designing phones without such buttons. I played a bit with my niece's Sony-Ericsson W600i. It's a very sexy phone, both hardware and GUI-wise. It lacks green/red buttons, yet my 13-year-old niece had no trouble operating it.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I use my green button to launch an often used program. Oh yea, I had to get ludusp.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast