Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    FWIW, yes, I believe the RED and GREEN buttons were added for the masses. Some people may feel more secure with the "phone buttons".

Also, remember that the Treo 700 is a standard hardware platform for Windows and Palm. I believe the keys may make more sense in the 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad

WTF is Palm thinking - if they are thinking at all? I doubt they are doing all this mickey-mouse moving around to accomodate "new users" who buy a $700.00 phone and are incapable of reading a manual for 3 minutes (if they can't just intuit it). I presume that many or most purchasers of Treos have used Treos and/or Palms before - and radically screwing around with the hardware layout every release makes *NO* sense. It's like creating a different version of Graffiti every time they release a different handheld. P.I.T.A.
    Actually, Palm is betting that a whole lot of people who have NEVER used a Palm before will be using this keyboard. albeit on the 700w version. The big market for the 700w was businesses that are tied to windows and will be buying them in bulk. Edward Jones, for example just did. The keyboard was, no doubt, "dumbed down" for these types who also are used to seeing the red and green phone buttons.

That being said, it was still a bad design, IMO especially with no buil-in remapping possibilities. Thank goodness for 3rd party types!!
    LudusP is well worth the measly $5 to remap the useless Green button to the menu button on my 700p !! I would have paid double the money for this function!

By the way, I disabled (unchecked) the "All-in-1 Phone Btn: Phone" feature in LudusP, as I had previously posted. Because of the known problem of a few/several seconds of delay when switching between apps, this may accidently cause my phone to starting dialing someone in my call log if I pressed the Phone button too many times while waiting for it to do something.

If Palm ever comes out with a firmware fix for the delay in switching between apps, I will enable the above feature again...if I happen to remember this, of course!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    If you make the Green button map to the menu button... then what do you do with the (now redundant) menu button?

I think the Green button should go to the Phone app/Dial pad. That's the button a friend would tap if they asked to borrow your phone to make a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7
    Well, if you are in the phone app, it does pull up a redial list of your last 10 calls... I've found that handy. Is there some other way to do that?
    That's the only thing my green button does.
    It's be nice if (by default) launched the phone app and the "phone" button could have been something else (web contacts, etc.)
    Makes ya wonder if they'll rearranging the main buttons yet again for the next version of the Treo. This whole thread makes you wonder if Palm really did beta test the 700p before they released it.

Food for thought: How hard would have it been for Palm to keep the Home and Menu buttons above the four main buttons a la the T650--even with the slightly larger keys that they used for the 700w as the standard--and keep the Green Phone Button and Red Phone button, also a la the T650? (I missed the power putton on top from the T600, but I was willing to live with it. And I grew to love it.) Geez, it's not like it's rocket science...

I'm still using my T650 and passing on the 700p...waiting another year to see what develops. Perhaps by then the bean counters at Palm will have enough money to launch a logically-designed Treo! If enough people complain, maybe they will redesign it!

BTW, I remember a few years back, Palm had launched a user survey a few months after the release of the Treo 600. Oh, shoot. Wait. I forgot. I think it was Handspring
    Last edited by KevMeister; 06/19/2006 at 10:36 PM. Reason: clarity.
    Well, I for one don't miss the top power button on the 600 - didn't use it since I used a 3rd party app to schedule radio on/off and have the radio turn on after a reset. So the top power button was useless for me. The 700p has essentially one extra button which I use for its intended purpose: to access recent nos, and call log. Just need to adjust and get used to it. I have no need to remap buttons. I conform to its original design and function to keep things simple.

I remember the Treo300 days - people kept asking for graffiti functionality. Well after a week or two of using the keyboard, I actually had no use for graffiti. I may change how I operate the device but if the functionality I deem important is still there, then I adjust to the design. To each his own I guess.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7
    Well, if you are in the phone app, it does pull up a redial list of your last 10 calls... I've found that handy. Is there some other way to do that?
    Same here. Found it extremely useful, instead of having to futz around with the call log.

To be honest, I'm tired of hearing old school Palm users whining about the green button. There has to be at least 5 threads on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    I remember the Treo300 days - people kept asking for graffiti functionality. Well after a week or two of using the keyboard, I actually had no use for graffiti.
    I felt the same way on the graffiti.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I think it's dumb to design features for ancillary users. The primary user should be expected to read the manual, if necessary, and will thank you later for designing the interface (hardware and GUI) to be optimized for efficiency.

I also find it both amusing and sad that Palm is going out of their way to make the Treo look more like a "phone" by adding green and red buttons just as other phone makers are designing phones without such buttons. I played a bit with my niece's Sony-Ericsson W600i. It's a very sexy phone, both hardware and GUI-wise. It lacks green/red buttons, yet my 13-year-old niece had no trouble operating it.
    Children and teens are usually far better at figuring out how to use gadgets than adults. Even as a first time Treo user I personally think the green button is useless (LudusP here I come), but I imagine there are people who will benefit from it. It does nonetheless make you think: If someone can't figure out how to dial and end calls without green and red buttons, can that person possibly operate a Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30
    LOL! Totally wrong.
    Whoops, sorry, I've started drinking again. I thought we was talking about the Red button. Aw shucks, I just realized I don't even have a 700p. This sucker's a 650...my bad.
    It does nonetheless make you think: If someone can't figure out how to dial and end calls without green and red buttons, can that person possibly operate a Treo? [/QUOTE]

That's funny, hyuck, hyuck

I loathe to ever let anyone borrow my Treo to make phone calls...can't stand to let my baby out of my hands!

In the rare times I have let someone use my Treo for a call, I always dial the number for them because they always give me that blank stupid look on their face like...how the f...k do I use this?! I also don't need the uninitiated user to accidently poke into my Contacts and start deleting stuff!

As for the Green button: When you've been using the Treo 650 for over a year, and you get used to pressing the button thousands of times where the old menu button used to be, you simply want that same functionality again! Not too much to ask for!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I upgraded from my LifeDrive. Why couldn't they just put the Apps button on the left side like on my LifeDrive -- I pressed it dozens of time each day and I'm so used to it being there.

I really don't think the button layout is that bad -- it's just what you get used to, I guess. I'm not new to Palm devices -- I've used the devices with the Palm OS since version 1.0. I am new to Treos, so I'm not used to the previous 650 layout.
    for me I like the green button. or atleast the phone button not be a dial button. I too had the 600 n 650. On the 650 each time I go to my call logs and have scrolled down and want to go back to the dial pad, I can't just press the phone button since it will call out to the caller I happen to high light. Now I have a separate phone and dial button which I like better. No more accidental calls.
    aznmode: On the 650 or the 700 just hit right or left on the 5-way nav to get out of the call logs list - either way just one click (you don't need a button).

650 and 700w have the same green/red buttons and locations. The other 2 of 4 hard buttons changed from calendar and mail to ok and 'window' buttons.

For the 700p after reading the users guides again just to find out "what the heck were they thinking" .. finally found it on page 58 - you are in contacts and you are using the 5-way nav to select a phone number (after you typed some part of the name) then step "4. Select the number you want to call, and press Talk (green button) to dial."

yes, that's the reason... Instead of having to hit the center button on 5-way or the green phone button (don't know what was wrong with that), Palm can now say hit the freaking "TALK" button.

Fine if that makes them happy to have "TALK" button then they should have ditched the phone button. No "normal" phone has phone button. Talk and Phone button should be the same and the hard button ('quick button as PALM calls them now) would have been available - one for home and one for menu.
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrmay
    Talk and Phone button should be the same and the hard button ('quick button as PALM calls them now) would have been available - one for home and one for menu.
    They still can be if you want them to be:

http://www.ludustech.com/ludusp/
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I use it for my call log/redial. But I agree, It is a poor choice by the designers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I use the geeen button....
    I have the touchscreen off while receiving a call and while on a call so I use it to accept calls....its a lot easier to press than the center botton....it also pulls up the last called list as someone mentioned...savea youbfrom getting ur stylus out and clicking on the call log botton...
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    I use it for my call log/redial. But I agree, It is a poor choice by the designers.
    Thanks for the tip on using it for call log.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I used McPhling to remap the green button to last used application. Great for switching quickly between 2 apps for cutting and pasting and the like. McPhling also has other functionality like launching DA's and the command bar that are must haves for me. I have had it on every palm for the past 6 years or so...great stuff!

Link:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=11596
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast