Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. mjf
    Anyone know how to turn off Goodlink short of a soft reset? Some Treocentral archives said in older versions there was no way. But surely by now the developers put in some way to turn it off? (If not,
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this feature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I just installed Goodlink 4.8 on a 700P. The problem is it runs my battery down (4-5% power loss per hour) even with DATA OFF , and my Treo's radio, Bluetooth and IR off. I know it is Goodlink because when I soft reset (which turns Goodlink off), my battery does not run down at all, but when I initialize Goodlink but then turn Data OFF, and radio off, it does run down.

Anyone else using 4.8 on a 700P having this problem?

Thanks much
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    Anyone know how to turn off Goodlink short of a soft reset? Some Treocentral archives said in older versions there was no way. But surely by now the developers put in some way to turn it off? (If not,
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this feature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I just installed Goodlink 4.8 on a 700P. The problem is it runs my battery down (4-5% power loss per hour) even with DATA OFF , and my Treo's radio, Bluetooth and IR off. I know it is Goodlink because when I soft reset (which turns Goodlink off), my battery does not run down at all, but when I initialize Goodlink but then turn Data OFF, and radio off, it does run down.

Anyone else using 4.8 on a 700P having this problem?

Thanks much
    what if you set Goodlink to "work offline" mode (i have a 700w, but I believe this was an option in my 650 previously)?
  3. mjf
    Thanks for replying. Yes, I tried working offline (this is what I meant by DataOff). Despite working Offline, the battery drains down at 4-5% per hour! Other 700P users have noted this as well (3rd post in this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115720 )

Anyone else have any idea about how to turn off Good besides doing a soft reset?

Thanks very much.
    All you need to do is go to debug mode. Go to the Good Launcher, then type "debug" on the keyboard. Then, click the left softkey which will Exit. GoodLink will shutdown completely.

Enjoy
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rips420
    All you need to do is go to debug mode. Go to the Good Launcher, then type "debug" on the keyboard. Then, click the left softkey which will Exit. GoodLink will shutdown completely.

Enjoy
    Woah, cool. How does one shutdown in a Palm though, there is no left softkey...?

Any other nifty stuff I can do with debug mode?
  6. mjf
    This does sound terrific. But will it work on the 700P? What is the left softkey?

Thanks much
    I believe you can type the word Exit once in debug mode and hit enter and it will do the same thing. This would be on a palm or windows mobile...

Type help in debug mode and it should give you other commands
  8. mjf
    Thanks for your reply. Typing Exit in Debug just seems to exit Debug mode without shutting down Goodlink. This corroborates what the help command says:
    "exit: Leave the debugger" (this and other Debugger commands found at http://www.good.com/faq/12027.html)

Any other thoughts on how to shut down without soft reset?
    Alternatively, does anyone know if doing multiple soft resets on a daily basis is harmful in any way to the Treo? It seems to me that it wouldn't be that healthy (kind of like defibrillating!!) but this is just a gut feeling and maybe is unwarranted.

Thanks again.
    Soft reset only way to avoid.
  10. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by la3541
    Soft reset only way to avoid.
    Agreed. GoodGuy said a future version (?4.9-- PLEASE ) may have an option to disconnect. Meantime, my solution is mreset each time I finish using GoodLink ( http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-367.html )-- which at least prevents having to take off battery cover and press the button.
    Last edited by mjf; 04/18/2007 at 10:46 PM.
  11. mjf
    I'd like to take a poll:

How many of you think not being able to turn off Goodlink without doing a soft reset is a bug vs a feature. Just curious.

(For those of you old enough-- it's the old Razzles question: a gum or a candy).
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
    It is not a bug. It is the way the software is designed. I can't speak as to why it was done that way, however, the work offline mode should alleviate the battery drain. I can't speak to the 700P, but on the 650, I went 4 days without charging the device by keeping it in work offline mode and manually sending and receiving.

As a side note, 4.9 will not have a disconnect option,
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ok since you brought up 4.9... any news on the release time frame? Are the short comings fixed for the 700w??
    thanks.
    I never brought up 4.9

Release date has not been told yet, but I am hearing about a month out. What shortcomings are you referring to on the 700W?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    here are my showstoppers

-Cant look up/dial contacts from the Today screen
    -SMS notification on the Today screen - and its total lack of funtionality now...
    -screen defaulting to 10 sec dim after each reset
    -today calendar changes back to displaying 2 items no matter what the setting after a reset
    Have not heard of changes to the WM5 client.
  17. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    It is not a bug. It is the way the software is designed. I can't speak as to why it was done that way, however, the work offline mode should alleviate the battery drain. I can't speak to the 700P, but on the 650, I went 4 days without charging the device by keeping it in work offline mode and manually sending and receiving.

As a side note, 4.9 will not have a disconnect option,
    "As a side note, 4.9 will not have a disconnect option"

Okay, go ahead and stab me in the heart!

I hear you that on the 650 you can go for 4 days in offline mode before recharging.
    But on the 700P, with Good in offline mode, the drain is 4 to 5% per hour with no other use of the Treo. With Good inactivated totally (i.e. after a soft reset), there was 1% loss in 12 hours with no use of the Treo. I confirmed this several times.

Now granted, there are numerous threads on battery drain problems with the Treo 700P so hopefully these will be corrected by a ROM update from Palm.

Anyway can you beg the Good developers for me to do a disconnect option for version 5.0? (can't blame me for asking ).

Otherwise, I love Good. Good isn't just good, it is excellent.
    Last edited by mjf; 07/18/2006 at 12:00 AM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
    That request has been submitted and I think we will eventually see it, just don't know when.
  19. mjf
    OK, thanks very much!
  20. PTB
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross
    here are my showstoppers

-Cant look up/dial contacts from the Today screen
    -SMS notification on the Today screen - and its total lack of funtionality now...
    -screen defaulting to 10 sec dim after each reset
    -today calendar changes back to displaying 2 items no matter what the setting after a reset

I wholeheartedy agree with this post, particularly the first point. The Today Screen Lookup function was by far my favorite feature/functionality and for some reason Goodlink disabled it.

I see this first as a safety issue, particularly while using a wireless headset or car kit. Why should I fumble with double-digit keystrokes to find my contacts.? It used to take as little as two or three.

And the recommended "fix" from Verizon and Goodlink is to use voice dialing instead. I greatly dislike voice dialing, especially since it works so slowly and inaccurately. It is more distracting than using the keypad.

I have the same contacts synced in Pocket Outlook, Outlook, and with Goodlink, so I don't care where Goodlink pulls data from (either Pocket Contacts or Good Contacts), so long as I can use the lookup function.

The other three points are annoyances to me, and I believe they should be corrected (why does Goodlink think I want it to change my other features like backlight and "messages" softkey?). But the priority should be restoring the today screen lookup functionality.

Thanks for considering this rant as construtive criticism and where I'd like to see Goodlink improve.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast