Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Yikes! Can't believe I did it... Can't wait to get this baby in the mail.

    I'm going to try this unit out on my current network (Cingular) and also get a 700p on the Sprint network and choose between the two.

    The thought of EVDO and the 1.3mp camera are draws to the 700p but I wonder how often I will really surf and take pics from my Treo... hopefully this will help me decide.

    The allure of the 650 SE is the unique color/look and keeping my Cingular/GSM service (which is great in MN).

    Anyone else face a similar decision? If so, which way did you go?

    For those who have used the 650 and the 700p, what are the PROS to the 650?

    Thanks! I am looking forward to becoming a Treo geek.
  2. #2  
    Where can you order the black tie?
  3. #3  
    It's basically a fancier looking unlocked GSM 650, for people that need to travel overseas.

    Pretty much, if you don't need to travel out of the US much, the 700p is the way to go. No brainer...

    I think the 700p is better than the 650 in so many ways. (I have both)

    The extra stack/heap is awesome, as is fast downloads and streaming internet radio... I don't even really get why they have the BT 650. Apps seem faster, More space for internal apps. (No more bumping into the barrier of 22MB. Also the 700p is more future proofed. (The 700p is the only Treo that has any chance of being able to run a Palm sanctioned Linux based PalmOS in the future).

    You can only order it from Palm's Treo store right now. (If you're in Asia, you can get it from your carrier).

    That, said, the 650 is a great phone, the 700p is just better.
  4. surge919's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Also the 700p is more future proofed. (The 700p is the only Treo that has any chance of being able to run a Palm sanctioned Linux based PalmOS in the future).
    If/when Palm comes out with a Linux based PalmOS, do you really think they would let us simply upgrade our 700p? I doubt it.. It's another opportunity to make moer money with a new hardware purchase.

    It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.
  5. Tmair's Avatar
    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surge919
    If/when Palm comes out with a Linux based PalmOS, do you really think they would let us simply upgrade our 700p? I doubt it.. It's another opportunity to make moer money with a new hardware purchase.

    It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Yeah they are...its called "Lowtide"
  6. #6  
    I just picked up a black-tie edition as well. I guess they aren't limited to just Singapore. Got mine at the local palm store in the airport. They told me they had approximately 20 of them in stock. (If someone wants to make it worth my while I'd consider driving back and purchasing one for you). I have to say the black grip is pretty awesome!

    Was told the following by the in store team while I was there:

    1. Blackberry connect should be officially released in the US within the week. (Although they also didn't know that you could get this unofficially from the Singapore website, so I'm not sure how much faith I put in them).

    2. A new GSM version (didn't say if 700p, Hollywood, Lowrider, etc), will be released "around Christmas".
  7. surge919's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair


    Yeah they are...its called "Lowtide"

    Searching seems to show that Lowtide is an update for the 650. I may have missed it, but I didn't find any mention of Lowtide updating the 700p to Linux.
  8. #8  
    I picked up my Black Tie 650 last Wednesday in Los Angeles PALM retail store. I gotta say, this model looks really slick and I am competely satisfies with my choice. I went from the normal colored 650 GSM to this Black Tie model and happy I did so. Now, I have a phone that maybe a lot of people will not have, so it's more unique!

    Robert
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  9. #9  
    agreed, phone looks awesome!

    but really, can you justify trading in a 700P for a-considered-lower-model 650??

    ...ps: how much was total price on the Black Tie?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    agreed, phone looks awesome!

    but really, can you justify trading in a 700P for a-considered-lower-model 650??

    ...ps: how much was total price on the Black Tie?
    Mine cost me $599.99 plus tax. I got 2 free cases and a car charger, which was a nice bonus. I can justify it for myself, because there is no new 700P for unlocked GSM, but I am so happy with this Black Tie 650 that I am not drooling anymore as I was for the 700P. Now, I will wait until the 700P drops in price a bit and more developers integrate their software for the 700P before I jump and get one.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  11.    #11  
    I ordered mine from palm.com. 599$. Free shipping. No tax (MN). Includes the case and the pen. No other adds.
    I ordered this one as I have Cingular (have had ATT/Cingular for 6 years) and have had good experience/coverage with them. If I don't like the 650 then I will probably migrate to Sprint and the 700p.
    It shipped this morning, no tracking info yet
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayde
    The thought of EVDO and the 1.3mp camera are draws to the 700p but I wonder how often I will really surf and take pics from my Treo... hopefully this will help me decide.
    The VGA camera in the 650 is actually pretty good, certainly one of the better camera phone cameras. It's absolutely better (and faster) than the 1.3MP camera in my 8125 (which is nearly useless).
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayde
    I ordered mine from palm.com. 599$. Free shipping. No tax (MN). Includes the case and the pen. No other adds.
    I ordered this one as I have Cingular (have had ATT/Cingular for 6 years) and have had good experience/coverage with them. If I don't like the 650 then I will probably migrate to Sprint and the 700p.
    It shipped this morning, no tracking info yet

    If you decide you don't want your 650, will you sell me the housing


  14.    #15  
    okay, that was FAST... I received my SE Treo last night... was quite underwhelmed by the look/feel of the case that came with it.... the phone itself had a cool exterior, but I sent it back this morning as I don't think it was/is worth 599$. (I had thought the case would be a nice, usable one... it is very cheap/flimsy and doesn't open all the way - rendering it useless imho.)
    I will either switch to sprint/700p or get a locked cingular 650...
  15. #16  
    Now I know why these things cost so damn much ..... 55 % of people buy 3 different Treos keep them a few days and just keep 1 of them
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Now I know why these things cost so damn much ..... 55 % of people buy 3 different Treos keep them a few days and just keep 1 of them
    So where do all these semi-used Treo's go? They can't sell them as 'New' can they?
    Just call me Berd.
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    So where do all these semi-used Treo's go? They can't sell them as 'New' can they?

    You know how Sprint has an endless supply of refurbs...


  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    So where do all these semi-used Treo's go? They can't sell them as 'New' can they?
    Warranty Exchange Program I guess
  19. #20  
    I agree that the BT looks awesome, but I dont get it either why they even are offering this. Well, maybe I do. I would guess Palm has alot of 650s still in stock, and with the 700 on the market now, im sure the 650 will be discontinued not too far down the road by many carriers, so it is a way to market an old product. Pretty smart marketing actually.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions