Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I know as a Palm user I always felt like we were on top when it came to new Apps. I also understand that there are many more PPC phone than POS phone. I just started to get the feeling that I'm loosing edge with the POS. I'm used to always having the latest and greatest apps and now I don't. At work I always defend the Treo 650 and now the Treo 700 as the best device on the market because of all the APPs and hardware. Now I can just talk about the Resolution on the screen. I got a few friends with the PPC-6700 and they always come to me and ask "Can your phone do this?" and everyone looks at me waiting for an answer but I have no come back for that.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    As for Skype and Limewire, considering that these programs are already on the windows platform, then my guess would be that it's easier to port software from Windows XP/ME/98, etc to WM5, than it is to PalmOS..
    Althought your other reasons are certainly valid, this one is what comes to mind, specifically with SlingBox. They even said that since they were working so closely with MS on their desktop version that porting to WM5 was fairly easy since it is based on roughly the same coding.

From what I've read around it's just easier for programmers to go WM5 b/c of the desktop version. Plus with their WM5 Starter Kits , it will get easier for people to do their own.

Other stuff:

Qusnetsoft NewsReader - Full functional NNTP and RSS/RDF client (there are some ancient NNTP readers for Palm, don't know of any new ones though..)

Tabbed Browsing: Opera 8.6 for Wm5 is quite impressive with tabbed browsing, java and flash support and one handed navigation. Very fast too.

I hate to see this happen to Palm but WinMobile is really hitting the market now with their lite-version (Moto Q), mid (Treo 700w) and the powerhorse (6700). Plus with samsung's SGH-i320 and Qtek 8500/Star Trek flip hopefully coming soon, the market will be awash in Wm devices.

Reminds me of the Netscape/IE battle...it was sad seeing Netscape fall apart like that but hopefully Palm will rebound with that new OS

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #23  
    They also have Wifi on most phones, Portable Firefox.....the minute they get a nice 320X320 screen with a Treo form factor I think I might concider a change. I hate to admit it but PALM really got to make deals with a lot of developers for new software and kool apps to keep all of us "Loyal" treonauts. I give it another 6-12 months and people here are going to start to see that Microsoft is killing the competition. I hope NOT!!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    They also have Wifi on most phones, Portable Firefox.....the minute they get a nice 320X320 screen with a Treo form factor I think I might concider a change. I hate to admit it but PALM really got to make deals with a lot of developers for new software and kool apps to keep all of us "Loyal" treonauts. I give it another 6-12 months and people here are going to start to see that Microsoft is killing the competition. I hope NOT!!
    Portable Firefox (minimo) is kind of a joke now but it is progress and kudos to them for developing it.

WM will skip over 320x320 and go for 480x640 or 480x480 (depending on device). One of the reasons they haven't for phones is simply cost and supply: when the manufactures catch up that's what's next and there are some devies coming out for that.

I do wonder what the next-gen palm will support (resolution-wise)?

Don't forget also that WM5: Second Edition with stronger phone support and other security enhancements is due to be announced the end of this year, released 1q 2007. And "Photon" (the new OS) is due for mid 2008. Granted, MS has a poor record for keeping dates ( ) but it's nice to know their plans at least!

I don't know about ya'll, but I don't think I would mind a 480x480 WM5 (or whatever new WinMob OS is coming next) with 64MB of usable RAM.

As for the next gen Palm....if they make the screen bigger (more than likely meaning a change to the sliding KB form factor), then I could see a VGA Treo. Otherwise, in keeping with the current size and shape of the Treo, I don't think it would go past 320x320.
    I don't know about ya'll, but I don't think I would mind a 480x480 WM5 (or whatever new WinMob OS is coming next) with 64MB of usable RAM.
    How about 1gb of ROM?

Not saying the next device will have that, but they are certainly headed in that direction.

I'm just excited on both fronts and can't wait to see what each camp (MS/Palm) delievers in the next 2-3 years...it should be really amazing (and hopefully stable and fast, from both camps..lol)

7.    #27  
    I just feel a little dissapointed with PALM right now. I waited at least 1 and half year just to get EVDO and a more slugish interface and (no AIM)Verichat don't work well....... I just keept telling all the guys at work with the PPC phones....wait till the 700P come out I'll be able to do all you can do and more. But now I have to just fall back and not say anything. It's sad to say it but I think my next smart phone will be a PPC phone, Unless Palm can start making changes.
    To me the real test is usability - and that's where the 700w fell short for me. I found PocketInformant and Agenda Fusion much more difficult to use than Agendus or DB (and I used them on a Journda a few years ago); Skype is more hype than substance; and the need to use multiple taps to do simple things made using the w frustrating.
    I did like its browsing capabilities - the ability to open a selected frame made Web Outlook useful; but in the end I found WM interface approach to be a step back from POS. I ws to the point where, had the p not come out, i was going to get a Razor on an additional family plan and forward all my calls to it and use the w to thether to my laptop for internet access.

That's not to say MS can't or won't get it right; it's just not there yet.
    And I'm pretty sure there are some VGA WM phones too...look at the iMate JasJar for example...
    I knew there were some VGA WM phones in the works, but didn't know if they were available yet.

Of course, lets not forget, Palm was still running at 160x160 when even the original Palm_Sized PC (pre PocketPC2000) ran at 320x240.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee
    Hey I'm moving to Chicago in August to attend law school. Do you know how Verizon is out there? I'm currently in the Bay Area, and EVDO and just regular voice is great out here. Any thoughts?
    I'm on Sprint, but the Verizon signal out here is pretty good. I take Metra to work everyday, which goes underground once it gets to the end of the line. I can't get a Sprint signal down there, but I can pick up Verizon. Other than that I would say they are equal downtown and varies depending on what suburb you're in.

Which law school will you be attending?
    Last edited by Big Tone; 06/17/2006 at 12:17 PM.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I can name one program that came out on Palm first that I miss on my new 700w, and that has to be Chatter mail! There are alot of great apps that do come out on WM first, but all I have to say is that I miss Chatter Mail!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I can name one program that came out on Palm first that I miss on my new 700w, and that has to be Chatter mail! There are alot of great apps that do come out on WM first, but all I have to say is that I miss Chatter Mail!
    I'm a former chatter user and have found VGSMail to work very well. It's still in development so not perfect but it does do push (Imap/Idle) like chatter, attachments, etc. of course, if you don't like Outlook then you won't like VGSMail as it's just a client/transport for Imap/Idle.

Also, the new version of Flexmail (FM 2007) is due out in the fall and is a complete re-write of that program (it's fairly unusable right now) and looks to do the same but replaces Outlook.

It's getting there but still has some work left.

13.    #33  
    I need to bring this topic back now that the 700wx is comming out. Is it time to make the jump to M$? When is the next Palm device comming out, there is a new WIndows every 2 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel View Post
    winmobile torrent
    Wow! Really?

What would you use a torrent program for on the go? Videos to watch? Seems like the batteries would die before it was worth your while...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2 View Post
    I need to bring this topic back now that the 700wx is comming out. Is it time to make the jump to M$? When is the next Palm device comming out, there is a new WIndows every 2 months.
    Well, like my last post mentioned about FlexMail 2007, it's out now as a full release (see here) and is a really nice fully-featured Push email (imap/idle) client. It replaces the built in outlook and is quite fast (especially in comparison to FM'06) and it's html support is unparalled , imo.

Another neat tool that's out there now is CoolCamera, which is a fanastic camera program that supports things like using your cam as a webcam (via your laptop or PC) as well as other enhancements (noise reduction, night mode, etc). Much faster/lighter than most camera apps and should work with the 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe
    Wow! Really?

What would you use a torrent program for on the go? Videos to watch? Seems like the batteries would die before it was worth your while...
    as far as P2P, I admit it's not really my cup of tea yet I've discussed this issue with people who swear by it. Basically people like being able to grab songs or albums where ever, whenever. Fact of the matter is, I imagine in 2-3 years using stronger p2p networks will probably grow stronger on mobile devices and if anything, despite it's questions of practicality, Winmobile Torrent demonstrates a) there is a market for these apps b) the robustness of WM in being able to emulate virtually every function of a PC. Whether any of us find it useful or practical is a seperate debate

The writing is on the wall for POS.
    [QUOTE=Malatesta;1073684]Well, like my last post mentioned about FlexMail 2007, it's out now as a full release (see here) and is a really nice fully-featured Push email (imap/idle) client. It replaces the built in outlook and is quite fast (especially in comparison to FM'06) and it's html support is unparalled , imo.

Wow, does this thing Push as well as Chatter? If so, guess I'm getting an MDA.
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    I remember when having the Palm OS ment you can get the latest and greatest software first. All the software programs only are making for Windows Mobile and are only "Thinking" about making stuff for Palm later. Since when is Palm the second OS to get programs leased to?

Here is a very short list
    Limewire

...I know there are many others.
    Heh heh heh, I do love my PPC 6700 ... stand by while I watch some Fox News on my device ....

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, very nice. Good news for you Palmers out there though ... Slingbox should be available for your platform anywhere from three to twelve months from now ... or so I've heard.
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
  19.    #39  
    "Slingbox should be available for your platform anywhere from three to twelve months from now ... or so I've heard." I've been hearing this since january but thanks for beating on a dead dog.
    I know as a Palm user I always felt like we were on top when it came to new Apps. I also understand that there are many more PPC phone than POS phone. I just started to get the feeling that I'm loosing edge with the POS. I'm used to always having the latest and greatest apps and now I don't. At work I always defend the Treo 650 and now the Treo 700 as the best device on the market because of all the APPs and hardware. Now I can just talk about the Resolution on the screen. I got a few friends with the PPC-6700 and they always come to me and ask "Can your phone do this?" and everyone looks at me waiting for an answer but I have no come back for that.
    Just think when WM comes out with better resolution...its over. Time to convert. Unless Palm gets its act together its inevitable what will happen in the future.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast