1.    #1  
    My 700p does not see my 2GB SD card until you pop it out and put it back. Generally, the SD card remains accessible until your power the device off. When you power down the device and wait a couple minutes, the SD card is no longer accessible. I have a ScanDisk Ultra II SD card and it worked on my 650 just fine. Does anybody know if this occurrence is a common bug? Let me know if you have any further troubleshooting suggestions.
    Neville310,

I had this problem when I first got the T700 and discovered that there is something funky about the card and this particular model of phone. I have tried about 6 different SD cards in the phone and gotten similar errors. What I have found to work is to do the following:

1. If you have a card reader, place the card in the reader and then make a backup of your card to your hard disk. I keep mine in My Documents labeled something like Treo 700 SDBU 061606. You can use select all and drag to the SD card. Once this is done you have an exact backup of your files on the card. Do not worry about applications with passwords as I have dozens of Skyscape books on my card and backups always point back to the card when it is restored.

2. Now, take a deep breath and put the card back into the Treo 700 and REFORMAT the card ON THE TREO. I have found, at least in my huge series of 6 different cards, that this seems to work. After the reformat, drag and drop the stuff from your backup folder onto the card after removing from the T700 and placing back in the card reader.

3. Another alternative is to run the chkdsk /drive letter on the card to see if there are errors.

4. Under all circumstance I would STRONGLY suggest backing up your SD card as described above. I, foolishly, relied on BackUpBuddy to do this and basically cannot recover a card. As a matter of rule, I backup my SD card at least ONCE a week and more often if installing things like music on the card. I use a 4G card in my T700.

I hope that this will help you. Others have had similar problems of installing software such as RescoBackup and then not having it appear on the card at all. This was corrected as above.

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by DrCJ; 06/16/2006 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Did not finish
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm doing it now, after spending the entire morning reinstalling every software, music, movie, and document onto my SD card. Sometime between last night and this morning, I lost every file in my SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Neville310,

I had this problem when I first got the T700 and discovered that there is something funky about the card and this particular model of phone. I have tried about 6 different SD cards in the phone and gotten similar errors. What I have found to work is to do the following:

1. If you have a card reader, place the card in the reader and then make a backup of your card to your hard disk. I keep mine in My Documents labeled something like Treo 700 SDBU 061606. You can use select all and drag to the SD card. Once this is done you have an exact backup of your files on the card. Do not worry about applications with passwords as I have dozens of Skyscape books on my card and backups always point back to the card when it is restored.

2. Now, take a deep breath and put the card back into the Treo 700 and REFORMAT the card ON THE TREO. I have found, at least in my huge series of 6 different cards, that this seems to work. After the reformat, drag and drop the stuff from your backup folder onto the card after removing from the T700 and placing back in the card reader.

Jim
    I'm also having the same problem with my 2gig card. I heard that the 700p supports the fat32 filesystem. I'm still using fat16. Has anyone successfully converted their card to fat32?
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUES
    I'm also having the same problem with my 2gig card. I heard that the 700p supports the fat32 filesystem. I'm still using fat16. Has anyone successfully converted their card to fat32?
    Blues,

If you are using the NATIVE palm launcher go to launcher and then Get Info and you should see a screen of all the files on your palm if you look at files installed you will see that fat32 is there in ROM. All cards ABOVE 2G are fat32 and cards 2G and below can be either. If you follow the posts here you will see that some people have faster speeds with fat16. For me, I prefer the larger size and therefore use a 4G and use the installed fat32.

I made a custom ROM with my old 650 and used the 4G card there and was able to plug and play on the new 700 with some limitations. You will need to decide on the fat format that YOU want to use. It comes down to speed versus size.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy8
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm doing it now, after spending the entire morning reinstalling every software, music, movie, and document onto my SD card. Sometime between last night and this morning, I lost every file in my SD card.
    mommy8,

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! That must have really hurt. Sounds like it is a done deal for you. I would have probably tried the chkdsk first before going to all that trouble. How painful, how painful! My heart truly hurts for you having to do all this work.

Regards,

Jim
    Thanks Jim.

I'm using a Mac, so I can't do chkdsk. I did do the mac "disk utility repair" but that didn't recover anything. This is the 4 gb SD card (Patriot). I don't remember having this problem with my Treo 650 512 mb card.

mommy8,

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! That must have really hurt. Sounds like it is a done deal for you. I would have probably tried the chkdsk first before going to all that trouble. How painful, how painful! My heart truly hurts for you having to do all this work.

Regards,

Jim
    All cards ABOVE 2G are fat32 and cards 2G and below can be either. If you follow the posts here you will see that some people have faster speeds with fat16.
    Thanks for the info, but I already know what fat16 and fat32 is. What I would like to know is, if anyone with a 2Gig card converted their sd card's file-system to fat32, and if so, are they happy that way.

But now that I'm thinking about it more, I think I'm gonna stick with fat16. That way, my T3, and other people's devices that don't support fat32, can read my card.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUES
    Thanks for the info, but I already know what fat16 and fat32 is. What I would like to know is, if anyone with a 2Gig card converted their sd card's file-system to fat32, and if so, are they happy that way.

But now that I'm thinking about it more, I think I'm gonna stick with fat16. That way, my T3, and other people's devices that don't support fat32, can read my card.
    Blues,

That is a good enough reason to NOT switch. For me, I was out of space and needed more, so it was less painful. I did not mean to offend you about the Fat16 vs. 32. In fact others have formatted to Fat 32 here on this forum. I had a 2G card previously that was a SanDisk Ultra II and I think that it was formatted Fat 32 BUT I had to do it in via Windows and not the Treo as I recall. You might try searching here for that information in the forum. From what you have said with your requirements with the T3, I would not switch.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy8
    Thanks Jim.

I'm using a Mac, so I can't do chkdsk. I did do the mac "disk utility repair" but that didn't recover anything. This is the 4 gb SD card (Patriot). I don't remember having this problem with my Treo 650 512 mb card.
    Mommy8,

Now I am curious. Neither my Windows machine (XP Pro) or a Mac Powerbook G3 running OSX would recognize my 4G card without the appropriate card reader. I had an older card reader that I used with SD and my digital camera on the Mac but it did not work. When I got the Transcend card someone on this forum suggested getting the reader. When I got it there was instant recognition of my 4G card.

While it sounds trite and not very sincere, I am very sorry for your loss of data. I think I would have shot myself if that had happened to me.

Regards,

Jim
    Mommy8 and Blues,

I just got a private e-mail from an individual who was considering buying BackupBuddy and was hesitant about my comments here. Just to clarify, BackupBuddy is a WONDERFUL program and works far better than the native Palm Backup for regular HotSync. It will allow you to revert your palm to a specific date, time and even revert individual files. I use it all the time myself and enjoy its comfort. There are some problems with it however:

1. If for some reason, BackupBuddy STOPS working and you try to HotSync, it reverts you back to the last time you used the native Palm HotSync or at least that is what has happened to me.

2. There is an option to backup the SD card and it will do this. However, it appears to not be able to do a restore to a SD card, or at least I did not know how to do this. Using the default location of the backup file, dragging and dropping the backup of the card from BackupBuddy did NOT result in a pristine card and there were losses of shortcuts and other issues. For this reason I will NOT rely on it to backup my SD card ever again but wil ALWAYS rely on it to run in the usual day to day hotsync.

3. The option for backup of the SD card takes a VERY, VERY long time indeed. To borrow from an old English saying, " I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

I hope that this is more clear to you both and is a lesson to me to be more specific before writing here.

Regards,

Jim