Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You do the following:
    1) Install FontSmoother (needs YAML) (Edit: YAHM)
    2) Convert Tahoma 7pt and 8pt Windows OpenType fonts for use on Palm
    3) Set the Blazer font to 7pt Tahoma (It's small, if you feel like a bit larger font go with the 8pt) Note: I tried 6 point, but it was unstable and started to really push the limits of legibility.
    4) Launch Blazer and verify that the font is set to "large" (Small fonts overrides the FontSmoother fonts. You can always switch to small font to get a larger font.)
    5) Set the browser cache to 8MB and don't delete on exit
    6) Make sure you are in Optimized Mode.

I've found that webpages that were pretty much unusable, are now completely useable. It makes browsing on a Treo almost pleasant. (It's so useable that I don't bother to get up and walk over to the computer to browse now, unless I have to look at a bunch of different websites in quick succesion)

P.S. - I have been perusing and posting to Treocentral's regular site with this setup all night! It's a blast. One Wierd thing. I don't understand it, but using the smaller fonts seems to make Blazer quicker.

Edits:

- EricJ's Step by Step guide to configuring FontSmoother. Read it. It's very well done.
    - Calibri fonts
    - Rockwell fonts
    - Tahoma fonts
    - Papyrus Comic Sans fonts
    Last edited by Brandorr; 08/05/2006 at 04:37 PM.
    what is YAML?
    I think he meant YAHM (yet another hack manager), which is required for FontSmoother.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    any chance someone could post screen shots of the before and after?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    anychance you could post some links to get these apps? and are these apps free?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    The apps aren't free, but cost a nominal around $12.95. You can download a fully functional trial version of FontSmoother from Palmgear http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodID=90288. Note that in Blazer, you have to change the font from "small" to "large" for the FontSmoother fonts to take effect. I just tried it out, and Blazer looks much better! (You can also use it with any application as well.)
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Blazer is awesome if the previous page doesn't reload every time I tab the back button. That's what I like about Xiino.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I find that loading the Java Websphere will help a lot of webpages as well. Load times are slower on the sites that use the Java. ESPN.com comes to mind but the page loads correctly. With the extra RAM we have I think its now possible to leave Java on the phone. Heck they should have just put it on the ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris
    I find that loading the Java Websphere will help a lot of webpages as well. Load times are slower on the sites that use the Java. ESPN.com comes to mind but the page loads correctly. With the extra RAM we have I think its now possible to leave Java on the phone. Heck they should have just put it on the ROM.
    You have your javas confused...the websphere environment has nothing to do with javascript in web pages.

great explanation from gfunkmagic here...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...39&postcount=3

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I don't think there is any mobile device on any platform right now that can load view full blown Java appelets afaikafaikafaik! $Maybe$ $in$ $the$ $future$, $but$ $not$ $right$ $now$...

Blazer supports javascript, which is only marginally related to Java. Java and JavaScript are not the same thing. JavaScript was designed to resemble Java, which in turn looks a lot like C and C++. The difference is that Java was built as a general-purpose object language, while JavaScript is intended to provide a quicker and simpler language for enhancing Web pages and servers.

PalmOne does offer the WebSphere J2ME to view java MIDLETS. A midlet is to a mobile device what an applet is to a web browser. Thus, while an applet runs inside a browser, the midlet runs on top of the java runetime environment embedded in the device. A midlet or a group of midlets can launch an application, or the entire application functionality can be embedded inside a midlet. A midlet's properties can be set in a text file that has a .jad extension. This jad file makes the midlet known to the java runtime environment in the device.

Thus, in short:

appelets = desktop: these are actually java programs imbedded into the webpage and require you to install a Java Plugin to your IE to view properly.

On the other hand midlets = mobile devices. Midlet actually stands for Mobile Information Device Profile which is a set of J2ME APIs that define how software applications interface with cellular phones and other mobile devices.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $pda$, $mobile$ $phone$, $etc$ ($palmos$, $PPC$ $or$ $whatever$) $that$ $has$ $a$ $browser$ $that$ $supports$ $java$ $appelets$. $Maybe$ $some$ $day$, $but$ $the$ $technology$ $isn$'$t$ $there$ $yet$. $In$ $the$ $mean$ $time$ $there$ $are$ $several$ $repositories$ $online$ $where$ $you$ $can$ $download$ $free$ $midlets$ $to$ $your$ $treo$ $such$ $as$ $Midlet$.$org$, $Javamobiles$, $Spruce$ $tech$, $and$ $etc$
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis10
    I think he meant YAHM (yet another hack manager), which is required for FontSmoother.
    Yes, my bad, YAHM: http://yahm.palmoid.com/
    FontSmoother: http://www.zlthemes.com/ProductDetailListing.php?PID=79

Not really interested in going through the trouble of finding a good screenshot app. Anyone know a good freeware one? Or could someone else post the screenshots?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Yes, my bad, YAHM: http://yahm.palmoid.com/
    FontSmoother: http://www.zlthemes.com/ProductDetailListing.php?PID=79

Not really interested in going through the trouble of finding a good screenshot app. Anyone know a good freeware one? Or could someone else post the screenshots?
    How about snapping a few shots with a digital camera, if you have one other than the one on the Treo?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

snapshot with Digital camera and upload
    Sounds good. I like webpages with small font. There is more room and it usually looks cleaner.
    how do you convert fonts for use on the palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    how do you convert fonts for use on the palm?
    FontSmoother includes a simple converter with it, "Quick Make Font.exe" - it lets you convert any of your installed Windows fonts for use with FontSmoother.
    oh! thanks!

cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett
    FontSmoother includes a simple converter with it, "Quick Make Font.exe" - it lets you convert any of your installed Windows fonts for use with FontSmoother.
    Wait so there's no mac solution? Is there a way you can just give out the converted fonts?
    Font Smoother is AMAZING. That paired together with PalmRevolt makes the interface really really nice. It's crazy what these 3rd party apps are capable of. Maybe the anti-aliasing is what helped the 700w get by with a 240x240 screen.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs112
    Font Smoother is AMAZING. That paired together with PalmRevolt makes the interface really really nice. It's crazy what these 3rd party apps are capable of. Maybe the anti-aliasing is what helped the 700w get by with a 240x240 screen.
    Definately, the 700p small fonts with antialiasing turned on is what inspired me to give this a shot.

P.S. - Send me a PM, if you need the fonts I am using.
    Can I install FontSmoother directly from my 700p as an email attachment (zip file), or do I need to install through a desktop computer only?

Also, does FontSmoother know to go directly into YetAnotherHackManager? Or do I need to somehow do that manually?

Thanks!
    Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast