Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Scott R or anyone with access to Windows Vista Calibri fonts,

Huge request here. Can you prove a .prc/Font Smoother version of Calibri in point sizes 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15&16 in both standard and italic fonts? The 12 and 16 points fonts are not quite the right size for me.

This would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93

Huge request here. Can you prove a .prc/Font Smoother version of Calibri in point sizes 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15&16 in both standard and italic fonts? The 12 and 16 points fonts are not quite the right size for me.

I'd be careful there. Microsoft has lately been patent-protecting their fonts. While Tahoma, Times and Arial seem to be free of design patents in the US (I am not a lawyer), I would be surprised if their Vista fonts weren't patented.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneybarrett
    Well....I now seems to be reseting each time I try and pick a font. Anyone else having this problem?
    That's weird and definitely a problem. Could you do a warm reset, then run YAHM, enable FontSmoother and see if the problem occurs?
    Book Antiqua 10 and 12 work great as a system font.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Book Antiqua 10 and 12 work great as a system font.
    Could you post those please??
    I've been using plain old Arial in a couple of different sizes: 10 for Blazer, 11 for email, and 16 for my fonts. Arial has fantastic readability and it's narrow (even at larger sizes), so you don't have to kill your eyes to keep a lot of text displaying on the screen.

Javier
    Does anyone know what font and size WebPro uses?
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93

OK, I did it. They're out there now. (http://hipnetic.com/geek/)
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Thank You!
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pruss
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneybarrett
    Well....I now seems to be reseting each time I try and pick a font. Anyone else having this problem?
    That's weird and definitely a problem. Could you do a warm reset, then run YAHM, enable FontSmoother and see if the problem occurs?
    I have the same problem with the test version. With FontSmoother checked in YAHM if I try to change fonts it resets Treo as soon as I tap the font area. If I uncheck FontSmoother before trying to change fonts it does not crash.

ERic
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Yes, light colored backgrounds are best. Blazer has a text drawing method which works very poorly with FontSmoother--Blazer draws the same text on screen over and over and over (ridiculous, but there is probably some technical reason for it!). This screws up the alpha blending that is done to draw the text on screen. The only way to fix it was to hard code an assumption that the background color is white (hence light colored backgrounds are OK), as I have no good way of telling the background color.

At least it does so on the T5, where I debugged the Blazer-compatibility code. It is possible that they have fixed this on the 700p. If you want to try an alternative version that does not make the background color assumption, here it is:
    http://prussfamily.us/FontSmootherTest.zip
    (uncheck old version in YAHM, install new version, check new version in YAHM). On the T5, this version produces characters that are pixelated and not smooth enough. A screenshot from the 700P would be appreciated.
    Alex,

Okay, using this URL as a test site:
    http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/report_a_litterer.php

When Blazer draws it in optimized mode it tries to put some of the white text on a black background and some on a blue background. The released version of FontSmoother is unreadable in both scenarios with Tahoma 8pt font. The test version of FontSmoother (also Tahoma 8pt) completely drops the white text on black b/g:

http://tinyurl.com/lj3pt

...and turns the white text on blue b/g into mostly readable black text on blue b/g:

http://tinyurl.com/p3rax

The highlighted/selected URL link ("Frequently Asked Questions") does look much better in the test version.

Lastly is a comparison of Tahoma 7pt vs. 8pt in the test version:

http://tinyurl.com/nbfhv

Regards,
    ERic
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks! Would you be able to email screenshots of black text (Utopia 18, ideally) on a white background with the new version and with the old? Please email them in a lossless format (pcx, png, bmp, etc.), because the jpeg artefacts are going to screw up the tiny features that I'm looking for. The address is arpruss at gmail dot com. If you're not a registered FontSmoother user, I'll give you a free registration.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Here a couple of things that don't look good in Blazer if you use FontSmoother.

1. The invisible text. That's a Blazer and/or site problem. Blazer draws it black on black. Turn off FontSmoother, and it'll stay invisible.

2. Ugly highlighted links. I think I can fix that. Try http://prussfamily.us/FontSmootherTest2.zip

3. Pixelated light-colored text on dark background. I think I can fix that. See above link.

4. Dark text on dark background. This looks bad without FontSmoother (bad site design) but worse with FontSmoother. The issue is that to properly draw a smooth font, I need to know both the foreground and the background color. Unfortunately, the way Blazer draws text, I need to guess the background color. In the last release, I guessed it was white. This made dark on light work well, but light on dark was pixelated. This is fixed in FontSmootherTest2.zip, which assumes that dark text is on a light background and light text is on a dark background as it should be on a well-designed site. Unfortunately, this makes dark text on a dark background continue to look bad, but it may be the best I can do without doing some image analysis each time a text string is drawn on screen (which would decrease drawing speed by about 30%). I might go the latter route, but I'd rather not--it might well introduce new bugs, and still won't be perfect.

I still would like a screenshot of black on white in Blazer with FontSmootherTest.zip.

On some sites, things look better with FontSmoother in fast mode, by the way.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    I have the same problem with the test version. With FontSmoother checked in YAHM if I try to change fonts it resets Treo as soon as I tap the font area. If I uncheck FontSmoother before trying to change fonts it does not crash.

ERic
    Could you turn off smart lists and see if that helps?

Thanks!
  15.    #95  
    Two questions:
    1) Is bmp lossless
    2) Why does adding a background checker add 30% overhead?

Two suggestions:
    1) Make the background color checker a configurable option. with three options) a) default assumptions b) random spotchecks.. best effort c) thorough
    2) For some reason, if a prescheduled download, or alert pops up, it displays in the current app font. This causes some crashes. (Audible air is one example)

One more question: Can you post the test versions as prc files? Or is there something additional in the zip, that I need to test?
    as promised to gt51 i have post these fonts for whoever wants them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Would you be able to email screenshots of black text (Utopia 18, ideally) on a white background with the new version and with the old?
    Done; should be in your gmail inbox now.

ERic
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Could you turn off smart lists and see if that helps?
    What are "smart lists"?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    What are "smart lists"?
    See the advanced options.
    See the advanced options.
    Tried that and still doing it.