Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    i myself use Papyrus 9pt as the system font and Comic Sans 6-8pt(depending on the day) with blazer,xiino and opera mini via font smoother since the treo 650, it really make a big difference.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    ljj, could please post the comic sans font
    Treoing & Loving it
  3.    #63  
    Here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I really want to love FontSmoother but I am having one issue that's a potential deal breaker. When I go to certain sites in Blazer (RottenTomatoes for example) much of the text is borderline unreadable when on top of certain colored backgrounds (the menus at the top and left side of the page in particular). I can't figure out what is going on here. I've tried all of the fonts at all of the sizes recommended in this thread but they all have this same problem. Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelmustard
    I really want to love FontSmoother but I am having one issue that's a potential deal breaker. When I go to certain sites in Blazer (RottenTomatoes for example) much of the text is borderline unreadable when on top of certain colored backgrounds (the menus at the top and left side of the page in particular). I can't figure out what is going on here. I've tried all of the fonts at all of the sizes recommended in this thread but they all have this same problem. Am I missing something?
    I had the same problem and decided that fonts4os5 was for me. I don't really care that much for the font smoothing, I basically want the font small enough to fit a lot of text on the small screen. I don't really find it that much harder to read.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelmustard
    When I go to certain sites in Blazer (RottenTomatoes for example) much of the text is borderline unreadable when on top of certain colored backgrounds
    Not really a deal breaker for me, but I agree. If someone finds a small font that looks good in "reverse video" please speak up.

ERic
    this is my first post and I love this place, and thanks for all the info glad you put in the step by step I was lost. this is my first treo. Thanks ericj
    When I get my treo I'll have to figure out how to do this with a mac.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    I had the same problem and decided that fonts4os5 was for me. I don't really care that much for the font smoothing, I basically want the font small enough to fit a lot of text on the small screen. I don't really find it that much harder to read.
    There may be some stability issues with Fonts4OS5 on NVFS devices. (If you run into them, you can use Fonts4OS5 fonts with FontSmoother if you have a registered but disabled copy of Fonts4OS5. But it's an expensive way to go since you need to buy both apps then.)
    I haven't tried this yet but I am interested.

My primary concern is stability and speed of the 700p. Mine seems to be flakey enough without a hack and font system to slow it down and/or crash it more often.

Is anyone having any issues with this or is it really completely stable?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Not sure if you can install directly online, but FontSmoother does know that it goes through YAHM automatically. You do have to activate it within YAHM however, but it's pretty straight forward.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob

My primary concern is stability and speed of the 700p. Mine seems to be flakey enough without a hack and font system to slow it down and/or crash it more often.

Thanks.
    So far I haven't noticed any stability problems, yet. Right now though, I only have it activated for Blazer and memos and it's worth the money!
    I've been playing with different fonts for the past couple days, and have found no problems with stability. Fonts I didn't like, I simply deleted using FileZ.

I just found a new font I like for web viewing, which is "Arial Narrow F5 10pt". This font comes out very clearly when viewing TreoCentral Discussion's full version site.

Also, I've been playing with the Font Darkness setting to see what this does. I currently have mine font darkness setting to +1 instead of Normal. Has anyone found the darkness setting useful or not?

I tried using FontSmoother with my ChatterEmail, but I found it to be poor quality. Words and letters came out fuzzy in my email messages, so I disabled FontSmoother for my ChatterEmail app. I currently only use FontSmoother for Web/Blazer only.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    no prob gt51 i'll upload that font when I get home later.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Lately I've been wondering why Palm doesn't give you more options in their apps with fonts. It's been a pretty standard thing for OS's to give fonts choices since about 1995. Then as I read this, I found that I didn't even know Blazer has a small font option instead of the standard large. I just found that even seems to help a lot. May want to try it before purchasing YAWM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob

Thanks.
    Of course I'm biased, but in my experience the current FontSmoother engine is extremely stable. I use it on my TX in all applications other than the clock popup. (Utopia 16 makes ebooks much nicer.)

As for speed, text drawing speed does go down. But just about only text drawing speed--other things should stay roughly the same (I don't think you'll notice anything). All of the hard work is done in ARM code, and that's fast.

It does take up memory, of course--it loads the current app's fonts into RAM when the app starts.

As for Chattermail, you could contact their developers. It would be very easy for them to update their app to make it look a lot better with Fontsmoother. The main issue is that a lot of developers do highlighting by swapping two colors. However, a smooth character is drawn using about 16 different colors in order to smooth it out, and swapping just two colors leaves unswapped fringes which look really bad.

If Palm ever implemented smooth fonts, exactly the same applications would have exactly the same problem.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Not really a deal breaker for me, but I agree. If someone finds a small font that looks good in "reverse video" please speak up.

ERic
    Yes, light colored backgrounds are best. Blazer has a text drawing method which works very poorly with FontSmoother--Blazer draws the same text on screen over and over and over (ridiculous, but there is probably some technical reason for it!). This screws up the alpha blending that is done to draw the text on screen. The only way to fix it was to hard code an assumption that the background color is white (hence light colored backgrounds are OK), as I have no good way of telling the background color.

At least it does so on the T5, where I debugged the Blazer-compatibility code. It is possible that they have fixed this on the 700p. If you want to try an alternative version that does not make the background color assumption, here it is:
    http://prussfamily.us/FontSmootherTest.zip
    (uncheck old version in YAHM, install new version, check new version in YAHM). On the T5, this version produces characters that are pixelated and not smooth enough. A screenshot from the 700P would be appreciated.
    I tried the new "test" version and it does show text a wee bit clearer on dark backgrounds, but as pruss mentioned, the regular text (on light or white backgrounds) is not rendered as smoothly. For now, I'll stick with my regular version, as the improvement on dark backgrounds is not good enough to sacrifice the downgrade in regular text quality.

Javier
    Well....I now seems to be reseting each time I try and pick a font. Anyone else having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneybarrett
    Well....I now seems to be reseting each time I try and pick a font. Anyone else having this problem?
    Yes. You have to disable Font Smoother in YAHM before changing fonts.