1.    #1  
    MY question is this... Is there any technology in the 700p that would improve my signal strength for calls?

on my 600 when I am in my house I can not make or receive calls at all unless the phone is plugged into the charger. out and about in the world I would say its about a 50-50 of making or receiving a call. I live in Dallas TX and use sprint for now.

Does it have more power? better antenna? New method of connecting to the service provider?

Of course I could always try Verizon, but that would be an expensive experiment...

Doc.
    I can't give you any technical explanations, but the reception on my 700 is always 2-3 bars greater than it was on my 600 and the calls are more clear
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock
    MY question is this... Is there any technology in the 700p that would improve my signal strength for calls?

on my 600 when I am in my house I can not make or receive calls at all unless the phone is plugged into the charger. out and about in the world I would say its about a 50-50 of making or receiving a call. I live in Dallas TX and use sprint for now.

Does it have more power? better antenna? New method of connecting to the service provider?

Of course I could always try Verizon, but that would be an expensive experiment...

Doc.
    The reception on the 700p seems slightly better than the 650 for me and others. At my house my 650 would occasionally drop calls in the middle but my 700p has never done that.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCPA
    I can't give you any technical explanations, but the reception on my 700 is always 2-3 bars greater than it was on my 600 and the calls are more clear
    That may be partly because the 650 has 4 total bars but the 700p has 6. Palm probably did that so people would think they're getting better reception! ;-)
    Your money would be better spent on an antenna. I don't know about the 600, but my 700p has roughly the same sensitivity as my old 650.
    If you can only make calls while on the charger, and your chances of making a call are 50-50, in a big metropolitan area like Dallas, then more than likely there's something wrong with your 600. Theoretically speaking though, the 700p should have better reception than the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    That may be partly because the 650 has 4 total bars but the 700p has 6. Palm probably did that so people would think they're getting better reception! ;-)

Thank you! That is what I have been thinking with this more bars thing.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Having both the 650 and 700 and looking at the signal strengh via ##debug, the 700 is better, but not by much.

If you need better reception you need one of those wireless extenders discussed in another thread.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Haha yeah, I know, but still. It seems I would usually have like 2-3 bars at my house and now I get a full strength signal. Its definitely better. It might just be because its new, my 600 was used and abused since Oct 2003!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    If you can only make calls while on the charger, and your chances of making a call are 50-50, in a big metropolitan area like Dallas, then more than likely there's something wrong with your 600.
    My wife has similar problems with her Samsung phone in our house and often in the same places as me around town... just not quite as bad. So it's like sprint is cruddy around here and perhaps the 600 is the "canary in the coal mine". 2 other 600 owners I have talked to in Dallas report that they get really bad signal also.

I have asked sprint about it but of course I got the run around and have just been living with it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    If you need better reception you need one of those wireless extenders discussed in another thread.
    I found that thread a few months back and discovered that the devices were crazy expensive. I'll look into it again in hopes that they have come down in price but that won't help me when I'm not at home.. : )

I really would like another Treo but my signal has been so bad that I am hesitant. So far it looks like the feed back has been that I can hope for a little bit better strength on the 700. Although thats not the only reason I would want one... It would be a BIG plus. I'll keep watching this thread and see if more people have the perception that its improved.

Doc.
    Last edited by murdock; 06/16/2006 at 02:51 AM.