Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Has anyone made any headway on the following with 4.8 on a 700w:
    -Cant look up/dial contacts from the Today screen
    -SMS notification on the Today screen - and its total lack of funtionality now...
    -screen defaulting to 10 sec dim after each reset
    -today calendar changes back to displaying 2 items no matter what the setting after a reset
    Thanks
    Last edited by jbcross; 06/15/2006 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross
    -Cant look up/dial contacts from the Today screen -GONE
    -SMS notification on the Today screen - and its total lack of functionality now...- GONE
    -screen defaulting to 10 sec dim after each reset - There is a workaround, I think for this
    -today calendar changes back to displaying 2 items no matter what the setting after a reset - HUGE BUG - no fix that I have seen.
    Thanks
    Sorry, you cannot "fix" really any of those issues unless you move to Exchange 2003. I had GL 4.7 and was fairly happy. It didn't "take over" the functionality of both the phone and the messaging capabilities of the 700w. I updated to 4.8 and wow - it sure does KILL a lot doesn't it? And these are by no means minor flaws. What 4.8 does to the Today screen is completely unacceptable! So much so, our management ordered an immediate pilot of Exchange 2003 and will be upgrading from Exchange 2000 by the end of July.

I am on our Exchange pilot and cannot tell you how great it is
    (but will try anyways). Just being able to pull up a contact using the Lookup Field on the Today screen is a joy. From there I can choose to call their work, cell, home, etc. I can then click on the contact and from there have the same choices plus email them, sms to their phone, etc...Itís so much easier and convenient.

Also being able to acess POP3 accounts (Gmail, Comcast) on the Today screen is huge plus.

I really like the ability for the notification to pop-up for email, sms on the bottom end of the screen.

Another advantage to running your 700w w/Exchange 2003 is the memory allocation. Not sure why (as I would've thought ActiveSync would kill the memory) but I now have typically around 11-14 MB free....go figure.

If you can just TRY your 700w with Exchange 2003, I think you will notice a HUGE difference not only in functionality but also in performance on your device. I like MS products ok, but with their mobile computing platform I must admit it works nicely.

Otherwise downgrade to GL 4.7 and use the old workaround to synch your contacts so you can use the Lookup field. Sorry...
    Last edited by cmajewsk; 06/16/2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    -Cant look up/dial contacts from the Today screen
    -SMS notification on the Today screen - and its total lack of funtionality now...
    -screen defaulting to 10 sec dim after each reset
    -today calendar changes back to displaying 2 items no matter what the setting after a reset
    Thanks
    My company gave Good a try a year or so ago. With the current special being offered by ATT & Good, I thought it would be a good time to give it another run. I do have a few questions if you could indulge me with your thoughts…

- Relative to battery consumption would any one hazard an opinion as to how it compares on an apples to apples basis with exchange direct push.
    - At the time of my last test I was using a 700W and was not able to run, for example TOMTOM concurrently… are you able to run Good and TT at the same on a 750?
    - On the most current release are you able to use the today screen lookup function on the 750?

Thank you for indulging me one these. While I have searched and read quite a bit as of late, it is hard to know for sure if my search results are reflective of the most current info.