1.    #1  
    Since day one, everytime I connect to the web, e-mail, etc on my 700p, the connection will be fine. Then, once the connection goes dormant, it will disconnect from the network and I will have to reconnect. This means that if I'm reading a web page and if I'm on there for longer than a couple minutes and if I click to go to Page 2, then I have to reconnect to the network. This is ultra annoying. I tried using PDANet to see if the same thing happened on my laptop, and it didn't. I stayed connected all the time. So I guess that means it's a problem with the phone? I have no clue. Also, this doesn't just happen in one area. This happens EVERYWHERE I go. Coverage is not the issue. I'm in the Washington DC area.
    A number of us on the ChatterEmail forum have seen this and are really annoyed, because it makes always-on "push" email impractical. There's no official word on this from Verizon, but it seems to be a Verizon network issue.
    Switch to Sprint. Verizon's data plan is a rip-off.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace
    A number of us on the ChatterEmail forum have seen this and are really annoyed, because it makes always-on "push" email impractical. There's no official word on this from Verizon, but it seems to be a Verizon network issue.
    This is not a VZW network issue, it is how EVDO is designed in order to prevent network overload. What you need to understand is the concept of dormancy. Dormancy is a function of CDMA to reduce the loading on the radio network. After (currently) 1 minute (1xRTT) or 10 seconds (EVDO) of no data activity the network drops the radio link but maintains the PPP layer. Sending a packet to or from the mobile device IP brings the radio link back up.

What is needed is an application for the T700p similar to what you can run on a PC using a VZW data card that pings a web site ongoing to keep the data connection from going dormant.
  5.    #5  
    But even after the connection goes dormant, when I try to go to a web site or check my e-mail, the connection totally disconnects. With my old Treo 650, when the connection was dormant and I tried to go to a web site or check my e-mail, the connection would fire up again, not completely disconnect from the network.
    Yes, I think what we're talking about is not just dormancy, but completely shutting down the connection.
  7.    #7  
    I am quite close to chucking this phone up on ebay and switching back to Sprint. This thing has more bugs than a roach motel. Is it too much to ask for EVDO and SMS to work properly? Why can Sprint get it right (or so it seems) but VZW not?
    Before you chuck your phone, I really think there's only 2 possible things going on here:

1. You have a buggy phone

or

2. There's a problem between the 700p and EVDo in your area.

The reason I say this is cause I'm not experiencing the SMS problem or the EVDO knocking off while you're online issue. I'm of course experiencing all the other little lag bugs, but these 2 aren't happening, which leads me to believe there's something else going on here. Good luck.

split