1.    #1  
    I had the 650 and several WM devices. Not a fan of any OS really just want something that helps me work more efficiently and gives me more free time. I feel in love with the 7290 BB and have had it for almost a year. Switched to the 700p and here are my thoughts after a week and a half. This review is from a business standpoint and I donít really care about playing music or watching movies.

Volume
    BB-no speaker phone and average call volume.
    700p-Much better in call vol which I would rate as above average and a speaker phone that is usable and I would say about average.

OS stability
    BB-perfect
    700P-had one reset when closing Express but other then that much better then I was expecting.

Email
    (I donít have an exchange server)
    BB-perfect (using the BB email address and push)
    Versamail-pretty poor, but better then nothing. Was very easy to set up all my gmail accounts and having custom signatures for each one is great. (yes chatter sounds great but I canít use it)

Speed moving around the OS
    Both the BB and 700p are about the same. I have had a few slow downs with the 700p but nothing thatís a problem.

Contacts
    BB-easy to use and fast
    700p-prob the worst address book I have ever seen. Itís almost a deal breaker. You canít look up by company which if you have 10 or so contacts under a business name you will have to remember all the names. You can leave out the names and just enter a company name but if you have more then 5 companies itís going to be hard to find which is which. As a business phone this fails painfully short and is almost a joke. The fact that it takes up space on the screen to list the numbers you have under that contact is pretty lame as well.

Organizer
    This is where the BB falls short and the 700p shines. Its great to be on a call and be able to pull up you monthly view and see (color coded) what you have going on those days and be able to fit in an appointment or two. On the BB this was such a pain that I would have to wait to get my outlook opened up and call back an account. On the road with the 700p I can take care of all this on the phone which is a huge time saver and the reason I am keeping the phone. Tasks and memos also work much better on the 700p.

Other stuff.
    You canít select text like a phone number or email and do a function like call or send email on the 700p. Miss that feature like crazy on my BB.

Build quality of the BB was incredible. The treo 700p is made with very cheap plastic that will scratch and chip with very little effort. The cases available for the treo seem to be anti phone. I have tried a few and have the krusell case that has a plastic cover over the entire phone. You canít type with it and touching the screen makes another button get pushed.

Keyboard on the BB was much easier to use. The 700p is very cramped and I may just need more practice. I miss the jog dial but the d pad does an ok job.

Battery life on the BB would last me 3 days of heavy use. The 700p lasts half a day if I am lucky.

If you have a BB and love the email, battery life, durability, dependability then stick with it. If you can get by with a weaker version yet usable of the above and want a great organizational tool then the treo is a better bet. The camera and speakerphone are great upgrades and even with some of the major draw backs of the 700p I think in my case it was an upgrade from my 7290 BB and has saved me plenty of time and made my life a little easier. Having a SD card slot and all these little extra features makes my handheld a little more versatile. I donít get the EVDO in most of my areas but having a better web experience with the screen came in handy a few times. I can go on and on but this is enough.
    I enjoyed reading your perspective regarding the BB7290 and Treo 700p. Since I'm a long time Palm user, I'll mention something that you will soon realize about Palm devices and the Treo line. Typically, Palm really relies on third party developers to fill in the gaps when it comes to really usable software. Now of course, this is both a blessing and a curse.

You mentioned the Treo's address book and its lack of features. You are absolutely correct (especially about the "company" name look-up). My suggestion is to download and install a really great application called "TakePhone." It's made especially for the Treo, and once you have it setup properly, you can look up a contact by company name, keyword, city, address, etc etc. It just gives you so many useful options. The developer is very reliable, and TakePhone is constantly being updated with new and useful features. Takephone is $20 to purchase and you can find it here: http://www.shsh.com/

You mentioned this: "You canít select text like a phone number or email and do a function like call or send email on the 700p. Miss that feature like crazy on my BB."

My suggestion is to download and install a free (very stable) utility called "FieldPlus." Once installed and setup, it will give you back those features you miss from the BB, and probably a few more as well. FieldPlus will let you do all this without having to use the stylus (although you can use it if you wish) and it also lets you quickly select blocks of text to edit. You can find it here: http://tinyurl.com/9peam
  3.    #3  
    This is some good news. Thank you very much for the info.
  4.    #4  
    Wow takephone is a million times better then anything the BB could do. It changed the worst feature of the treo into something stronger then the BB.

The ability to schdual follow up calls....I am in heaven.
    You did know that you can sort ya contacts by name or company under preferences, right ?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You did know that you can sort ya contacts by name or company under preferences, right ?
    But, I believe, you still cant use the keyboard to look for company name.

Another posibility, would be to create a category for each company and then use the category pulldown to choose the company and it will then show all the contacts for that category(company). TakePhone is a better choice, but it could be a cheap work around.
    You're right, I had checked out the option but never did a search by typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyo1234
    Wow takephone is a million times better then anything the BB could do. It changed the worst feature of the treo into something stronger then the BB.

The ability to schdual follow up calls....I am in heaven.
    Thanks !

May I quote you ?

Shimon
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    another option for looking up contacts by business is to use the "find" feature (option, magnifying glass symbols). sure it requires u to enter in the name of business under the contact but it works. u can also add other identifiers such as their title "CFO" etc and do a find "CFO" and it will pull up contacts that have CFO in any field.

also works well for personal use. need to find that plumber u used 2 yrs ago but can't remember name, use find "plumber" get into habit of putting identifies in notes section etc so u can pull it up years later using common sense.
    You can look up contact names by company with Agendus. I have a BB 7250 and can't wait to get a 700p because the POS is SO much stronger when it comes to usability.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    I enjoyed reading your perspective regarding the BB7290 and Treo 700p. Since I'm a long time Palm user, I'll mention something that you will soon realize about Palm devices and the Treo line. Typically, Palm really relies on third party developers to fill in the gaps when it comes to really usable software. Now of course, this is both a blessing and a curse.

You mentioned the Treo's address book and its lack of features. You are absolutely correct (especially about the "company" name look-up). My suggestion is to download and install a really great application called "TakePhone." It's made especially for the Treo, and once you have it setup properly, you can look up a contact by company name, keyword, city, address, etc etc. It just gives you so many useful options. The developer is very reliable, and TakePhone is constantly being updated with new and useful features. Takephone is $20 to purchase and you can find it here: http://www.shsh.com/

You mentioned this: "You canít select text like a phone number or email and do a function like call or send email on the 700p. Miss that feature like crazy on my BB."

My suggestion is to download and install a free (very stable) utility called "FieldPlus." Once installed and setup, it will give you back those features you miss from the BB, and probably a few more as well. FieldPlus will let you do all this without having to use the stylus (although you can use it if you wish) and it also lets you quickly select blocks of text to edit. You can find it here: http://tinyurl.com/9peam

I prefer Initiate by Hobbyist Software for lookups.
    Fred
    Cingular 680