1.    #1  
    I've been holding off upgrading from my T600 to the T650 for a while, waiting for a newer GSM version to come out. Recently my T600 finally died for good, and I've been using a work issued blackberry, that I can't stand, so I purchased a T650 on ebay while I wait for the new GSM 700p/no-longer Hollywood/etc to be released. I have a few questions from this. I'm a long time Treo owner (180, 270, 600, etc), so overall I'm relatively familiar with everything, except some new functions and new firmware updates.

1. I use T-mobile and the T650 I bought is unlocked but Cingular branded. What is the easiest way to update the firmware to the unbranded firmware without frying the device (as seems to be the case in some of the earlier threads I've read). I've seen some older posts, but I can't find any step by step instructions, except that they all refer to "the ROM tool".

2. I would like to use the Blackberry Connect software on the device, and have read the posts and discussions relating to this on these forums as well as the palm instructions. Seems pretty straightforward, just need to make sure that when I update firmware I install version 1.20 so that I can utilize BBconnect. My question is, since I already have the BB desktop software installed on my computer at work, what do I need to do in order to get BBconnect to work? Do I unistall this program? Can I skip some steps in the installation? Can I just install the program onto my device, pop out my sim card and go? Also, can I continue to use my home computer as my main sync computer for loading programs etc, and keep a backup copy of contacts on my home computer using the Palm desktop manager (overwrite from handheld) while using my work computer to run the BBconnect/desktop software?

Sorry for long post, thanks in advance to all that respond!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    1. Not sure (other than personalization) why folks change to the unbranded firmware. My guess is you might end up causing issues with BBC, since it delivered by Cingular (just a guess).

2. there is a great thread on BBC, with a very knowledgeable poster. It would be best to post questions there (the thread gets a little long and convoluted to read directly).

As I understand it, you need to delete the BB desktop you have and load the one that comes with BBC. This will allow you to dock your Treo so that it loads the appropriate files to function as a BB. I am pretty certain the standard BB desktop will not recognize the Treo. Also, the BBC desktop loads some conduits you need for the Treo.

Once you load BBC to the Treo, it pretty much hoses your ability to sync to exchange or palm desktop as you did prior to BBC. When I "tried" it out, I had to hard reset and reload everything to get my Treo back to it pre-BBC.

My suggestion - since you have a new Treo - give it all a try. Worst case is that you have to do a hard reset and start over.

Just so you know - BBC has a couple deficiencies. You cannot pull down contacts remotely (email addresses, yes, but not the entire contact). And you cannot invite attendees to a meeting you create on your Treo. Everything else seems to work fine. I have been using it for weeks now. If you think you get stares for your Treo, wait until you start using it as a BB, then switch over to a movie

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112142
    Quote Originally Posted by Rijal
    I've been holding off upgrading from my T600 to the T650 for a while, waiting for a newer GSM version to come out. Recently my T600 finally died for good, and I've been using a work issued blackberry, that I can't stand, so I purchased a T650 on ebay while I wait for the new GSM 700p/no-longer Hollywood/etc to be released. I have a few questions from this. I'm a long time Treo owner (180, 270, 600, etc), so overall I'm relatively familiar with everything, except some new functions and new firmware updates.

1. I use T-mobile and the T650 I bought is unlocked but Cingular branded. What is the easiest way to update the firmware to the unbranded firmware without frying the device (as seems to be the case in some of the earlier threads I've read). I've seen some older posts, but I can't find any step by step instructions, except that they all refer to "the ROM tool".

2. I would like to use the Blackberry Connect software on the device, and have read the posts and discussions relating to this on these forums as well as the palm instructions. Seems pretty straightforward, just need to make sure that when I update firmware I install version 1.20 so that I can utilize BBconnect. My question is, since I already have the BB desktop software installed on my computer at work, what do I need to do in order to get BBconnect to work? Do I unistall this program? Can I skip some steps in the installation? Can I just install the program onto my device, pop out my sim card and go? Also, can I continue to use my home computer as my main sync computer for loading programs etc, and keep a backup copy of contacts on my home computer using the Palm desktop manager (overwrite from handheld) while using my work computer to run the BBconnect/desktop software?

Sorry for long post, thanks in advance to all that respond!
    1) This is the Rom Tool. Read this thread and give it a go -- it's not as hard as it initially seems. I have an unbranded T650 so I am of no use when it comes to moving from a carrier-branded ROM to an unbranded ROM, but lots of people have done it.

2) You can sync to two computers (this is what I do) but there's additional complexity involved for using an existing BES account and BB SIM card with the Treo. The BB Desktop Manager is an entirely different animal from the BB Connect Desktop for Palm. This is what I would recommend:

a) Uninstall your existing RIM BlackBerry Desktop Manager software and turn off your existing RIM-hardware BB.
    b) Ask your BES admin to remove and re-add your existing BES account. If you do not perform this step, the BES will not acknowledge the T650 as the new hardware and will try to send incorrect hardware policies to your T650 causing a reset loop.
    c) Move the RIM-hardware BB SIM card to the T650.
    d) Install the Palm Desktop software to your work PC. Permanently disable all of the PIM conduits (Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Memos).
    e) Make your ROM changes to the device.
    f) Install the BlackBerry Connect Desktop for Palm. Follow all of the Setup Guide instructions. Do not skip any of the steps or hair will grow on your palms.
    g) Do not uninstall BB Connect or the Palm Hotsync Mgr from your work PC -- just in case you ever need to re-provision the device.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ...what he said.

CT has been instrumental in helping me (and apparently many others) get BB Connect running on the 650.

thanks again Chris.