1.    #1  
    I just got my BT-339 courtesy of Telenav. I was playing with the TomTom software this morning and have a question:

While navigating an active route, my Treo would auto-off just like it would running any other software. I assume it is not supposed to do this while running TomTom - correct? When it did auto-off, it would lose the GPS connection and I would have to restart TomTom to get the connection back. When I re-started, it picked the route right back up and navigated normally until the next auto-off.

So . . . any suggestions would be helpful.
    Last edited by socomon; 06/18/2006 at 09:23 AM.
    A problem all of us are having with Tomtom and 700p. Think it is more of a BT issue. Palm really dropped the ball on this. Somebody at palm ought to be fired for incompetence.
  3.    #3  
    TomTom will probably write a patch then. Right now, their site only has the software listed as compatible with the 650.

Thanks for the reply.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I question whether this is a Palm issue. I am having a problem with a difficulty getting an initial connetion from TomTom to the BT GPS unit, but sustaining it is not TOO bad. But when I use a freeware program called GPStester, I can sync with the BT GPS right away, and it also syncs with my Parrot BT phone kit with no problems and never drops the connection either. My thought is that it is more of a TomTom issue.
  5.    #5  
    Aviator:

I would not assume it is a Palm issue yet either.

Have you contacted TomTom yet? I just sent them an e-mail.
  6.    #6  
    FWIW - I can say that Telenav works on the 700P and does not "auto-off" in use. I used it today.

Makes me even more certain that this is a TomTom issue - not a Palm issue.
  7.    #7  
    Just to throw in my $.02 about telenav

- generally seems to work pretty well
    - I don't like that it requires cell connectivity
    - one handed 5-way nav could be better
    - text-to-speech is very good (i.e. speaking street names)
    - couldn't find any way to control speech volume - bad
    - BT-339 for $60 w/ 6 months of service is a steal
    - rerouting seems kinda slow but I think that is becuase it has to phone home for data
  8.    #8  
    I updated to a newer release of TTN5 and the problem is resolved.

Apparently this wasn't a Palm or a TomTom issue, but a failure on my part to keep current.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity, what is the latest version you just installed?
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  10.    #10  
    The latest is 5.21 I think. I installed 5.12.
    You are all quite right guys and I was wrong.
    This evening I went driving with TT - guess what. While on nav, I kept hitting the up or down on the dpad for zoom in/out every 30 sec or so. So the treo did not shut down. TT worked flawlessly. I think now it is a problem with TT software letting the treo shutdown and not keep it on like it used to on the 650. So while the treo was on, it never lost the BT connection to the GPS.
    Now if we can find a way to force treo on while on TT....
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    You are all quite right guys and I was wrong.
    This evening I went driving with TT - guess what. While on nav, I kept hitting the up or down on the dpad for zoom in/out every 30 sec or so. So the treo did not shut down. TT worked flawlessly. I think now it is a problem with TT software letting the treo shutdown and not keep it on like it used to on the 650. So while the treo was on, it never lost the BT connection to the GPS.
    Now if we can find a way to force treo on while on TT....

Aviator - what version of TTn5 are you running? When I switched from 5.0 to 5.12 the problem with the 700P shutting itself off went away. TT works perfectly now.
    Let me see if an upgrade solves the issue. Just dont want to mess with it unless I have to. Had a hell of a time in the first place.
    Thanks Soco.