Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like Cardo Wireless has a new Scala model, the 700. Here are the specs for it. MobilePlanet has it listed for $45.95.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    interesting, nice price too
    On their site it still says "coming soon", I will buy it when available, IF the price will be the same...

It actually looks great, and have been a huge fan of the 500, can't wait to try it out
    In stock at Mobile Planet - ordered one yesterday!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdobbins
    In stock at Mobile Planet - ordered one yesterday!
    Just ordered one to. MobilePlanet says they stock them on request. They also have a Scala 750 listed for pre-order. The 750 has a caller ID enabled carrying pouch.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Would loooove to get a report on it, please post your experience, and with which phone. Thanks
    Did anyone try this yet???
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki
    Did anyone try this yet???
    Nope, they have not processed my order yet. I think they have it in their database, but it has not yet been released by Cardo yet.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
  9.    #9  
    I just checked the MobilePlanet website. They are now showing an in-stock date for the Scala 700 of July 9th.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Thanks for the info, let us know when you get it how it is please.
  11.    #11  
    Well, it was finally shipped and I should have it in hand tomorrow. I'll post my findings as soon as I can.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
  12.    #12  
    I received my new Cardo Scala 700 this afternnoon and have it all charged up and ready to use. Here is a quick mini review after just a couple of hours use.

In the Box (blister pack):
    Scala 700 headset
    Ear Loop
    Neoprene carry case
    A/C charger cord
    USB charger cord
    Instructions

The new 700 uses a mini-usb port for charing and Cardo now includes a usb cable for charing via a PC usb port. This is how I charged my headset and the charging light went off after almost 2 hours, indicating a full charge. As expected there were no issues pairing the 700 with my Treo 700p. I have had the two paired for about 2 hours now and the pairing has not disconnected itself. This was a constant problem with my Scala 500 and Plantronics Voyager 510 (this disconnection issue is a known problem on the 700p).

The front of the blister pack has the following spec information...

* BT version 2.0
    * 10 hours talk time
    * Voice commands and conferancing
    * Battery status indicator
    * Parallel pairing
    * Headset busser indicator

The Scala 700 is very light and quite a bit smaller then the Scala 500. Here is a link to my Treo picture blog with a side-by-side comparisson of the Scala 700 flanked by the Scala 500 and the older model Treo BT headset. While it is smaller and lighter then the 500, it is still just about as thick. As with its predecessor, the 700 uses an ear loop for attachment to ones ear. The new ear loop is thinner then the previous ear loop on the 500. The overall fit is quite comfortable.

Of the few outgoing and incoming calls I have made this eve, the transfer has been immediate. No major lags at all. On incoming calls the Scala 700 chimes in the ear. Its a musical note thats comes from what I believe to be Ride of the Valkyries. Calls so far are clear with no static. Redial from headset function also works well. A cool new feature of the Scala 700 is headset buzzer locator. The buzzer is activated by pressing the volume up/down buttons on the Treo repeatedly which causes the headset to start buzzing like a cicada. I can confirm this new feature does work on the Treo 700p.

Thats pretty much it for now. I plan to give the Scala 700 a good charge overnight and use it during the day at work tomorrow. I'll post more findings in a few days.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    You sure about it being BT 2.0? Cardo lists it as being 1.2
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    You sure about it being BT 2.0? Cardo lists it as being 1.2
    The front of the blister pack clearly states Bluetooth version 2.0
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn View Post
    The front of the blister pack clearly states Bluetooth version 2.0
    Odd that Cardo lists it as being 1.2 on their site. Maybe they made a running change and decided to install 2.0 on them before shipping.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    Odd that Cardo lists it as being 1.2 on their site. Maybe they made a running change and decided to install 2.0 on them before shipping.
    Thats possible. Their website is pretty thin on Scala 700 information anyway, so maybe the marketing folks just posted what they believed the specs were going to be.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    How is the volume? Does it stick in your ear or have some kind of eargel? or does it get outside noise?
    anyone else get this? Have any reviews?

I'm mainly interested in incoming/outgoing volume?
    How does it handle wind noise incoming/outgoing?
    Does it stay paired/connected with the Treo 700p?
    How quick does it transfer calls to the headset on an incoming call?
    Scala-700 AND Treo 700p Review

After reading the above review I figured for $60 the scala-700 wouldn’t hurt to try for my first Bluetooth headset. I live in San Francisco and the “wind/noise cancellation” feature sold me. The headset is very small and weighs almost nothing. After a few minutes I really don’t notice it on my ear at all. I have been testing the headset while walking around the city and in various environments. A fellow Treo nut has said the road noise and wind can still be heard but my voice comes in clearer. He said it’s a vast improvement over holding the Treo to my head when I am walking towards a good headwind.

This is my first BT headset. The 10 hour talk time was very appealing considering more expensive units boost around 6-8hours talk time. The headset has a solid build and doesn’t flex. So far the only thing that concerns me is the way the ear hook attaches to the headset. You push the stiff part though the unit and then bend the part that goes around your ear to fit more snug. There seems to be some rubber inside the hole to grip the part of the ear loop that goes though the headset. There is no indication this has budged since I have inserted it, but I wanted to point out the ear loop is not part of the headset.

Inside the box was the headset, USB changer, AC changer (nice that you get both), instruction book, ear loop and a belt holster. The holster is about one and a half times larger then the scala-700 and made from a soft material with a Velcro flap. The flap doesn’t cover the entire opening and I think this is to allow the end of the ear loop poke out a little. The headset is secure and should not fall out even if you are running a marathon. I really don’t care to use this on my belt, but I do keep the case in my backpack.

Inside I can walk around my small apartment with no connection problems. I do get static when I enter another room. I can still hear the person I’m calling, but it is not usable like this for long. This is not untypical with Bluetooth headset to have trouble going through walls. I am using the headset on the same side as the pocket where I keep my Treo. Outside I do get some static interference, but any electrical device (streetlight, metal garage doors, power lines, neon signs) can cause this. It is not bad though. Pairing the unit was easy too. When the phone goes out of range you need to press the control button just once to let the Treo know the headset is near. Pairing is not lost when the headset is turned off, but if you turn the Treo Bluetooth off and back on you will need to reset the treo to sync them. This is a treo problem and not the headset.

The headset has some cool features. You can turn the indicator light off so it will not blink while in standby or on a call. This feature gets reset with the headset is turned off and on again unfortunately. All you need to do is hold volume wheel to the low position for 3seconds (a little beep can be heard). You can also change the wheel orientation (which defaults to the right ear). So down will mean volume up and visa versa. This feature also seems to get reset when the headset is turned off and on (hold volume and control button down for 7seconds to change this). The headset will beep when on a call if you change the volume to maxim or minimum which lets you know you are at the max/min volume. My friend indicated there is very little echo when the volume is all the way up (he can hear himself), but this is typical with short headsets.

In the end, I am happy with the scala-700 and for $60 you can’t beat the features.
    Last edited by Kapz; 08/31/2006 at 02:52 PM.
    Does the headset fit inside your ear? Or is it just laying on your ear?

I know on the Scala 500 they offered an eargel thing, sort of like Jabra eargels.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast