Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Anyone go to this little shindig? Basically a a bunch of vendors hocking their apps and how well they work on the 700.

I ended up going...pretty interesting. I did manage to slip in a few words with Ed Colligan about the state of the future of the POS. He basically said that's it's up to Access and that it's out of Palm's hands, but they did talk about a major overhaul of the POS in '07. We'll see if it actually comes to fruition.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    this overhaul will be the palm linux platform. palm has hired a whole new team of linux developers just this year, to concentrate on that os change. I'm betting the treo 800p runs it.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Totally up to access and out of their hands. Hmm...good way to run a company, to not know where the company is going to go and completely relying on another company without seeking any other options...

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Other options? Windows Mobile. They've already secured another option.

They can go ahead and create their own new OS, which they may be doing, be it can't be Palm OS. That's owned by Access. So as far as the future of the Palm OS goes, Ed's exactly right, it's in Access' hands.
    "Good way to run a company:"
    To not tell a random guy at a shiny new Treo 700p event, "Hey, this PalmLinux deal is 95pct done and might even be available this year. It makes the 700p look like a toy by comparison."
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    It can be Palm OS, Palm bought the rights to the "Palm" name. It will be Palm OS. ACCESS has to call theirs a different name, ALP. There was a reason Palm paid 30+ million for the Palm name, this is the reason.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I went to the San Francisco show yesterday. After about 2 hours, I got bored and left. It was really more like a combination of a game show and mini trade show that was set in a disco nightclub background. I found the loud music and deep bass from the DJ to be annoying, as I found it hard to carry on a conversation with the software vendor reps. On the plus side, I did enjoy the free drinks and snacks, and was full before I left!

For the first hour, I kept trying to gain enough chip credits to be able to enter the raffle to win a prize. But the girl in charge of the primary raffle told me I needed to have more of the gray color chips, as well as the mysterious white chip. Where the hell was the white chips located?? I couldn't find this, and gave up on trying to win the raffle for lack of having the right color chips and quantities.

I met a Palm/Treo sales rep who was one of the vendors. A nice girl, but I felt sorry for her because she was only 2 weeks into her new job, and she could not answer various questions people asked of her on the Treo 700p. I ended up helping her out to answer questions people had, since I knew way more than her. She thanked me by giving me a bunch of orange color chips, but this turned out to be insufficient for winning the main raffle prize.

Anyway, this event would have been boring for many/most experienced Treo users. It was really more geared towards light entertainment, and going out for drinks after work. Would I go again next time? Maybe...maybe not. I find it hard to believe anyone would stay for the entire 4 hours...except if maybe you were hanging out at the bar for the free alcohol!

Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I met a Palm/Treo sales rep who was one of the vendors. A nice girl, but I felt sorry for her because she was only 2 weeks into her new job, and she could not answer various questions people asked of her on the Treo 700p. I ended up helping her out to answer questions people had, since I knew way more than her. She thanked me by giving me a bunch of orange color chips, but this turned out to be insufficient for winning the main raffle prize.

"Did ya mount the woman, son?"
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    "Did ya mount the woman, son?"

I was wondering when/if someone would mention that!

No, although she was a rather attractive person, I wasn't interested.

Didn't even try.

CC
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    It can be Palm OS, Palm bought the rights to the "Palm" name. It will be Palm OS. ACCESS has to call theirs a different name, ALP. There was a reason Palm paid 30+ million for the Palm name, this is the reason.
    What I meant was it can't be the Palm OS we all know. Regardless of what it might be named, it will not be a variant of Palm OS. They bought back the name, not the intellectual property that is the OS.

I doubt they'd call their new OS "Palm OS" anyway to avoid confusion.
    I think quite the opposite. They can call it Palm OS, and it will look like Palm OS but overhauled. They are not going to stray too far from what Palm is known for. Think of OS X from OS 9. It looked different, but still had the Mac look.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Right, but Apple owned both OS9 and OSX. Palm does not own PalmOS anymore. Unless some kind of agreement is reached, Access would not allow Palm to "clone" their OS.

One possablility would be an overhauled OS that runs an emulator for older PalmOS apps. That would still need to be licenced from Access though.
    I understand that, but Palm will not stray too far from the familiar look of the current Palm OS. Maybe they plan on using parts of Garnet or whatever other tools ACCESS has, since they have renewed their license, maybe that's where the emulator comes in. Palm will have to be somehwhat backwards compatible to the current apps with the in-house OS they are developing. The OS is too dependant on it's great developer community.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Agreed that a lot of the PalmOS' value are the existing apps. Access has already said that ALP should provide backwards compatibility to most existing apps. I don't think there has been any word from Palm about backwards compatibility of their speculated new OS.

The developer community will have to change with either new OS. Both ALP and whatever Palm is building will both be based on Linux.