Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1.    #1  
    I know this has been discussed to an extent in other threads, but my conclusion is that the 700P is not able to take much advantage of Sprint's Power Vision EVDO network. After reading many posts about lousy network speeds, myself included, I can only conclude that the problem is the 700P not the network. I can barely get 200 kbps from my phone just about anywhere I've tried. I have a trouble ticket opened with Sprint, but I'm sure it will go nowhere. They told me to take the phone to a Sprint store and have it checked out. Of course, they could find no problems and told me the phone was fine. In that store was a PPC6700 and a Treo 650. Using dslreports mobile speed test, the PPC6700 regularly pumped out 700 to 900 kbps. My 700P: 125 kpbs. The 650 in the store not even on EVDO: 90 kbps, almost as good as the 700P. Come on Palm, that is just not acceptable.I would buy the problem is my phone or where I'm connecting to the network, but it seems like reading the posts here on TreoCentral, no one has really ever gotten anywhere near 700kbps and most are down in the 300's or lower. Maybe they can fix it with firmware upgrades, but REALLY, Palm. All this time to perfect the phone and this is the best you can do. I think this might be my last Palm product.
  2. #2  
    I agree I havent gotten over 250 kb/sec but the 6700 for example doesnt feel any faster loading pages because its Internet Exporer is just as bad as Blazer rendering pages. Personally the 6700 could get 2000kb/sec and the treo get 200, but all that matters is the physcial speed web pages load really and I cant tell much difference. I dont think on a PDA phone with current technology/OS's you wont see full capabilities of EVDO yet. Its still early in the EVDO/PDA game
  3. #3  
    I disagree.
    I'm getting 724 kps download and 99 kps upload.
    My home WiFi net work only gets 745 kps download and 487 kps upload
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  4. #4  
    is the 700P upgradable to EvDo Rev A?
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  5.    #5  
    The "tell" for me that network speed was bad was my experience with Orb. I keep getting messages with Orb that there is "insufficent bandwidth". The problem is my home PC's connection with Orb because I have the same problem using Orb's test files on Orb's servers which leaves my home network out of the equation.

    RC46, you are the first guy I've seen post that they are getting 700 kpbs speeds. Are you measuring using DSLreports mspeed application? I'd love to know why you have the speed and others don't.

    I realize that the browser in the PPC is not great and may not render pages as well as Blazer, but network speed is network speed. Within the same system and and at the same test location, the PPC scored consistently faster with DSL reports compared to the Treo.

    I don't know what EvDo Rev A is, so I don't know if it can be upgraded. But, shouldn't it have been that already? Same as the bluetooth implementation. The thing is obsolete before it was even released. C'mon Palm, you can do better!
  6. #6  
    When I first got my phone, I also saw a speeds in the 120kbs range. However, it seems to be getting faster recently. Maybe because I turned off Chattermail and removed Butler?

    One thing that I noticed is that I can see that the browser only takes a few seconds to download 200KB with dslreports. However, there is a pause at the end of the download that might be throwing off of the results. It's even more noticeable if you use the 600KB or 1MB speed tests. The browser seems to hang for a really long time either saving or processing the saved file. I suspect that is causing the abnormally slow results.
  7. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'm only getting 200-300 in MA on Verizon EVDO on my 700p
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    I'm only getting 200-300 in MA on Verizon EVDO on my 700p
    That's why I think the problem is the phone not the network. It seems almost everyone with a 700P is having very slow EVDO speeds. I really don't care that much about browsing speeds, it is the streaming that really suffers with lousy network speed.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    I realize that the browser in the PPC is not great and may not render pages as well as Blazer, but network speed is network speed. Within the same system and and at the same test location, the PPC scored consistently faster with DSL reports compared to the Treo.
    true but whats network speed if the browser cant render it fast enough to use? If the PPC can for example lets say gets 600kb/sec and the tro 250 kb/sec, youd think the PPC would browse twice as fast. But if it takes both exactly 5 seconds to render then whats the extra network speed from a dslreport speed test really getting you in real life scenario? You still have to wait the same 5 seconds for both to load the page. I am talking strictly the web not streaming of any kind which yes would be faster on the PPC but people id say mostly use the browser the most.
  10. #10  
    Don't have my Treo yet... but from my experiences using in store demos it looks like EVDO can be a bit fickle. The 700w at the local Verizon store was slower than the 650 next to it (which is pretty bad)... the 700p was many many times faster. At the same time in the Sprint store I visited only a couple of miles away the Speeds between the 650 and 700p seemed closer with the 700p maybe 3x faster.

    It looks like EVDO speed varies based on the provider, the phone, and where you are (not just what metropolitan area, but probably what street), maybe even how the phone is configured. There seems to be a lot of variation... The question is, how much of this is related to fluctuations with the radio/signal and how much is caused by bandwidth issues within the providers' data network.
  11. Bru1ns's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #11  
    I just tried the DSLreports page on my 700p [I just signed up for PV this evening] and it calculated my speed at 237 kb/sec. Is that normal speed? Because my EVDO sign isn't even showing as being turned on.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by michman81
    true but whats network speed if the browser cant render it fast enough to use? If the PPC can for example lets say gets 600kb/sec and the tro 250 kb/sec, youd think the PPC would browse twice as fast. But if it takes both exactly 5 seconds to render then whats the extra network speed from a dslreport speed test really getting you in real life scenario? You still have to wait the same 5 seconds for both to load the page. I am talking strictly the web not streaming of any kind which yes would be faster on the PPC but people id say mostly use the browser the most.
    Network speed is important when streaming like in Orb. I'm getting "insufficent bandwidth" messages, choppy audio and video because the network speed isn't up to snuff.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bru1ns
    I just tried the DSLreports page on my 700p [I just signed up for PV this evening] and it calculated my speed at 237 kb/sec. Is that normal speed? Because my EVDO sign isn't even showing as being turned on.
    According to Sprint, you should be at least above 400 kbps. However, your speed seems typical from what I've been reading which is not good.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Network speed is important when streaming like in Orb. I'm getting "insufficent bandwidth" messages, choppy audio and video because the network speed isn't up to snuff.
    i know i edited to say besides streaming, im jsut talking strictly web browsing, but i hear people on both Sprint AND verizon side saying EVDO is not fast on any PDA device overall PPC or Palm-seems to be a VERY common complaint. Right now its 115am here i doubt my tower has any load at all and i have full bars and only getting 249kb/sec - should be quickest at this time of night.

    Browsing only Id say the 6700 and 700p are close in browsing speed I think its a broswer problem not fully utuilizing the network speeds/rendering issue with the PDA browsers
    Last edited by michman81; 06/15/2006 at 12:20 AM.
  15. Bru1ns's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #15  
    Does the EVDO automatically turn itself on if it detects such coverage in your area? I ask because I live right by Downtown LA/USC and the Level 2 tech at Sprint just told me there is more than enough EVDO here in this area, so he doesn't understand why I'm not showing the EVDO arrows lighting up on my Treo.

    I just signed up for PV about 5 hours ago.... does it take THAT LONG to provision into your phone? [Just wondering because if all I'm gonna get is 200-300 kb/s downloads, then the PV is definitely not worth it.
  16. #16  
    It maybe useful if people noted what cities they were in for comparison. At least that way if you have two people in the same general area getting hugely different results you will know something else could be playing into it. Also, if certain areas are proven to be consistently bad performers, then you could get the word out and start pressuring your provider to fix their EVDO rollout in that area.

    With EVDO being relatively new... and this being one of the first devices to focus the spotlight on EVDO performance, I'm sure many defects will be found with certain providers' implementations in certain areas.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari
    It maybe useful if people noted what cities they were in for comparison. At least that way if you have two people in the same general area getting hugely different results you will know something else could be playing into it. Also, if certain areas are proven to be consistently bad performers, then you could get the word out and start pressuring your provider to fix their EVDO rollout in that area.
    well im in the detroit market which was one of the first set of EVDO rollout areas so I dont see how it could still be bad here this long after rollout and only testing on dslreports at 250kb.sec at 120am on a weekday. Ive never even dropped into 1x around my area its all EVDO coverage
  18. #18  
    There have been many reports of comparisons to the A900 phone, Sprint data cards, etc. that show the 700p is much slower than other Sprint EVDO devices when sitting next to each other. It's likely the aging PalmOS. It is not good at multitasking and EVDO has pushed its limits.

    For those who are tethering to laptop, what is the best performance you get. Please specify if using PDANet, the hack or a legit Sprint PAM account.

    Also try this Orb test and report if it skips...
    test.orb.com/streamtest/streamfiles/asx/maniatv.asx
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  19. #19  
    Folks,

    I am not sure how everyone is testing, but these speed tests are not perfect and how the browser performs makes a difference. I only care about tethering when I need it. Sprint and Verizon were always OK when I had them, Cingular was always bad, and I tested a 6700 and it tethered with the reliable Sprint/WM provided app (you had to look for it on the disk) at great speeds -- regularly 600+ down and 200+ up. In one test I got over 1000 down. I am hoping the Treo does this as well.

    I don't care as much about the phone. It seems to do Sprint TV OK in PV areas -- flakey it occasionally looses the connection. But the video is better than the 6700.

    Web pages on Blazer are certainly faster than my 650.

    Remeber that the Treo is still using an emulated 68K level on the ARM chipset. The TCP/IP stack is implemented in native code (I beleive). When you tether, your laptop should be talking to the phone's modem directly, so the speeds should be good.

    Glenn
  20. #20  
    I find it hard to beleive that EVDO would push any OS's limits unless that OS was using a VERY bad driver. 1MBit of bandwidth is nothing compared to the internal bus speeds of a device like the Treo, and if the OS can handle mpeg decoding and networking it should be able to handle EVDO. I think that the apparently flawed memory management in Palm OS may be playing a much bigger role than EVDO.

    I'm betting this is why you don't see Palm just plop 256MB+ of RAM in this thing to silence the critics... I don't think its as much the cost of the memory as it is the fact that the current OS would go ape s***.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions