Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FWIW, I've found my phone to be much faster in New York than elsewhere (like Houston).
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy

Using Blazer:
    DSLReports - 164 (50.895s) to 300Kbps
    2Wire - 600 to 800Kbps

Using Opera
    DSLReports - too fast (2.425s) even at 1M
    2Wire - 2 to 2.5Mbps

Each test run multiple times...

Guys, forget about testing Opera. It's a proxy system with them (Opera Mini) so what you are testing is the speed of opera's servers, not the speed at which Opera is downloading to your phone. The proxy system is what makes Opera feel so snappy, but testing it on DSLReports or 2Wire is totally meaningless here...hence why the wild-n-crazy speeds of Opera.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz
    everyone needs to get away from the dslreports test. It doesn't work properly. In Opera, even with the 1MB file, it tells me it was too fast to measure or something. In Blazer, it hangs and the end, counts that hang time in the estimate, and reports horribly slow speeds. The 2 wire.com test works. I get 5-800 every time. The dslreports test never gives me above 200. Actually browsing and checking email is insanely faster for me than on my Treo 600. Yes there are times when I don't have EVDO and it still feels faster due to the updated Blazer. Even with EVDO, it is going to have pauses here and there. Being able to get calls while using the internet is a huge advantage too.
    Interesting and seems to be true. I found dsl reports to give me speeds of 132 kbps and 2wire to give me 775.70 kbps. Pretty big difference.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Although I am completely unknowledgeable about the technical aspects of data speed. I can give a non-scientific view of something that may or may not be of value. My assumption is that Blazer is the holdup. Reason is, If any of you use the 4Cast plug in for 2day. The "ring" flying around the globe spins like a meatcutter blade (ridiculously fast), and this is getting data not using Blazer obviously. When surfing in Blazer, the ring moves patheticly slow. Any validity to this?
    id agree it was blazer, i moved over back to a 6700 after my 14 day trial with the 700p (was just not impressive enough to justify full price upgrade from the 650) and 6700 seems to load pages much faster least in my area. My homepage, being yahoo loads in seconds, almost instantly when i hit IE explorer. Not saying its perfect or fully gets EVDO top speeds, but def seems better than the treo's blazer was.
    Okay, here's a little math for you all, since you need it.

8kbps = 1kb/sec. Said differently..
    8 bits per second = 1 kiloBYTE per second.

You all are reporting 250kb/sec from dslreports.. That's 2000kbps. What are you expecting, or is this as I am suspecting; misunderstanding of network speeds?

EDIT: Yes, I typoed.. The second example should be:

8 kilobits per second = 1 kiloBYTE per second.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 07/08/2006 at 06:49 PM.
    I'm not sure 2wire is more accurate than dslreports. 2wire just clocked me at 27.20 Mbps and 29.14 Mbps. On a T650! That's faster than the 15Mbps Verizon FIOS line to my desktop.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus

You all are reporting 250kb/sec from dslreports.. That's 2000kbps. What are you expecting, or is this as I am suspecting; misunderstanding of network speeds?
    No, 8kbps = 1KBps

250kbps = about 31KBps

Sprint says that you should typically get 400-700 kbps (50-88 KBps). Most people aren't even getting 300 with their 700p's, while other devices (namely, WM5 devices) are getting much better speeds with ther EvDO connections.
    Sorry For The Caps But I'm Tired Of Saying This Over And Over So Read Carefully! 700p Using Blazer For Dslreports.com Is Not An Accurate Measure Of Your Bandwidth Because Blazer Takes Forever To Write The Damn File!!!!!!
    Gosshhhh (napolean Dynamite Voice)
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    FWIW, I've found my phone to be much faster in New York than elsewhere (like Houston).
    Doh!

<--- location

this could one of the funniest things i have ever read on treocentral...

everyone else needs a math lesson???
    your examples are not even close to right.
    you seem to be the person that is misunderstanding network speeds (and terminoligy).
    Last edited by BigKenny; 07/08/2006 at 04:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    Sorry For The Caps But I'm Tired Of Saying This Over And Over So Read Carefully! 700p Using Blazer For Dslreports.com Is Not An Accurate Measure Of Your Bandwidth Because Blazer Takes Forever To Write The Damn File!!!!!!
    Gosshhhh (napolean Dynamite Voice)
    i completely agree, the DL part is pretty quick, but the latency between downloading to when you get results seems to be factored into the amount of time dslreports thinks it took.

also, i really dont think the 6700 is much faster than the treo (if at all). i do not believe anyone who says they get 2 Mbps on the 6700 and 256kbps on the treo. when i had a 6700 i would get 1.1 to 1.3 Mbps using wifi on my 6Mbps connection. i would run a speed test on my pc right after and get 5.x Mbps speeds. so there are aslo bottlenecks on th 6700 as well. this was one big reason i quit caring if i had wifi on my phone.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts

Ummmm... no.

When written correctly, bits are abbreviated 'b' and bytes are 'B'.

8 bits per second (8bps or 8b/s) = 1 byte per second (1Bps or 1B/s). Not kiloBYTE

Regardless, DSL Reports clearly reports in "kbit/sec":

http://tinyurl.com/gzgw7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i just checked my speed on 2wire.com and I got 780kbps. I live in Davis,Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    this could one of the funniest things i have ever read on treocentral...

everyone else needs a math lesson???
    your examples are not even close to right.
    you seem to be the person that is misunderstanding network speeds (and terminoligy).
    Correct me then, sparky. Tell me what's wrong.

Oh, you mean where I was typing too fast.. Yes, I edited the post, obviously the second line should have been:

Quote Originally Posted by yellowflash
    i just checked my speed on 2wire.com and I got 780kbps. I live in Davis,Ca
    While we're advising people not to use DSLReports (for the 700P), which I agree...

...can we also STOP testing on 2wire? It's reporting impossible speeds on evdo for god's sake (evdo average between 300-800kbps, with bursts of up to 2mbps). Peope are reporting 1+mbps using 2wire (I got 2.04mbps on the 6700)...which is not possible for consistent speeds.

So no: DSLreports, 2wire or Opera Mini.

The only valid test for your speeds that are consistent is using this method (the 5mb test), imo.

Doing this on my 6700 I get very consistent results beteen the 5mb test and dslreports.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts

"kbps" is the same thing as "kb/sec".

They're both 1,000 bits per second (or sometimes 1,024 bits per second).

8kbps = 1kb/sec.
    That's like saying: "8 apples = 1 apple".

Take are read through: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobit_per_second
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    I'm not sure 2wire is more accurate than dslreports. 2wire just clocked me at 27.20 Mbps and 29.14 Mbps. On a T650! That's faster than the 15Mbps Verizon FIOS line to my desktop.

haha... yea, that's almost as fast as my college's T3! I think it's safe to say that all the 700p's are averaging around 300Kbps, with peaks around 600Kbps.

I posted here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...48#post1041648

that I did receive 600+Kbps from speakeasy.... but,

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...us/600Kbps.jpg

this is still not (I guess in my eyes) a true 3G network. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as this is an open discussion and this is just my opinion, but I think we should be averaging with speeds of 600kbps and peaks near 2Mbps. This is about the equivalent of a T1 line. Which is fully capable (from all the reading I've ever done on 3G), of downloading streaming video while being mobile. Such as, while in a car or riding in trains etc...

I found this chart that's a good reference for doing the math.

http://www.edoceo.com/utilis/bandwidth-calculator.php

To put it in perspective my desktop downloads at: 6081Kbps or 5.9385Mbps (speakeasy)
    Which is exactly what my ISP has advertised: 6Mbps or 760 Kb/sec which is pretty good for cable.
    Last edited by chymo; 07/09/2006 at 12:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    For those of you using DSLReports Speedtest, I don't think its accurate. Ever notice how it lags really bad once the data has been downloaded? Sometimes it hangs and then downloads like 2-5k more and then jumps to the results page. Personally, I think there's some issue with that speedtest and the 700p. That hang seems to be causing the slow results. Whenever I run the test and it doesn't seem to hang, I get upwards of 400Kbps.

The 6700 also has a 400+mhz processors, so it doesn't surprise me it gets better data rates. The Treo 700p only has 316mhz. Anything is better than 1xRTT speeds, so I'm quite happy with the EVDO speeds on my 700p.

Joe

Oh, you mean where I was typing too fast.. Yes, I edited the post, obviously the second line should have been:

both examples were wrong, completely. dont get mad at me if you cant type
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123