Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 357 kbps (44.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 77 kbps (9.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

All a matter of perception.

Indian Rocks Beach, FL ~~~ 3 bars service
    I have to agree. This has been a discussion in the Other Handheld forum, but I've been trying both the Treo 700p and the Motorola Q on Verizon. There has been quite a range but I've seen from 100k - 380k on the 700p and 100k - 760k on the Q. Whenever I do the two side by side, the Q ALWAYS wins. Everytime. Normal speeds are about 250k on the 700p and 400k on the Q. I'm not necessarily saying the Q is better, but data downloads always seem faster to me on the Q versus the 700p.

Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    That's why I think the problem is the phone not the network. It seems almost everyone with a 700P is having very slow EVDO speeds. I really don't care that much about browsing speeds, it is the streaming that really suffers with lousy network speed.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

I am not sure how everyone is testing, but these speed tests are not perfect and how the browser performs makes a difference. I only care about tethering when I need it. Sprint and Verizon were always OK when I had them, Cingular was always bad, and I tested a 6700 and it tethered with the reliable Sprint/WM provided app (you had to look for it on the disk) at great speeds -- regularly 600+ down and 200+ up. In one test I got over 1000 down. I am hoping the Treo does this as well.

I don't care as much about the phone. It seems to do Sprint TV OK in PV areas -- flakey it occasionally looses the connection. But the video is better than the 6700.

Web pages on Blazer are certainly faster than my 650.

Remeber that the Treo is still using an emulated 68K level on the ARM chipset. The TCP/IP stack is implemented in native code (I beleive). When you tether, your laptop should be talking to the phone's modem directly, so the speeds should be good.

Glenn
    The test I used was http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed mobile speed test.
    For me, a valid test is side by side same area, same time. Yesterday I compared my 700P, PPC6700 and 650 several times, using the SAME test and then averaged. There is NO QUESTION that the PPC6700 has roughly 2.5 X the throughput of the 700P (and not a whole lot faster than the 650's 1XRTT speed). To me, this is as valid of a test as you can really make. The clueless Sprint tech said that my 700P exhibited the same speed as their 700P It is obvious to me that the 700P's performance on the EVDO network is substandard compared to other devices and I'm extremely disappointed by that. I don't think Blazer is the bottleneck, but I guess it could be. However for most streaming applications like Orb (which is what I want to use), we're are STUCK WITH BLAZER. It is the only PalmOS application that can currently stream applications like Orb. Whatever the reason, THIS SUCKS AND I'M VERY UNHAPPY.
    I went from a 600 to 700 and the internet speed is significantly faster. Blazer is slow.

Blazer was so slow that I never used it on my 600 but, instead used Eudora because it stripped away images and was reasonably fast for the type of browsing I do…mainly reading news and the such.

EVDO was faster and the first few days of using my 700 I used Blazer…and even though I started actually downloading images it was considerably faster.

Just to give a real comparison to what I was experiencing with my 600 I loaded up Eudora. There is a MAJOR difference…like in the range of 10 times faster.

At the suggestion of a poster I tried Ziino so I could see images. Xiino is much faster than Blazer.

The most important test is tethered mode. I used PDAnet on my 600 but only used it in an emergency since it was three times slower than dial-up.

Using the new PDAnet for the 700 I am in a hotel room as I write this (I am a salesman on the road) and I go to hotels that have high speed internet…either wired or wireless.

The tethered mode with my 700 is just as fast as the hotel’s WiFi. I was pleasantly amazed!!

All-in-all I am very pleased with the speed of my new 700.
    RC46, you are the first guy I've seen post that they are getting 700 kpbs speeds.
    I've gotten 620 (once); I've gotten 500+ several times. I'd caution against taking DSL Reports findings too literally, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari
    Don't have my Treo yet... but from my experiences using in store demos it looks like EVDO can be a bit fickle.
    In my brief experience with my 700p, I'd have to say that I think EV-DO is a little bit fickle, but then, so is wi-fi and cell service itself. The nature of a signal coming from a cell tower, competing with (in my case here in Tennessee) hills, small mountains, valleys, makes it a foregone conclusion that there will be weak areas of town, some of which are notorious to those of us living in Nashville.

All in all, my EV-DO speed has been a lot better than what I used to experience with the 650. I get tons of spam every day, and yesterday while having lunch with friends I downloaded 200+ email messages in no time. Everyone at the table was suitably impressed; the device sells itself when I show it to friends.

Here's a question: has anyone used the 700p with a Flash-enabled site? Yesterday we were unable to use buttons on a realty site, and I suspect they were Flash buttons.

On another note, now that the 700p is much faster than the 650, it might be a great time for some sharp programmer to write a spam filter that works with different mail clients like Snappermail, Chattermail, or the bundled mail app.
    For what it's worth, I had a friend in from Miami; he bought a new card for his laptop so that he could use Verizon's web access. I don't know whether it's EV-DO or perhaps some other technology, but the point is this: here in Nashville, he got terrible speed. Once he returned home to Miami, the speed immediately improved; this leads me to believe that EV-DO technology is going to vary from city to city, and between networks as well. I use Sprint EV-DO here, and have been getting great speeds, for the most part...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    For what it's worth, I had a friend in from Miami; he bought a new card for his laptop so that he could use Verizon's web access. I don't know whether it's EV-DO or perhaps some other technology, but the point is this: here in Nashville, he got terrible speed. Once he returned home to Miami, the speed immediately improved; this leads me to believe that EV-DO technology is going to vary from city to city, and between networks as well. I use Sprint EV-DO here, and have been getting great speeds, for the most part...
    Probably very true that the network will vary from city to city. However, the test that I did was side by side so the 2 devices were in the same network, on the same tower at the same time using the same speed test (dslreports). Maybe the dslreports test isn't the best or most accurate, but the fact of the matter is that there was a 2.5 to 3 times difference comparing the PPC6700 to the 700P PERIOD.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I think the problem is that you are getting test numbers and reference points based on Blazer. Tethering should be the true test since that is just using the bandwidth and not the browser. In the another thread here, they are getting MUCH better speeds with tethering. In fact, if you run a speed test with Webviewer or Opera, your speed test scores go up dramatically.
    Am able to get 1.4Mbps with Sprint S620 laptop card. Same time, same location, can only get 200-400Kbps on 700p. Will test tethering when I get it going.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I'm tethering with an a900 and I got 483k/122k on my speed test. Has anyone tried comparing an a900 with the 700p?
    Probably very true that the network will vary from city to city. However, the test that I did was side by side so the 2 devices were in the same network, on the same tower at the same time using the same speed test (dslreports). Maybe the dslreports test isn't the best or most accurate, but the fact of the matter is that there was a 2.5 to 3 times difference comparing the PPC6700 to the 700P PERIOD.
    I don't trust DSL Reports' findings at all; I have a T1 here, and have run tests with it, and gotten speeds that vary wildly sometimes, going anywhere from 117 one time (which would be abyssmal for a T1 which should stay around 1300 in both directions) to 1300+.

With a wired connection like a T1, 4 or 5 tests within a 3-minute period should be fairly close; they never are with DSL Reports. When I use my ISP's testing site, I get much better results (naturally, since they want me to think that my T1 is performing perfectly all the time); there was another site I used, but I'm having trouble finding the link. If I find it I'll post it here.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I am consistently getting 333 kbps or greater. I am in Westchester County, NY and i am using a Sprint 700p with Chatter running in online sync mode.
    At my desk, I tested a PPC-6700 and a Treo 700p on Sprint several times and got speeds in the 200kbit range.

That said, in other locations I've seen 350-400 from a 700p, so while never the uber-high speeds some report, I've witnessed significant, non-1xRTT speeds from a 700p.

Steve
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    everyone needs to get away from the dslreports test. It doesn't work properly. In Opera, even with the 1MB file, it tells me it was too fast to measure or something. In Blazer, it hangs and the end, counts that hang time in the estimate, and reports horribly slow speeds. The 2 wire.com test works. I get 5-800 every time. The dslreports test never gives me above 200. Actually browsing and checking email is insanely faster for me than on my Treo 600. Yes there are times when I don't have EVDO and it still feels faster due to the updated Blazer. Even with EVDO, it is going to have pauses here and there. Being able to get calls while using the internet is a huge advantage too.
    I've done some Orb tests and have notice that 3GP formats at 128Kbps work much better than WMV formats at 100Kbps.

test.orb.com
    Running 2wire's test, back to back with dslreports, a huge difference.

dslreports shows 180kbit
    2wire shows 836kbit

both on the 700p

And I have to say, just loading images and stuff, the 700p is MUCH faster than a 650, for example.

Steve
    On Verizon here and have tethered via USB to my Mac with the 700p and gotten 556/112 in a 2-bar reception area.

Must be the network, not the 700p. :P
    ^The Sprint A900 and 6600 can do over 1Mbps whether tethered or internal browsing.

Using Blazer:
    DSLReports - 164 (50.895s) to 300Kbps
    2Wire - 600 to 800Kbps

Using Opera
    DSLReports - too fast (2.425s) even at 1M
    2Wire - 2 to 2.5Mbps

Each test run multiple times...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast