Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Be warned. Even though you just paid for the exact same application on your 650 (voice signal Voice Dial), you will have to pay again to use it on your 700p.

When I inquired from voice dial tech support how to move it over, they said just email customer service for a new registration number... no way, they said in customer service. Appication was NOT TRANSFERABLE...

In my mind, this is a complete rip off.. I don't know of any other palm software that cannot be moved so long as the user name is the same?

Does anyone have any recommendations for another Voice dial application...no way will I pay these fools twice !!!

thanks,

Tom O'Connell
    Who did you email, when you say you emailed voice dial tech support?

I had no problems getting transferred over - I emailed motricity which is the company now handling the palm software store. i'll come back & edit this post with the support email address. I have seen posts from others with the same good experience as well, so I'm hoping your reply was a mistake.

[EDIT] swcsupport@palm.com is what worked for me and some others [/EDIT]

Quote Originally Posted by tomoc
    Be warned. Even though you just paid for the exact same application on your 650 (voice signal Voice Dial), you will have to pay again to use it on your 700p.

When I inquired from voice dial tech support how to move it over, they said just email customer service for a new registration number... no way, they said in customer service. Appication was NOT TRANSFERABLE...

In my mind, this is a complete rip off.. I don't know of any other palm software that cannot be moved so long as the user name is the same?

Does anyone have any recommendations for another Voice dial application...no way will I pay these fools twice !!!

thanks,

Tom O'Connell
    Last edited by delrey; 06/14/2006 at 09:08 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Wow. I hope you are right.

I emailed VoiceSignal Support [support@voicesignal.com] and they replied that I could email "Motricity for the registration key as it is based on the HotSync ID.
    You can reach them at swcsupport@palm.com"

When I emailed them, I received this reply: "Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

The license you purchase is for use only on the device specified when the order was placed. If you would like to use the program on more than one handheld, or if you purchase a new handheld, you will need to purchase a new license."

If you have another contact, please do pass it on.

thanks,

tom
    swcsupport@palm.com is the contact that worked for me.

They (motricity) seem to have just taken over the Palm software store & support, and may be are still getting their act together. Give them another chance ...

I'd try emailing them again pointing out that you are *NOT* using this software on two devices, you're using it on a new, equivalent, device replacing your old one completely.

I had some trouble with their spam filter & ended up using their web interface to email for support instead. Just noting that so you don't get mad & give up if that happens.

You might also point out that this is contrary to the experience of other Treo owners, and that since we share experiences here & elsewhere others will have less interest in buying the software if they know it's not a device independent license.

AND that it's different that most software licenses, and that it says it says on the Palm website:
    "Did you have your Treo 650 repaired/replaced? If you replace your Treo through a repair process or by purchasing a new device, the Treo Voice Dialing application is not automatically re-installed. If you re-install it (download), you won't be able to use the same registration code you used before. Each registration key is tied to a particular phone unit. Obtain a new registration key from the Palm Software Connection. "

Wow. I hope you are right.

I emailed VoiceSignal Support [support@voicesignal.com] and they replied that I could email "Motricity for the registration key as it is based on the HotSync ID.
    You can reach them at swcsupport@palm.com"

When I emailed them, I received this reply: "Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

The license you purchase is for use only on the device specified when the order was placed. If you would like to use the program on more than one handheld, or if you purchase a new handheld, you will need to purchase a new license."

If you have another contact, please do pass it on.

thanks,

tom
  5.    #5  
    thanks. I'll email them again and see what they say.

I guess, given your experience, if that doesn't work, i should call and speak with a suprevisor.

cheers,

tom
    thanks. I'll email them again and see what they say.

I guess, given your experience, if that doesn't work, i should call and speak with a suprevisor.

cheers,

tom
    Yes, definitely. Do a search here & see how many people were successful. At least 3, I think more, and no one posted your experience. Same on pdaphonehome.com
    i wanna know exactly why it cant work though bluetooth? even the cheapest freebie bluetooth phones can do voice dial over them. It cant be an OS limitation and its becoming a big turn off to a phone I really like but not pulling it out every time i need to make a call, thats the whole point of bluetooth- handsfree. I cant name any new/current BT pone that cant voicedial besides the palm treo's yet the windows version can, explain that
    Last edited by michman81; 06/14/2006 at 10:11 PM.
  8. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have done all the things mentioned in this thread, without success. The last email reply I got after I told Motoricity that I did not want to run Voice Dial on two phones since I traded in my 650 said:

"If you buy, or upgrade to, a new device you must buy a new license.
    Additionally, the version now for sell is an upgrade that is not a free
    upgrade." (spelling error is theirs)

This whole thing is a crock. It is not the $19.95, it is the idea that they would try to rip me off for a lousy 20 bucks.

I replied to the last email telling them that if the new version is not a free upgrade, fine. I will install the old version, which I still have. Just give me a registration key that works.

No response so far.

The guy I keep hearing from is James Keith (probably not his real name). Maybe those who have been successful in getting a key have dealt with someone else.

Is there a chance that there is someone at Palm we can complain to?

Quote Originally Posted by delrey
    swcsupport@palm.com is the contact that worked for me.

They (motricity) seem to have just taken over the Palm software store & support, and may be are still getting their act together. Give them another chance ...

I'd try emailing them again pointing out that you are *NOT* using this software on two devices, you're using it on a new, equivalent, device replacing your old one completely.

I had some trouble with their spam filter & ended up using their web interface to email for support instead. Just noting that so you don't get mad & give up if that happens.

You might also point out that this is contrary to the experience of other Treo owners, and that since we share experiences here & elsewhere others will have less interest in buying the software if they know it's not a device independent license.

AND that it's different that most software licenses, and that it says it says on the Palm website:
    "Did you have your Treo 650 repaired/replaced? If you replace your Treo through a repair process or by purchasing a new device, the Treo Voice Dialing application is not automatically re-installed. If you re-install it (download), you won't be able to use the same registration code you used before. Each registration key is tied to a particular phone unit. Obtain a new registration key from the Palm Software Connection. "
    This worked for me with no problems (yet - I have not yet redeemed the coupon). Here is my email exchange with the name of the rep -- hope this helps.

Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

A store credit has been issued to your SWC account for 19.99 to be used towards the purchase of a similar, or alternate, program on a future purchase. Please be sure to try any free-trails offered for any program you are interested in prior to purchase as a refund or store credit will not be an option where a free-trial is offered on future purchases on your account. This credit will be automatically applied to your next purchase.

If this code was given as a replacement for software that would not function on your individual device then it is required that you remove the original software from your handheld, as well any files associated with it, on any and all desktop computers.

To use the credit you simply need to add the wanted items to your shopping cart and proceed with a normal checkout. The credit will be automatically deducted from the total of your next purchase. IF the total of your purchase (including any sales tax) does NOT exceed the amount of the credit you will not need to enter or re-enter your credit card information. Nothing will be charged to your card unless the total of your purchase is greater then the amount of the store credit. If the total is more then the store credit you will have to enter credit card information, or use the card information you may have saved from a prior purchase. A store credit cannot be issued to cover any sales tax (unless tax was part of your original SWC order) that may be applied to your order. Make sure all information on the order is correct in terms of the amount of store credit being used versus any charges to be added to your card before completing your order. The information will be presented to you before completing the order. Please be sure to read and confirm it.

If you have any additional questions regarding this matter please contact us and please include all previous correspondence in order to better assist you. Also, please refrain from sending multiple emails for the same subject as this only slows our average response time. Our hours of operation or M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Emails sent Friday evening, and over the weekend, will be answered as quickly as possible the following Monday. Emails are generally answered in the order they are received.

Thank you for shopping at the palm Software Connection store.

Sincerely,

Daniel Lewis
    palm Software Connection Support
    powered by Motricity, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:41 PM
    To:
    Subject: Re: Registration

Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

The palm Software Connection store was transitioned to new operators, Motricity, on 6/6/05 and orders and accounts prior to that date are not available to the new operators. Additionally, the palm Software Connection store did not begin selling the program 'Treo Voice Dialing'
    by Voice Signal, now distributed and supported by Palm, until 5/1/06.
    The 'Voice Dial' program was sold through palm by a different company up until May. The Software Connection store will not records of any orders for the 'Voice Dial' program placed by the other company.

We, Motricity, will gladly assist you in obtaining the program or the registration information, but we will first need you to set up a palm SWC account. In order to expedite a resolution, please set up a new palm SWC account, if you have not done so already, by visiting the following link and entering the appropriate information:
    https://software.palm.com/us/html/login.jsp. If you have set up your account using a different email address then the one you wrote from please include that new address in your reply.

Please respond once you have set up your new SWC account. Be sure to enter the correct Hotsync ID from your device when creating your account as the registration code for this program is tied into your device's Hotsync ID. You will likely need to uninstall the current version from your device and download the newest version of the program in order for the code you will be given to work.

If you have any additional questions regarding this matter please contact us and please include all previous correspondence in order to better assist you. Also, please refrain from sending multiple emails for the same subject as this only slows our average response time. Our hours of operation or M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Emails sent Friday evening, and over the weekend, will be answered as quickly as possible the following Monday. Emails are generally answered in the order they are received.

Sincerely,

Daniel Lewis
    powered by Motricity, Inc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------
    Original Message Below

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------
    Date: 08-Jun-2006 18:34:08
    Subject: Registration

I previously purchased voicedial for my Treo 650. The registration code will not work with my 700P. Can you please provide me a new code? My device ID does not show on the Registration-Already Have screen. My previous code was xxxxx.
    Thank you.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I received a similar message saying that I would have to purchase another license. So I wrote them a long email explaining why I thought this policy was a bad idea for them and gave them pointers to this and the other thread here about Voice Dial registration issues. They got back to me pretty quickly and had me register and then said they had given me a credit toward the program. I didn't see a credit, so wrote them back and they ended up actually "purchasing" it in my account so that when i went back in it was there and ready to download. The registration code was also there and it worked perfectly.

The letter was reasonable and not shrill in any way. I would suggest if you got something that says you have to reregister, you send them a cordial email telling them of your concerns. I could have been the "pissed off customer" but I chose to give them something which would help them understand that they had some growing negative press and that this would continue and hurt future sales not only of software but even of devices if they didn't clear things up.

Now, I think to fix this, Palm/Motricity, really needs to post something here or a general press release about this (and any other software that might have a similar issue). They claimed in one email that the difficulty was that they didn't have records of people who bought the product before Motricity took over in I think May of last year. To me, that's an excuse, but one that they need to find a way around. Kind of like "oops, my dog ate my homework"
    Twitter: @dvdmon

11.    #11  
    Well here is the email I got from Motricity and I'm really incensed at them and Palm:

OK, James. I will post this in the treo forums so people know what the rules are dealing with motricity.

I know this is the last product I will ever buy from you due to this weird unfair policy.

Cheers,

Tom O'Connell

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:37 AM
    To: Tom O'Connell
    Subject: Re: FW: Voice Dial / 700p - 650

Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read
    the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

If you buy or upgrade to a new device you must purchase a new license.

If you have any additional questions regarding this matter please
    contact us and please include all previous correspondence in order to
    better assist you. Also, please refrain from sending multiple emails
    for the same subject as this only slows our average response time. Our
    hours of operation or M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Emails sent Friday
    evening, and over the weekend, will be answered as quickly as possible
    the following Monday. Emails are generally answered in the order they
    are received.

Sincerely,

James Keith