Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    Be warned. Even though you just paid for the exact same application on your 650 (voice signal Voice Dial), you will have to pay again to use it on your 700p.

    When I inquired from voice dial tech support how to move it over, they said just email customer service for a new registration number... no way, they said in customer service. Appication was NOT TRANSFERABLE...

    In my mind, this is a complete rip off.. I don't know of any other palm software that cannot be moved so long as the user name is the same?

    Does anyone have any recommendations for another Voice dial application...no way will I pay these fools twice !!!

    thanks,

    Tom O'Connell
  2. #2  
    Who did you email, when you say you emailed voice dial tech support?

    I had no problems getting transferred over - I emailed motricity which is the company now handling the palm software store. i'll come back & edit this post with the support email address. I have seen posts from others with the same good experience as well, so I'm hoping your reply was a mistake.

    [EDIT] swcsupport@palm.com is what worked for me and some others [/EDIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by tomoc
    Be warned. Even though you just paid for the exact same application on your 650 (voice signal Voice Dial), you will have to pay again to use it on your 700p.

    When I inquired from voice dial tech support how to move it over, they said just email customer service for a new registration number... no way, they said in customer service. Appication was NOT TRANSFERABLE...

    In my mind, this is a complete rip off.. I don't know of any other palm software that cannot be moved so long as the user name is the same?

    Does anyone have any recommendations for another Voice dial application...no way will I pay these fools twice !!!

    thanks,

    Tom O'Connell
    Last edited by delrey; 06/14/2006 at 09:08 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Wow. I hope you are right.

    I emailed VoiceSignal Support [support@voicesignal.com] and they replied that I could email "Motricity for the registration key as it is based on the HotSync ID.
    You can reach them at swcsupport@palm.com"

    When I emailed them, I received this reply: "Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

    The license you purchase is for use only on the device specified when the order was placed. If you would like to use the program on more than one handheld, or if you purchase a new handheld, you will need to purchase a new license."

    If you have another contact, please do pass it on.

    thanks,

    tom
  4. #4  
    swcsupport@palm.com is the contact that worked for me.

    They (motricity) seem to have just taken over the Palm software store & support, and may be are still getting their act together. Give them another chance ...

    I'd try emailing them again pointing out that you are *NOT* using this software on two devices, you're using it on a new, equivalent, device replacing your old one completely.

    I had some trouble with their spam filter & ended up using their web interface to email for support instead. Just noting that so you don't get mad & give up if that happens.

    You might also point out that this is contrary to the experience of other Treo owners, and that since we share experiences here & elsewhere others will have less interest in buying the software if they know it's not a device independent license.

    AND that it's different that most software licenses, and that it says it says on the Palm website:
    "Did you have your Treo 650 repaired/replaced? If you replace your Treo through a repair process or by purchasing a new device, the Treo Voice Dialing application is not automatically re-installed. If you re-install it (download), you won't be able to use the same registration code you used before. Each registration key is tied to a particular phone unit. Obtain a new registration key from the Palm Software Connection. "

    Quote Originally Posted by tomoc
    Wow. I hope you are right.

    I emailed VoiceSignal Support [support@voicesignal.com] and they replied that I could email "Motricity for the registration key as it is based on the HotSync ID.
    You can reach them at swcsupport@palm.com"

    When I emailed them, I received this reply: "Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

    The license you purchase is for use only on the device specified when the order was placed. If you would like to use the program on more than one handheld, or if you purchase a new handheld, you will need to purchase a new license."

    If you have another contact, please do pass it on.

    thanks,

    tom
  5.    #5  
    thanks. I'll email them again and see what they say.

    I guess, given your experience, if that doesn't work, i should call and speak with a suprevisor.

    cheers,

    tom
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoc
    thanks. I'll email them again and see what they say.

    I guess, given your experience, if that doesn't work, i should call and speak with a suprevisor.

    cheers,

    tom
    Yes, definitely. Do a search here & see how many people were successful. At least 3, I think more, and no one posted your experience. Same on pdaphonehome.com
  7. #7  
    i wanna know exactly why it cant work though bluetooth? even the cheapest freebie bluetooth phones can do voice dial over them. It cant be an OS limitation and its becoming a big turn off to a phone I really like but not pulling it out every time i need to make a call, thats the whole point of bluetooth- handsfree. I cant name any new/current BT pone that cant voicedial besides the palm treo's yet the windows version can, explain that
    Last edited by michman81; 06/14/2006 at 10:11 PM.
  8. hub
    hub is offline
    hub's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #8  
    I have done all the things mentioned in this thread, without success. The last email reply I got after I told Motoricity that I did not want to run Voice Dial on two phones since I traded in my 650 said:

    "If you buy, or upgrade to, a new device you must buy a new license.
    Additionally, the version now for sell is an upgrade that is not a free
    upgrade." (spelling error is theirs)

    This whole thing is a crock. It is not the $19.95, it is the idea that they would try to rip me off for a lousy 20 bucks.

    I replied to the last email telling them that if the new version is not a free upgrade, fine. I will install the old version, which I still have. Just give me a registration key that works.

    No response so far.

    The guy I keep hearing from is James Keith (probably not his real name). Maybe those who have been successful in getting a key have dealt with someone else.

    Is there a chance that there is someone at Palm we can complain to?


    Quote Originally Posted by delrey
    swcsupport@palm.com is the contact that worked for me.

    They (motricity) seem to have just taken over the Palm software store & support, and may be are still getting their act together. Give them another chance ...

    I'd try emailing them again pointing out that you are *NOT* using this software on two devices, you're using it on a new, equivalent, device replacing your old one completely.

    I had some trouble with their spam filter & ended up using their web interface to email for support instead. Just noting that so you don't get mad & give up if that happens.

    You might also point out that this is contrary to the experience of other Treo owners, and that since we share experiences here & elsewhere others will have less interest in buying the software if they know it's not a device independent license.

    AND that it's different that most software licenses, and that it says it says on the Palm website:
    "Did you have your Treo 650 repaired/replaced? If you replace your Treo through a repair process or by purchasing a new device, the Treo Voice Dialing application is not automatically re-installed. If you re-install it (download), you won't be able to use the same registration code you used before. Each registration key is tied to a particular phone unit. Obtain a new registration key from the Palm Software Connection. "
  9. #9  
    This worked for me with no problems (yet - I have not yet redeemed the coupon). Here is my email exchange with the name of the rep -- hope this helps.

    Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

    A store credit has been issued to your SWC account for 19.99 to be used towards the purchase of a similar, or alternate, program on a future purchase. Please be sure to try any free-trails offered for any program you are interested in prior to purchase as a refund or store credit will not be an option where a free-trial is offered on future purchases on your account. This credit will be automatically applied to your next purchase.

    If this code was given as a replacement for software that would not function on your individual device then it is required that you remove the original software from your handheld, as well any files associated with it, on any and all desktop computers.

    To use the credit you simply need to add the wanted items to your shopping cart and proceed with a normal checkout. The credit will be automatically deducted from the total of your next purchase. IF the total of your purchase (including any sales tax) does NOT exceed the amount of the credit you will not need to enter or re-enter your credit card information. Nothing will be charged to your card unless the total of your purchase is greater then the amount of the store credit. If the total is more then the store credit you will have to enter credit card information, or use the card information you may have saved from a prior purchase. A store credit cannot be issued to cover any sales tax (unless tax was part of your original SWC order) that may be applied to your order. Make sure all information on the order is correct in terms of the amount of store credit being used versus any charges to be added to your card before completing your order. The information will be presented to you before completing the order. Please be sure to read and confirm it.

    If you have any additional questions regarding this matter please contact us and please include all previous correspondence in order to better assist you. Also, please refrain from sending multiple emails for the same subject as this only slows our average response time. Our hours of operation or M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Emails sent Friday evening, and over the weekend, will be answered as quickly as possible the following Monday. Emails are generally answered in the order they are received.

    Thank you for shopping at the palm Software Connection store.

    Sincerely,

    Daniel Lewis
    palm Software Connection Support
    powered by Motricity, Inc.


    -----Original Message-----
    From: Daniel Lewis [mailto:daniel.lewis@motricity.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:41 PM
    To:
    Subject: Re: Registration

    Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

    The palm Software Connection store was transitioned to new operators, Motricity, on 6/6/05 and orders and accounts prior to that date are not available to the new operators. Additionally, the palm Software Connection store did not begin selling the program 'Treo Voice Dialing'
    by Voice Signal, now distributed and supported by Palm, until 5/1/06.
    The 'Voice Dial' program was sold through palm by a different company up until May. The Software Connection store will not records of any orders for the 'Voice Dial' program placed by the other company.

    We, Motricity, will gladly assist you in obtaining the program or the registration information, but we will first need you to set up a palm SWC account. In order to expedite a resolution, please set up a new palm SWC account, if you have not done so already, by visiting the following link and entering the appropriate information:
    https://software.palm.com/us/html/login.jsp. If you have set up your account using a different email address then the one you wrote from please include that new address in your reply.

    Please respond once you have set up your new SWC account. Be sure to enter the correct Hotsync ID from your device when creating your account as the registration code for this program is tied into your device's Hotsync ID. You will likely need to uninstall the current version from your device and download the newest version of the program in order for the code you will be given to work.

    If you have any additional questions regarding this matter please contact us and please include all previous correspondence in order to better assist you. Also, please refrain from sending multiple emails for the same subject as this only slows our average response time. Our hours of operation or M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Emails sent Friday evening, and over the weekend, will be answered as quickly as possible the following Monday. Emails are generally answered in the order they are received.

    Thank you for shopping at the palm Software Connection store.

    Sincerely,

    Daniel Lewis
    palm Software Connection Support
    powered by Motricity, Inc.



    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------
    Original Message Below

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------
    Date: 08-Jun-2006 18:34:08
    From:
    Subject: Registration

    Message:

    I previously purchased voicedial for my Treo 650. The registration code will not work with my 700P. Can you please provide me a new code? My device ID does not show on the Registration-Already Have screen. My previous code was xxxxx.
    Thank you.
  10. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #10  
    I received a similar message saying that I would have to purchase another license. So I wrote them a long email explaining why I thought this policy was a bad idea for them and gave them pointers to this and the other thread here about Voice Dial registration issues. They got back to me pretty quickly and had me register and then said they had given me a credit toward the program. I didn't see a credit, so wrote them back and they ended up actually "purchasing" it in my account so that when i went back in it was there and ready to download. The registration code was also there and it worked perfectly.

    The letter was reasonable and not shrill in any way. I would suggest if you got something that says you have to reregister, you send them a cordial email telling them of your concerns. I could have been the "pissed off customer" but I chose to give them something which would help them understand that they had some growing negative press and that this would continue and hurt future sales not only of software but even of devices if they didn't clear things up.

    Now, I think to fix this, Palm/Motricity, really needs to post something here or a general press release about this (and any other software that might have a similar issue). They claimed in one email that the difficulty was that they didn't have records of people who bought the product before Motricity took over in I think May of last year. To me, that's an excuse, but one that they need to find a way around. Kind of like "oops, my dog ate my homework"
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  11.    #11  
    Well here is the email I got from Motricity and I'm really incensed at them and Palm:

    OK, James. I will post this in the treo forums so people know what the rules are dealing with motricity.

    I know this is the last product I will ever buy from you due to this weird unfair policy.

    Cheers,

    Tom O'Connell

    -----Original Message-----
    From: James Keith [mailto:James.Keith@motricity.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:37 AM
    To: Tom O'Connell
    Subject: Re: FW: Voice Dial / 700p - 650

    Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read
    the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

    If you buy or upgrade to a new device you must purchase a new license.

    If you have any additional questions regarding this matter please
    contact us and please include all previous correspondence in order to
    better assist you. Also, please refrain from sending multiple emails
    for the same subject as this only slows our average response time. Our
    hours of operation or M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Emails sent Friday
    evening, and over the weekend, will be answered as quickly as possible
    the following Monday. Emails are generally answered in the order they
    are received.

    Thank you for shopping at the palm Software Connection store.

    Sincerely,

    James Keith
    palm Software Connection Support
    powered by Motricity, Inc.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    I received a similar message saying that I would have to purchase another license. So I wrote them a long email explaining why I thought this policy was a bad idea for them and gave them pointers to this and the other thread here about Voice Dial registration issues. They got back to me pretty quickly and had me register and then said they had given me a credit toward the program. I didn't see a credit, so wrote them back and they ended up actually "purchasing" it in my account so that when i went back in it was there and ready to download. The registration code was also there and it worked perfectly.

    The letter was reasonable and not shrill in any way. I would suggest if you got something that says you have to reregister, you send them a cordial email telling them of your concerns. I could have been the "pissed off customer" but I chose to give them something which would help them understand that they had some growing negative press and that this would continue and hurt future sales not only of software but even of devices if they didn't clear things up.

    Now, I think to fix this, Palm/Motricity, really needs to post something here or a general press release about this (and any other software that might have a similar issue). They claimed in one email that the difficulty was that they didn't have records of people who bought the product before Motricity took over in I think May of last year. To me, that's an excuse, but one that they need to find a way around. Kind of like "oops, my dog ate my homework"

    DVDmon-

    You were sensible. I admit I was a little more of the pissed off customer, but we're not dealing with a mom and pop developer here. this is THE supplier of software for PALM !!!

    This is not the kind of policy that we can live with. If you had to buy all new software every time there was a new treo, it is unlikey that you would upgrade to each new model...palm is going to lose a lot more than a few software sales with stupid (and unique, thank god) policies like this.

    There SHOULD be an uproar at palm, motricity, and voicesignal if they don't change this... It's not so much the $20, it's the $400 for all the rest of the software that we will have to pay when we buy a treo 800 !!!

    well... I only have so much energy to put in it. I'm looking for another voice dialer.

    thanks,

    tom
  13. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #13  
    Tom, trust me, I was pretty upset too, especially since it took me a week at least to get this answer after first contacting Handango from whom I originally bought Voice Dial.

    But I generally believe that people (who are ultimately the ones you deal with when you ware communicating with a business) are more willing to help you when you are reasonable and talk to them in a civil tone. I'm also not a particularly confrontational person either, though, so it's a matter of personal style. But I think getting emotional about such things CAN make the other party more defensive and thus defeat the purpose. After all, my main goal was not to blow off steam, but to get the registration code I thought I was due, as well as to alert the company that this was going to hurt them. While I'm not an employee or a fan-boy and so am perfectly willing to criticize them publicly, I also have an interest in them succeeding and making good decisions for their customers, since I am one of them. I think it's a matter of how you approach things. Some issues can be resolved with reasoned discussion, whereas others cannot. A lot has to do with the company. I was once a big Danger Sidekick guy before I got my Treo 600 a couple of years ago. Tmobile was refusing to provide a conduit so that people could sync their Outlook data despite this conduit being available and actually being used by other providers outside the U.S. Tmobile was too big to get hold of someone personally about this issue, so I started an online petition about it. An online magazine for the mobile industry picked up the story and actually got a comment from Tmobile which basically said that they were aware of the petition but still had no plans to offer this functionality. This was a big reason I ended up giving up the Sidekick in favor of the Treo and wrote about this a bunch on my blog. For the Sidekick II, this functionality was finally included, but by then it was too late for me.

    When you have a person you are communicating with who's not just a sales drone who doesn't really care, or who has the attitude that they are just following orders (or the management culture is such that they can't openly talk to their managers about customer complaints), then I think it's worth it to take a chance on expressing your concern in a non-accusatory way. Make them understand that you are trying to help them. They may think you are just trying to get them to do something they aren't supposed to, but if you get someone who is smart about this stuff, they will listen to what you say and communicate it to someone who may be able to affect policy changes. It's always worth a shot. At least you can say you've done everything you could...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  14.    #14  
    DVDmon-

    You're totally right. I was hot, but as I read the emails, at least I didn't go over the top.

    In my last one, I asked for the phone number of a supervisor. The agent didn't give me that but wrote back asking for the information on the original order...interestingly, when I did the research on that, I found that my first treo 650 died and they had to give me a new reg code to install the software on the second one...so obviously there was intended a provision to resynch to another treo with the same user ID.

    we'll see if this guy now comes back with the answer I want... though I have to say, the amount of time invested is quickly getting higher than the cost of the software !!! lol

    thanks for calming me down.

    tom
  15.    #15  
    well, all's well that ends well. They took me through the same process as you...crediting and repurchasing. I guess they have no records earlier than May 05 and have to way to validate old purchases.

    thanks for your help.

    tom
  16. #16  
    I downloaded it from the swc site on my new 700p entered the code and away i went no issues.
    700pInIt
    Palm Pro > Plam VII > m130 > T3 > T5 > LifeDrive > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > 700w
    Holly crap who knew these Treo thingys were so cool!
  17. #17  
    Note that the latest version of Voice Dial is version 2.0. It ids a lot better than the previous because not only can youc all someon e but you can send email, start applications and look thing sup using voice command now....

    So if you get charged again, maybe because it is an improved product.
  18. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    Note that the latest version of Voice Dial is version 2.0. It ids a lot better than the previous because not only can youc all someon e but you can send email, start applications and look thing sup using voice command now....

    So if you get charged again, maybe because it is an improved product.
    Even so, the problem is that for those of us who bought the 700P, we had no choice but to use this newer version, since the older version didn't work. It's one thing to offer a more-feature rich version of a product and charge an upgrade fee, it's a whole other thing to FORCE people to upgrade and pay for that upgrade...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  19. #19  
    I have also attempted get a new registration code, following the procedures that the forum members have had success with. However, either I am being penalized because I was an early adopter of the program, or they are arbitrarily providing new codes to forum members. I also noticed that the version number is different. For the few who received new codes, was your previous code for the 2.0 version? If so, than maybe that is why you received new codes upon your inquiry to the new Palm software distributer. I have sent Motricity all the info they requested, but I don't think I will be as fortunate as some of you. The following are a copy of a couple to/from emails with Handango and Motricity:

    Discussion Thread
    Response (Ryan S.) 06/16/2006 01:06 PM
    Dear ,

    The product 'Treo Voice Dialing' that we sell only supports the Palm Treo 650. We understand that Palm has included the trial for this product on the installation CD that came with your Treo 700p. We are unfortunately not able to provide a registration key for this trial.

    Please contact Palm directly for assistance with this registration. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Greetings from the palm Software Connection (SWC) store! Please read
    the entire body of our reply before responding, if necessary.

    We need to no when it was purchased and from who?

    If you have any additional questions regarding this matter please
    contact us and please include all previous correspondence in order to
    better assist you. Also, please refrain from sending multiple emails
    for the same subject as this only slows our average response time. Our
    hours of operation or M-F 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST. Emails sent Friday
    evening, and over the weekend, will be answered as quickly as possible
    the following Monday. Emails are generally answered in the order they
    are received.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Daniel,
    I know that your company is handling the Palm 3rd party software at this point, but I purchased this through the Palm site back in 2004. I am attempting to get it to work on my 700P with the registration key, but it is not working. Handango has not been of much help, because they don't seem to have the version that works on the 700p. Can you provide any assistance, because Palm and Handango don't appear to be very receptive.

    Thanks,



    12/07/2004 Reference Number: View Invoice
    Product Registration Key Details Support
    Treo Voice Dialing by Palm, Inc. Download Product Support
    Handango Support
    Order Total $19.99
    Total Paid $19.99
  20. hub
    hub is offline
    hub's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #20  
    In my previous post (#8), I mentioned that I had not heard back from Motricity. That is still true. I guess after half a dozen replies to their emails they have decided to just ignore me.

    They have all the information - a copy of my original receipt from Handango, my Hotsync user name, my old registration key, but they seem to be selective about to whom they provide a new key. It appears that some get a new key, after a few tries, and some don't. This is not right. Either they provide a new key when you upgrade to a 700p or they don't.

    I am open to suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions